Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP W02

NM

Easy tiger! :lol:

These next 2 tests will not be indicative of anything other than reliability. Mercedes will want to iron out the teething problems they have had so far, and that is the main purpose of these 2 tests.

You must remember the team have never run KERS before, and the packagin looks o be quite tight. On top of that they will be evaluating the rear wing, which according to my sources they havent even really tested much of yet.

Once the car can utilise all its systems, then they can go test tyres. Once Tyres are out the way they can bang in a few laptimes. :D
More could have been done.
David Purley

FrukostScones

Has somebody seen djones he owes me 50 Euro?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

mith

FrukostScones wrote:Has somebody seen djones he owes me 50 Euro?
LOL ;)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

The first signs are that Mercedes are encouraged, but admit to not being at the "sharp end" of the grid.
A very changed car is being mooted for the final test, I think its very much a case of who blinks first during the tests.
Many expert onlookers have actually expressed surprise how the car looks supremely well developed in some areas and surprisingly basic in others(front wing). Contrast that to the Renault R31, which seems to be race ready.

The underlying sentiments seem to point to there being many bits and pieces yet to be tried on the car before it is fully up to speed. Somthing that is echoed by Ross Brawn saying in the BBC interview that they are only scratching the surface with regards to setup at the moment.

Its a softly softly approach thats in contrast to last year. We will see what Mercedes have to come [-o<

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 386502.stm
More could have been done.
David Purley

luca
luca

I really hope they are going to come up with a new front wing as soon as possible. Otherwise I would start to worry...no other team has ever had the same front wing for 2-3 years. It cannot be that perfect!

luca
luca

VALENCIA TESTING - DAY THREE

The first winter test of the 2011 Formula One season concluded in Valencia today with Michael Schumacher rounding off the three-day programme for the MERCEDES GP PETRONAS team.

The focus was once again on reliability and mileage accumulation with the new MGP W02 car, as well as giving Michael the opportunity to familiarise himself with the Mercedes KERS system for the first time. A strong day of running saw Michael complete 110 laps in total.

Michael Schumacher: “We were able to achieve a lot of valuable mileage and it was a positive day. I am pleased with that, and with how the car was behaving. Again, of course, this is not our final race car for the season but a lot of elements have already proved to be a significant step forward. I felt totally comfortable in the car immediately and noticed how much I had missed driving since November. We have a lot of work ahead of us, and this week gives us a very good idea of where we should concentrate our work. I look forward to going to Jerez now.”

Ross Brawn: “A good day’s work today with Michael, and we have been able to cover some significant mileage which is important for our reliability checks. We’re starting to get an insight into the car’s behaviour and its responses to various set-up changes are proving to be very consistent. After a few difficulties at the start of the test, we have finished with a strong day providing plenty of data and options to take forward to the next test in Jerez.”

Source: http://www.mercedes-gp.com/en/#/category/race/

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Good run today with quite consistent times in the longer stints. Top times and glory laps are not needed ATM.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Ferraripilot

If anyone recall Red Bull testing last year, they barely posted a time on the board let alone some rediculous 'glory run'. Those were done by Ferrari and Sauber last year though.

Intego

Ferraripilot wrote:If anyone recall Red Bull testing last year, they barely posted a time on the board let alone some rediculous 'glory run'. Those were done by Ferrari and Sauber last year though.
So this is a sign for Team Lotus to be WC 2011? :lol:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

PlatinumZealot

RedBull had their glory runs in the last test I think.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

warmasice
warmasice

luca wrote:I really hope they are going to come up with a new front wing as soon as possible. Otherwise I would start to worry...no other team has ever had the same front wing for 2-3 years. It cannot be that perfect!
i thought i was the only one to notice lol! they need real help with their aero dept looking at the front wing.. seriously!

mith

You're not the only one. It was discussed in this topic few times already and most probable reason they didn't develop that wing was to much weight at the front of their previous car. So adding more downforce there wouldn't help. I think, they'll have new wing at some point of the tests and maybe another one for Bahrain.

twoshots
twoshots

King Six wrote:Mercedes allegedly to copy the Renault exhaust system, and McLaren already have it on the MP4-26.
Renault has confirmed that the R31’s exhaust layout is the reason for the car’s slightly different engine note at Valencia.

"Renault’s thinking is in the right direction," confirmed Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn. "We are working on a similar solution."
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/McLa ... trick.html
'Copy' suggests it hasn't been developed well in advance of the R31's unveiling. I doubt we'll see it unveiled before Bahrain, or maybe the last test.
Does anyone know the advantages of Alu metal casing over CF that would make them decide to go for Alu?
Time, simply time. Looks like they simply decided to make some final decisions later and run with aluminum. I wonder how much welding will go on in the back of the garage...

ringo

For Sure!!

Ferraripilot

I have no doubt that come the final test in Bahrain there will be several different components on the car: wing, diffuser, barge boards. At this point, they are ironing out the tires, kers, rear wing, and suspension with little interest in much anything else for the moment. Their current minuscule barge boards have to be proof positive they aren't showing their hand just yet.