Silly Season 2011 Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Afterburner

Re: Silly Season 2011 Thread

segedunum wrote:There's already talk that Renault could go with someone more 'experienced' than Senna. Who that is one cannot say. However, unless Renault can find someone to drive the wheels off that car like Kubica then their hard work and hopes could all unravel.

That's why i bet renault woun't think twice about spending some budget getting "the" driver for the job.

raymondu999

With Kubica seemingly out of the frame for possibly the whole year, they really are in the hunt for a 1-year-contract racedriver, aren't they? That opens up a whole new region of possibilities. They could choose to not honor Senna as the substitute seeing as the term would be a year.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ParanoiD

Re: Kubica's in hospital

i really hope renault will sign kimi as a replacement.

they are going extreme with their car, surely going for the title.

i bet they wont risk it to replace kubica with heidfield, or even bruno

kimi is their best choice, proven to be a very fast driver when given a fast car.
Ay Carumba!

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Wonder if they can get Kimi back in again...esp after the spat last year. Wishful thinking, but I hope he can put the R31 on the podiums regularly.

segedunum
segedunum

It will have to be either Heidfeld or Raikkonen, no messing. Renault have a great, great deal riding on getting some success this year and Senna and Petrov don't cut it. None of their reserve drivers were intended to be a replacement for Kubica and whoever comes in needs to have the experience to drop right into what Kubica was doing.

ringo

Kimi doesn't want to return though.
If he was up to fitness psychologically and physically, i would like to see him in the car as well.
But i don't think the motivation is there for him to be on top of his game in F1 again.

Heidfeld looks like a sharper, race ready driver at the moment. Or even fisichella who can do well with a good car.

If we ignore our own desire though, Senna is actually the man in line to take the seat. Boulier made it clear when he put Senna as 3rd driver, i don't think he'll renege on the deal an his word.
For Sure!!

raymondu999

Yes, but in a sense, don't they now need a 2nd/1st driver, and not a 3rd driver?
On the Kimi thing, isn't Kimi his own team boss now in WRC? Iceman Racing or somesuch name?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

countersteer
countersteer

If it were me, I'd bring in Heidfeld for the next test. There's far too many new parts on the car to develop at this point to trust the job to the relatively inexperienced. I'd switch between Heidfeld and Petrov (given his experience with the team) and evaluate the situation then.

I just can't see a Senna/Petrov pairing.

raymondu999

Maybe Webber? :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

segedunum
segedunum

I doubt it's going to be Raikkonen unless there is a serious will to do something. He has his own rally team with his own sponsors now.

nacho
nacho

I think nowadays the reserve driver thing is a bit fake. Anyways their situation is not to have a driver to stand in in-case someone has a bad flu, we are now talking at least about a whole season here.

vall
vall

I know it is nearly impossible but I would like to see JPM back in a F1 car

segedunum
segedunum

Whatever Renault do they need to act fast, because their season is in danger of slipping away already.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Raikonnen will not be Kubica's replacment. He has stated previously that he has no wish at present to return to F1 and is having too much fun rallying.

Of all the drivers available to Renault Senna is the only sensible option. Having raced last yer he will be up to race speed and fitness a hell of a lot quicker than Grojean, who relative to other drivers wasn't all that great anyway.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Lets weigh up the contenders:

Kimi Raikkonen = Good and fast driver, however has said he is done with F1 and has a WRC program to run. Not run in 2010. Odds:4/10
Nick Heidfeld = Proven quality driver, run in 2010 has Pirelli milage. However not a race winner in over 190 GPs. Odds: 6/10
Pedro De La Rosa = Quality tester, has Pirelli milage, and has run in 2010. However no win in 12 years driving. Odds 5/10
Bruno Senna = Has driven in 2010, however that was for Hispania, unproven in a quality car. Marketing mans choice. Odds 8/10.
Romain Grosjean = Last driven in 2009, is he a team leader, has Pirelli milage from GP2 testing. Odds: 7/10
Nico Hulkenberg = Driven in 2010, has Pirelli milage, talented, possibly not leader quality yet. Force India settlement needed. Odds: 7/10
Adrian Sutil = Quick, pirelli milage, lacks technical knowledge however. Can lead a team. Force India Settlement needed. Odds 7/10
Tonio Liuzzi = Technically on the money, not a proven team leader, Pirelli milage. Free agent. Odds: 8/10
Mark Webber = Can lead a team, race winner, pirelli milage. Would he give up a Newey car??? Odds 6/10

One thing is for sure, renault have limited choices and limited time to get a driver, and get him time in the R31. They need a decision tomorrow many have reported, as they will neat a seat fit then as well ideally, as if the seat fit is on Wednesday, the driver will more or less let a day go by to Senna who will have a seat ready for Saturdays running as it was to Petrov Thursday/Friday and Kubica on Saturday/Sunday. Id recon that program is now looking like Vitally remaining on his days with Senna & Grosjean splitting the weekend running.