McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pup
Pup

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

timbo wrote:
Pup wrote:I think it's funny that the moment Ferrari switches to the McLaren style front suspension, McLaren switch back.
This is not a switch "back" they have steering arm really low, closer to the lower wishbone.
I don't see it. Is it not integrated into the top wishbone? :?:

segedunum
segedunum

ell66 wrote:oh and your last statement is complete rubbish.
The running off into the distance bit? Yes, it is really. :D
Back on topic......
:lol: A reminder to me to stay away from these crazy threads......

nacho
nacho

One of the lower noses this season, I'm referencing to the height of the wheels.

gridwalker
gridwalker

And so it begins #-o
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

timbo
timbo

Pup wrote:
timbo wrote:
Pup wrote:I think it's funny that the moment Ferrari switches to the McLaren style front suspension, McLaren switch back.
This is not a switch "back" they have steering arm really low, closer to the lower wishbone.
I don't see it. Is it not integrated into the top wishbone? :?:

horse

kilcoo316 wrote: The damping effect of the upper surface of the sidepod reduces turbulence to small scale stuff anyway; this "tunnel" will do something similar. Sure, there may be some BL growth, but drop the sidepod upper surface far enough so that is channeled underneath and clear of the beam wing.
horse wrote: If you lose effective angle of attack then make it steeper.
No can do, your limited by design-space (regulations).
Could you explain more about this damping effect? I would have thought that as the sidepod is a bluff body there will be some shedding from it anyway, therefore less sidepod, less shedding. I didn't realise you were restricted on beam wing angle, but perhaps it doesn't matter if the velocity magnitude of the air is greater because there is now a direct path?
kilcoo316 wrote: But I'm now also concerned about the vortex spilling off the upper nose surface during fast cornering - thats potentially going to run the length of the car now and screw up the beam wing (as well as being a low pressure zone in a very bad place).
Isn't this going to happen anyway, even with conventional sidepods?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

hugobos

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7554 ... 221240.jpg

I wonder if they have indeed two setups for the exhausts, the heat shielding under the header seems to extend to the front of the side pod. Or is it just my eyes.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

horse wrote:Could you explain more about this damping effect?
Air cannot travel through a solid surface, therefore the velocity vector normal to the surface must decrease in magnitude the closer you get to the surface - that has a damping effect on the flow.

horse wrote: I would have thought that as the sidepod is a bluff body there will be some shedding from it anyway, therefore less sidepod, less shedding.
Its not really that bluff... not in years.

horse wrote: I didn't realise you were restricted on beam wing angle, but perhaps it doesn't matter if the velocity magnitude of the air is greater because there is now a direct path?
Tradeoff... not that I'm sure its gonna be any quicker.
kilcoo316 wrote: But I'm now also concerned about the vortex spilling off the upper nose surface during fast cornering - thats potentially going to run the length of the car now and screw up the beam wing (as well as being a low pressure zone in a very bad place).
Isn't this going to happen anyway, even with conventional sidepods?[/quote]

The conventional sidepod will break up the vortex (and that will perturbate back upstream too) - this approach wouldn't.

wickerbill

horse

kilcoo316 wrote: Air cannot travel through a solid surface, therefore the velocity vector normal to the surface must decrease in magnitude the closer you get to the surface - that has a damping effect on the flow.
This is a boundary layer, I guess,
kilcoo316 wrote:Its not really that bluff... not in years.
so surely there will be some shedding of that boundary layer, no?
kilcoo316 wrote: The conventional sidepod will break up the vortex (and that will perturbate back upstream too) - this approach wouldn't.
I see that there would be more interference from a conventional sidepod, but is that good? The flows still going to be pretty messy, right?

I'm not trying to argue, by the way, just understand.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

horse wrote:This is a boundary layer, I guess
No, a boundary layer is more concerned with velocity tangential to the surface.

horse wrote: so surely there will be some shedding of that boundary layer, no?
There will be growth, but no reason for BL separation.

horse wrote: I see that there would be more interference from a conventional sidepod, but is that good? The flows still going to be pretty messy, right?
A messy homogeneous turbulence that does nothing is better than structured turbulence that invokes areas of low pressure where you don't want it (i.e. on the vertical surfaces of a car on the outside of a turn and on the upper surfaces of the sidepod).

adrianjordan

Forgive me, but why are certain people on here so certain that McLaren have got it so wrong and furthermore, why aren't those people employed by F1 teams???
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Poleman

adrianjordan wrote:Forgive me, but why are certain people on here so certain that McLaren have got it so wrong and furthermore, why aren't those people employed by F1 teams???
My thoughts exactly just after reading a series of previous posts...

+1 on your comment =D>

horse

kilcoo316 wrote:No, a boundary layer is more concerned with velocity tangential to the surface.

A messy homogeneous turbulence that does nothing is better than structured turbulence that invokes areas of low pressure where you don't want it (i.e. on the vertical surfaces of a car on the outside of a turn and on the upper surfaces of the sidepod).
Ok, yes, thanks and thanks.

thestig84
thestig84

Re: McLaren Mercedes MP4-26

(Jan 14th post on page 13)
thestig84 wrote: Back to the car, my friend at the MTC has caught the odd glimpse. Said the nose is similar to last years, no red bull copying on that front (that was just based on a mould so a bit of guessing involved). The only other bit of interest he could make out was the radiator intakes. He drew them shaped like a L and the reverse for the other side.
I would just like to have a little 'told you so' moment! Dont think anyone believed me as my post was totally ignored with people more interested in what colour the car is! My source isnt just me making stuff up!!

Anyway Im loving the 26 and cant wait to see the rear exhaust package.