McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Ignore segedunum, if it's not a Red Bull it's a bad car.

wickerbill

Poleman

Diesel wrote:Ignore segedunum, if it's not a Red Bull it's a bad car.

+1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe he is right as much as he can be wrong...but u have to admit his ability to flame other car threads after their presentations is remarkable!Hats off! :lol:
Last edited by Poleman on 04 Feb 2011, 17:56, edited 2 times in total.

hud
hud

Re: McLaren Mercedes MP4-26

thestig84 wrote:(Jan 14th post on page 13)
thestig84 wrote: Back to the car, my friend at the MTC has caught the odd glimpse. Said the nose is similar to last years, no red bull copying on that front (that was just based on a mould so a bit of guessing involved). The only other bit of interest he could make out was the radiator intakes. He drew them shaped like a L and the reverse for the other side.
I would just like to have a little 'told you so' moment! Dont think anyone believed me as my post was totally ignored with people more interested in what colour the car is! My source isnt just me making stuff up!!

Anyway Im loving the 26 and cant wait to see the rear exhaust package.
Ohh... somebody gonna get fired :roll:
“A vida é muito curta para termos inimigos.” - Ayrton Senna da Silva

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

adrianjordan wrote:Forgive me, but why are certain people on here so certain that McLaren have got it so wrong and furthermore, why aren't those people employed by F1 teams???
I'm worried they've followed the numbers from the tunnel blindly and not considered the limitations of the tunnel.

The tunnel won't do dynamic events like going through Becketts, and that L-pod could have some serious unforseen issues.

Probably not though, the folks there are very bright - but I'm still not convinced.

(As for your question; better hours, better pay, closer to home... loads of reasons why many don't even chase jobs in F1)

Richard
Richard

Gosh

The only thing we can rely on is that the inside packaging on display will be a diversion. They'll turn up with push rod suspension and an air box exhaust to blow the rear wing on the straights ;)

They probably chose to show the exhasut this week when they saw the Renault FEE. You can imagine their PR people saying "Lets show off our strictly coventional rear exhaust so everyone talks about that, that'll be fun!"

To be serious, I wonder if the use of a 2010 wing without an acutator is a sign that there something radical is going to happen in that area
Last edited by Richard on 04 Feb 2011, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

jac
jac

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Have to admit, at first sight the mp4-26 DOES appear to be "brave" from a design point of view. Then I took a another good look at it - to be honest, apart from the unconventional sidepods, there really isn't anything special that sets it apart from the rest of the pack. Sure it's a beautiful, eye-catching car (most of the past Mclarens were), but we should know better than to infer a car's possible potential based on it's looks alone (case in point: Ferrari F10 seemed "plain" compared to the "complex" mp4-25 last year, yet managed to outperform it for the most part in the hands of Alonso at least. Simple does NOT mean slow by any means then)

So.... will the 26 be quick??? Being a Mclaren fan, I'd certainly hope so! But it would be foolish to underestimate the other teams as they may have other, seemingly less-obvious tricks up their sleeves.

I say bring on the next test! can't wait to see this car in action..

akshat21
akshat21

wickerbill wrote:Image
Is it me or is the 26 lower than the 25?

gridwalker
gridwalker

Maybe in that image, but the suspension can be adjusted so much that the publicity shot ride-height is virtually meaningless.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

lolshark
lolshark

managed to flip the car in the game
and found a little spliter

if you want more images of it fliped ask soon before a close the window

im not a expert but could the 2 litle wing lets make the vortex so no need for the exhaust

wickerbill

akshat21 wrote:
wickerbill wrote:Image
Is it me or is the 26 lower than the 25?
Different pic angle - check the mirrors...

astracrazy
astracrazy

thestig84 wrote:(Jan 14th post on page 13)
thestig84 wrote: Back to the car, my friend at the MTC has caught the odd glimpse. Said the nose is similar to last years, no red bull copying on that front (that was just based on a mould so a bit of guessing involved). The only other bit of interest he could make out was the radiator intakes. He drew them shaped like a L and the reverse for the other side.
I would just like to have a little 'told you so' moment! Dont think anyone believed me as my post was totally ignored with people more interested in what colour the car is! My source isnt just me making stuff up!!

Anyway Im loving the 26 and cant wait to see the rear exhaust package.
Me for one wondered what the hell the L bit meant. Now it makes sense. Well Done got it spot on. :)

gridwalker
gridwalker

@lolshark : How in hell did you manage that? I was powersliding around and crashing with everything that I could and the car didn't even flinch ...
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

scarbs
scarbs

I did a very quick and rough analysis of the sidepods

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/02/0 ... -sidepods/

Ferraripilot

I can't be the only person totally baffled by Mclaren placing such weight outside the center of the horizontal plane? I forsee balance issues in the corners, unless of course the folks at Mclaren already thought of this and decided the good outweighs the bad. I just don't see any way to accurately test this in a tunnel.....