Kubica's Recovery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
segedunum
segedunum

Re: Kubica's in hospital

Let's all come to a right understanding. This is more serious than anyone has let on. Kubica was basically fighting for his life when they got him from the car. His Formula 1 career is over.

Let's all hope and pray that he can lead a normal, happy life with or without Formula 1. His career is simply not important right now. His life is.

Formula None
Formula None

reikorp wrote:
Oh my... How unlucky can you get... Get well soon is all i can say.
Or how lucky can you get?
Agree. Not hard to imagine that the news could have been even worse.
Gerhard Berger wrote: Good to see Fernando visit his friend.
Very cool.

I really hope Kubica can stage a comeback. There's still not enough info out yet to determine if that's going to happen or not. He's got all the medical attention money can buy and he's fought to and remained at the top of F1 for years. He can rise to this challenge no doubt. I wonder, if the injury to his hand is severe and unrepairable, if we will see the development of a modified steering wheel that could enable him to get back in the seat.

Even if this turns out to be worst-case-scenario, Alex Zanardi comes to mind. He remained active in athletics and lower-level motorsport even after losing his legs.

djos

segedunum wrote:Let's all come to a right understanding. This is more serious than anyone has let on. Kubica was basically fighting for his life when they got him from the car. His Formula 1 career is over.

Let's all hope and pray that he can lead a normal, happy life with or without Formula 1. His career is simply not important right now. His life is.
Seg, I think you are being overly dramatic, he should be fine for 2012!
"In downforce we trust"

segedunum
segedunum

No I'm not being overly dramatic. It took them about an hour to extracate Kubica from the car and he had long since lost consciousness. They performed over ten hours of surgery on him to keep him alive and then make sure his leg and hand were attached, which he could still lose. He's now in an induced coma.

He will not be fine for 2012. Let's hope he's just fine at all.

djos

segedunum wrote:No I'm not being overly dramatic. It took them about an hour to extracate Kubica from the car and he had long since lost consciousness. They performed over ten hours of surgery on him to keep him alive and then make sure his leg and hand were attached, which he could still lose. He's now in an induced coma.

He will not be fine for 2012. Let's hope he's just fine at all.
Seg, all reports indicate damage to his limbs but no reports have indicated any damage to his head, torso or vital organs which imo bodes well for a full recovery.
"In downforce we trust"

Afterburner

People forget, Kubica is lucky to be alive and all in one piece! Driving an F1 car isn't the same driving a kart, if he gets over all this injuries ( [-o< ) he still has to bring back his fitness levels and confidence to the top level. Injuries to leg and hand are critical to drive so i don't expect miracles about his condition.

segedunum
segedunum

Nothing bodes well for a full recovery at the moment. Just because his head torso or vital organs haven't been mentioned it doesn't mean that he's going to be perfectly fine and jump in a car in a year. That's just downright bizarre.

This is very serious. His life was in danger for a fair period of time, and still might be. Talking of a full recovery just dismisses the seriousness of this.

reikorp
reikorp

It took them about an hour to extracate Kubica from the car and he had long since lost consciousness.
he was concious all the time. Talked to rescue team, talked to Gerber. these are Gerber's words.

It could be the end of his career, and you're right about priorities. First we should be hoping he will be fine at all. But at the moment everything seems to be working well, he was concious after the crash for a long time (so brain is ok for sure), the surgery went fine, no threat to his life anymore.

So now, thankfully, we can think about his career. [-o<

kalinka
kalinka

Though I can't remember where I read, but some report said that he had internal bleedings too :( It's good to see that all the report since then confirmed that he is not in life threatening situation.

reikorp
reikorp

No internal bleedings. Confirmed.

Shrieker

When one hears the word "amputation" Didier Pironi and Michael Doohan come to mind. Pironi's legs were literally pulverized in hockenheim if i recall correctly. His legs healed and he almost made a comeback. Michael Doohan's situtation was similar. He later went on to win 5 titles back to back.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-top ... 57-11.html

There's always hope.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

segedunum
segedunum

He wasn't conscious all the time. Gerber confirmed that he drifted in and out of consciousness, and they then had him on oxygen until they could get him out. His life was in danger until they could perform surgery on him and there would definitely have been some internal bleeding from such injures, although they've probably manage to stop it by now thankfully. That's in addition to worrying about his limbs. There was a great deal of blood next to and under the driver's side of the car which you would expect from such injuries. I don't really want to post it here though and get morbid about it.

I don't know where people are getting these things 'confirmed' from. These are extremely serious injuries and we never get the full story as to how serious things were until a long time after. There's no getting away from it.

His career really should be the furthest thing from anyone's mind right now.........

segedunum
segedunum

Although relevant, this is not the appropriate place to be talking about his replacement. I just want to hear that Kubica is going to be reasonably able-bodied again.

reikorp
reikorp

"Robert był przytomny podczas całej akcji ratowniczej." exact quote.

If he even passed out it was from blood loss. The point was: brain is ok.

No internal bleedings - due to MRI, released about 17 CET. That means liver, lawns etc. are ok. There was a great blood loss though.

I have no intention of misleading anyone here, i realize how serious it is. You can still use quotation marks on "confirmed", but it's unlikely that the hospital spokesman lied to press. It's unlikely that Gerber told something opposite to what happened. It's unlikely that Rossello's reasonable optimism is fake.

Like Shrieker said: there's always hope.

djos

segedunum wrote:He wasn't conscious all the time. Gerber confirmed that he drifted in and out of consciousness, and they then had him on oxygen until they could get him out. His life was in danger until they could perform surgery on him and there would definitely have been some internal bleeding from such injures, although they've probably manage to stop it by now thankfully. That's in addition to worrying about his limbs. There was a great deal of blood next to and under the driver's side of the car which you would expect from such injuries. I don't really want to post it here though and get morbid about it.

I don't know where people are getting these things 'confirmed' from. These are extremely serious injuries and we never get the full story as to how serious things were until a long time after. There's no getting away from it.

Seg, putting someone on medical oxygen after an accident is standard procedure, it helps reduce the effects of trauma on the heart and lungs and helps the body repair itself faster by oxygenating the blood more effectively than the normal 20/80% Oxygen/nitrogen mix we normally breath.

segedunum wrote:His career really should be the furthest thing from anyone's mind right now.........
No one is disputing this however you are the only one writing him off!
"In downforce we trust"