Silly Season 2011 Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Afterburner

Re: Kubica's in hospital

I'm not seeing renault throwing away this car potential with average drivers, if they need to spend some budget to get a good driver i don't think they'll hesitate, they'll try hard to get at least some experienced driver like Heidfled, Fisichella or maybe a more talented driver like Hulkenberg.

Byronrhys

Re: Silly Season 2011 Thread

Too early IMO to talk about this, but i'll have a go, De la Rosa would be the best driver for them, he developed the Pirelli's and is a good development driver.

FrukostScones

Re: Renault R31

n smikle wrote:But De La Rosa was faster than Heidfeld the last time I checked.
when? where?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Heidfeld is unattached, altho linked with the BMW DTM 2012 prep and BMW M3 GT2 program for 2011 as well. Fisi is employed by Ferrari and wont go to Renault. Hulkenberg Im pretty sure that he is happy with the Force India Test role as he is on the Mercedes radar there. Liuzzi is posibly the easiest replacement, but is he worth it??? As for Senna, he is the marketing mans choice. Grosjean, i feel will be happy at DAMS as he is reconstructing his career at present.

However, could this be the seat that could see Renault try to get Webber and a posible exit route for him from Red Bull after the exploits of 2010??? Thus making it able for Riccardo to take over from Alguersauri at STR and Alguersauri from Webber??? Long shot, but a possible good one for all involved.

Altho another one is Lotus Renault giving Team Renault the offer of stopping the argument over naming rights for Kovalinen, and Team Lotus to take on Chandhok???

Many possibilities, but all will be revealed in due course this week i feel, once Roberts injuries are fully known.

raymondu999

ESPImperium wrote:However, could this be the seat that could see Renault try to get Webber and a posible exit route for him from Red Bull after the exploits of 2010??? Thus making it able for Riccardo to take over from Alguersauri at STR and Alguersauri from Webber??? Long shot, but a possible good one for all involved.
Sounds very interesting. But why would Webber go and leave Red Bull when it's got a chance of being a dominant pacesetter? And also, what would Renault do with Webber when Kubica is back to fighting fitness, if he does get back to fighting fitness some time this season? Then they'd have 3 race-contracted drivers in Kubica, Webber, and Petrov
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

fenix4life
fenix4life

Why not bourdais.
If I'm not mistaken he hasn't signed yet for IndyCar.

We could discuss his results with Torro Rosso.
Major problem with Bourdais would be the fact if the car suits him or not.

FrukostScones

My Choice if I was Renault, Kimi (I know...), Sutil (Hülkenberg could get his seat, maybe too expensive making the deal),Buemi (yes Buemi, this would give Daniel Ricciardo the Chance to race, I see no problem making this deal and Buemi is fast), Hülkenberg (better than Grosjean and Senna, I see Grosjean stronger than Senna).... Heidefeld maybe , de la Rosa no, bourdais no way.

Go KUB! Survive that mess and come back!

ringo

I wouldn't pick a rookie like Hulkenberg. Renault doesn't need that right now.
Senna is under contract as third driver, so if it's not him then it must be a driver like Heidfeld or Luizzi.

For nostalgic reasons, Senna is the best option.
He can step up, he's not slow and he's not really crap. He's third driver for a reason.
For Sure!!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

ringo wrote:I wouldn't pick a rookie like Hulkenberg. Renault doesn't need that right now.
Senna is under contract as third driver, so if it's not him then it must be a driver like Heidfeld or Luizzi.

He can step up, he's not slow and he's not really crap. He's third driver for a reason.
I dont get it, Senna isnt crap and he is 3rd driver for a reason, yet you discount Hulkenberg on the basis of him being a rookie? He has competed more races in F1 than Senna, and has a pole to his name let alone his lower formula record(better than any driver you mentioned).
Liuzzi? The guy is a journeyman by modern F1 standards. Heidfeld? Possibly and he is a very fast driver with proven credentials.
More could have been done.
David Purley

FrukostScones

ringo wrote:I wouldn't pick a rookie like Hulkenberg. Renault doesn't need that right now.
sorry, but Senna is slow. If he will get KUB's car ( I doubt that) he will be at least half a second slower than Petrov.

Richard
Richard

It all depends on Kubica's prognosis. The picture will be completely different if LRGP believe they need to find a long term replacement of similar standing.

Looking for someone to keep the seat warm is completely different from someone to be the focus of the team's development and leadership.

Afterburner

My bet here goes to Heidfeld, solid driver, experienced, consistent and with enough quality to lead Renault. My second bet goes to Fisichella, Ferrari wouldn't mind too much about it, they have an academy running so it wouldn't hurt them that much. If both fail, Hulkenberg it's the obvious choice, he's talented, he's completely fit to the F1 and he's manager ha's all the interest to put him running in a team like renault. Putting drivers like Grosjean, Senna, or similar it's like throwing money away. Kimi? Renault from this moment on surely woun't let none of his drivers drive cars like those.

Shrieker

If it's not Senna than it should be Kimi. If they can't get Kimi, then it should be Senna. Senna smoked both Petrov and Grosjean in gp2. I agree he's still unproven in F1 but he smoked Karun in 2010 quali's (why do people compare Karun with Senna I'll never know, maybe to drag Senna down ? -with all due respect to Chandok-). He was also better than Klien in the final qualifying session of 2010. Plus Boulier said Senna was the first in line if anything happened to one of the drivers just a couple of days ago. But I don't trust that guy ONE BIT. I'll be pleased if he goes ahead and proves me wrong.

About Heidfeld, Pedro de la Rosa, Fisi etc... They all had their day and could never establish themselves as consistent front runners when they had the chance. Fisi was at Renault 05/06 (and also ferrari 09), Heidfeld was at Williams 2005 (he did good though that season, but not nearly good enough) and de la Rosa substituted for Montoya more than half a season and couldn't touch Kimi.

Kimi is a proven top caliber driver, go get him. If you can't, give Senna the chance, let us see what he can do with a proper car. We do know he's much better than Petrov.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

ringo

FrukostScones wrote:
sorry, but Senna is slow. If he will get KUB's car ( I doubt that) he will be at least half a second slower than Petrov.
But he is 3rd driver. He is contracted as third driver i guess, good luck telling him Hulk will come in and take his place out of nowhere.

Oh i forgot abotu fisichella!! :o

Definitely i would pick a past renault driver. He would be a shoe in.

Other than that i think Senna can do the job.Can't judge him in the HRT.
For Sure!!

segedunum
segedunum

There's already talk that Renault could go with someone more 'experienced' than Senna. Who that is one cannot say. However, unless Renault can find someone to drive the wheels off that car like Kubica then their hard work and hopes could all unravel.