McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Intego

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

richard_leeds wrote:I missed the launch stream. Did they explain why they chose Berlin, why outdoors?
Maybe a bit late, it was a Vodafone marketing wish. I think that's why they had Florian König as presenter, who normally presents F1 races on RTL. BTW no name to memorize, he is :roll:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

timbo
timbo

For once their car is long.
And that definitely increases inertia.
Did they gain enough DF to offset that is what we would see at the races.

I like how this car looks actually, but I was probably the only person who liked MP4-10.

2011F1
2011F1

2011 McLaren MP4-26 and 2010 McLaren MP4-25 compared

Last edited by mx_tifoso on 06 Feb 2011, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed links

Giblet
Giblet

On a purely aesthetic note it has a muscular look to me that contains purpose like a work horse.

Some of the banter in the thread seems to come from random Mclaren haters, but historically, when it comes to paradigm shifts, they usually hit the nail on the head and others follow.

Carbon monocoque, zero keel front layout, f-duct, inerter, traction shift, etc.

Not small developments, some banned before they could be copied
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Tim.Wright

I wouldn't get too worked up about the moment of intertia. Compared to other critical design parameters it ranks pretty low in terms of sensitivity of overall vehicle performance. I have confirmed this to myself with some laptime simulations last year.

Also, its not the first system in a racecar to be comprimised for improved aerodynamics. They have been running less than perfect suspension geometry because of aerodynamics for many years now. Its all about about weighing up the benefits.

Consider they moved maybe 1kg of water 200mm further from the cg. A rough calculation suggests an increase of MOI of 0.2%. Really not worth worrying about if there are gains to be made elsewhere.

Plus it looks like the tanks are running horizontally not vertically which would mitigate some of the increase in MOI.

Tim

PS, Is anyone else wondering why there are 2 access panels where the f***-duct was last year?
Not the engineer at Force India

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Those panels were there before the F-Duct, I don't know what they are for. They are just above the wishbone attachment though.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Intego

To give Jensons feet some air conditioning. :lol:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

ell66
ell66

can anybody tell if the car has a double floor?

timbo wrote:For once their car is long.
And that definitely increases inertia.
Did they gain enough DF to offset that is what we would see at the races.

I like how this car looks actually, but I was probably the only person who liked MP4-10.

the 25 was also very long...........

H.Lyoud
H.Lyoud

Looks like a tank, good bye Monaco

vall
vall

the ass seems fatter that 25 and other cars for 2011! I cannot stop thinking that this complicated shape is far from aerodynamically optimal..... I would expect a more smooth shape as RB, F150 to be more efficient. Is this design an act of desperation or ingenious solution? I also wonder how did they find the time to develop so radical design. They were in the title hund until the end last and were developing 25 until very late in the season. It will be interesting to see how the car will perform

ell66
ell66

iv also got a feeling that there gonna change the nose, it doesnt look quite right, allmost doesnt fit right.

and for the 3rd time, do we think it has a double floor or not?

myurr
myurr

ell66 wrote:iv also got a feeling that there gonna change the nose, it doesnt look quite right, allmost doesnt fit right.

Look at the pictures of it being built - no it does not have a double floor. I also predict that the nose will stay essentially the same. The wings will obviously change, but the nose isn't going to be drastically different as they'd have to modify the tub.

ell66
ell66

myurr wrote:
ell66 wrote:iv also got a feeling that there gonna change the nose, it doesnt look quite right, allmost doesnt fit right.

Look at the pictures of it being built - no it does not have a double floor. I also predict that the nose will stay essentially the same. The wings will obviously change, but the nose isn't going to be drastically different as they'd have to modify the tub.
I dont think the tub would have to be changed, as long as it connected in the same way theres no issue. Like I said it just doesnt look quite right. there a lot more to come i feel.

forty-two

I don't personally see any double floor. But I think they might be making room to route the exhausts forward later. IMO that layout is just waiting to shift things around!

It's been said before on here, but I for one reckon they will either be streets ahead or lame ducks this season.

The guys at McLaren seem to know what they're doing though, so I wish them well for having the courage of their convictions. This is possibly the most innovative car I've seen in years.

It looks like it has a wide backside until quite close to the rear wheels, but I wonder if that actually matters for them, given the unique shape of the car.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

PlatinumZealot

I am sure they would chop off the top part of the L if they could. I think it is a legality reason why the top part of the L is the way it is. The side pod jas to be a certain height maybe? that would come inline with keeping the top part of the L.
Intego wrote:
ringo wrote:I would like to see how the radiators are located relative to the L shape.
myurr wrote:Image
I'm not quite sure if it's necessary to form this extreme L-shape. The upper quarter of the inlets seem to be useless, because there the air strikes on the border of the radiator. They could have slimmed the inlets because of their additional cooling inlets on top of/behind the airbox.
Otherwise, if they've had closed the sidepods up there, dirty air would mix with clean air, wouldn't it?

What a pity that the sidepod inlets look like ugly Korean consumer car design, but if it's efficient, I like it. O:)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028