Kubica's Recovery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ringo

Re: Kubica's in hospital

[...]

Maybe he comes back next year like Nicki Lauda and wins the WDC.
Last edited by Steven on 07 Feb 2011, 23:02, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Seriously...
For Sure!!

Formula None
Formula None

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: Philosophy clap trap is all very well with hindsight. You could also come up with counter philosphy clap trap like "follow that which fills your heart" or various others to justify Kubica's decision for his love of rallying.

Kubica is a sane man, he knows the risks. He more than anyone will know the risks...

Maybe instead of judging the man and what he loves doing, you could empathise with the mans unfortunate plight?
It comes across as a bit distasteful....
These are probably the same dudes who castigated Webber for cycling. Dreaming about how such great, obedient company men they would be if they were in F1...

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Last edited by mx_tifoso on 09 Feb 2011, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed content because it was a reply to another [edited] post
More could have been done.
David Purley

jddh1

mith wrote:I also think, that disallowing this guys do their passion would be similar to cutting their wings. You just can't kill their spirit if you want them to compete on the very edge of what's possible.

There is a handball player, Karol Bielecki, who has lost his eye during the sparing match in an unfortunate accident. At first he announced he's ending his career. You know, without 3D vision it's pretty hard to estimate ball's movement. But he started to train again and after some time in the first official match after the accident he shone like nothing has happened. Now he's back to representation and playing on top again. I know Kubica won't be able to drive F1 car with disabled hand, but he's the man with strong will, so he will do everything possible to recover fully and get back into F1 cockpit.
I don't have 3D vision since I was 5 years old. I'm 28 now and I still drive cars, motorbikes, play football, and rugby. Some doctors can't believe it but they think my brain has taught itself to judge visual depth nevertheless. So strange things can happen. One must work hard to overcome such hurdles and not give up hope.

I wish all the best to Kubica and I hope he doesn't regret going out racing the rally. What's life without taking risks? Boring and pointless. Of course, he's going to pay the consequences of his actions, but other than work hard to get back to normal it's really not worth worrying about what-ifs.

ringo

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: Care to mention which hand just so as to plumb the depths a bit further ringo?

If you ever have an accident, which is accidental by nature, do you beat yourself up?
You're even worse than me for pointing that out. :lol: I never even considered that.

Things are preventable, that's all i am saying.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCyVku1HvI[/youtube]

Hindsight is a thing though, if he never crashed we wouldn't be paying much attention to the dangers of extreme activities.
For Sure!!

Giblet
Giblet

Ask zanardi what his regrets are, and I doubt auto racing is one of them considering he still drives cars in anger.

I almost lost my arm in a workplace accident but I don't regret working. Even preventable accidents you don't beat yourself up any more than when you stub your toe. You move on and heal.
Last edited by Giblet on 07 Feb 2011, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing! #-o

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

segedunum wrote:
Diesel wrote:If this was Vettel/Webber you would be saying the exact opposite and that the media is dramatising it.

All you do is stomp around the forum trolling threads....
I make it a point not to feed trolls these days, but no I definitely wouldn't be saying the opposite if it was Vettel or Webber so don't presume to tell me what I would say based on your own idiotic and petty ideas of driver and team allegiances that have destroyed this place as a forum.

What you believe I think won't make this accident any less serious no matter who was in the car.
Everything you've said in this thread has been mostly negative, even in the post you wished Robert a recovery you wrote his racing career off entirely.
segedunum wrote:Let's all come to a right understanding. This is more serious than anyone has let on. Kubica was basically fighting for his life when they got him from the car. His Formula 1 career is over.

Let's all hope and pray that he can lead a normal, happy life with or without Formula 1. His career is simply not important right now. His life is.
Don't be so suprised people hate you around here. In a situation like this where peoples emotions are running high, they naturally wan't to hope for the best. Then you walk in and rub salt all in the wounds.

Nobody here knows the exact extent of Robert's injuries. Reports indicate he's mostly out of danger now. He's now in recovery and that could take any length of time, as you say racing is secondary for now, but it's still going to be important to him. Somehow, I don't think he'd appreciate you saying 'His Formula 1 career is over' as you so eloquenty put it earlier in the thread.

sink
sink

mith wrote: There is a handball player, Karol Bielecki, who has lost his eye during the sparing match in an unfortunate accident. At first he announced he's ending his career. You know, without 3D vision it's pretty hard to estimate ball's movement. But he started to train again and after some time in the first official match after the accident he shone like nothing has happened. Now he's back to representation and playing on top again. I know Kubica won't be able to drive F1 car with disabled hand, but he's the man with strong will, so he will do everything possible to recover fully and get back into F1 cockpit.
You don't actually need two eyes to have the 3d-vision, the brain interpreters the field of view and can quite effectively determine what's close and what isn't. Try closing one eye, its not like you're looking at a 2d image on your computer.

reikorp
reikorp

ringo wrote: Things are preventable, that's all i am saying.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCyVku1HvI[/youtube]
Very "european". Stay home, it's safer there. I'll better turn off my PC, cause the company did not actually trained me to deal with electricity. That prevent-it movie reminds me of Darwin's prize.

Robert is one of the predators, conquerors. Those are people who would rather die trying then lay down on couch after their full time "safe" job, moaning.

Things are preventable, but odds are clear: in 120 years period you have 0% chance to survive.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Not sure if this has been posted already and apologies for posting a whole report rather than a link but this is from Autosport:
Co-driver explains Kubica crash

Robert Kubica's co-driver, Jakub Gerber, has explained how their accident on Sunday's Ronde di Andora rally happened.

The Renault F1 driver remains in intensive care in hospital in Italy and is due to undergo a second surgery on serious hand and arm injuries and a broken right leg.

Gerber explained how their Skoda Fabia was penetrated by a section of barrier after Kubica slid wide into a right-hander.

"We knew the surface was slippery because of the humidity and we were ready," Gerber told Gazzetta dello Sport. "After skidding, the car leaned against the guard rail and pushed it outwards. Then it crashed against the following guard rail.

"The guard rail pierced through the car and went all the way through it. I immediately saw it was serious, he also had a bad bruise under his eye after hitting the steering wheel. Robert passed out and I exited through the window because the door was stuck.

"The ambulance arrived immediately and then came the firemen. They took over half an hour to pull him out. The first crew didn't have the shears so they had to wait for another crew. Then the helicopter couldn't land in that spot, so Robert had to be moved and more time was lost."

Gerber was critical of the section of road that had a gap between two sections of barrier, leaving the end of the second exposed. And he also called for increased protection around the cockpit of rally cars.

"That opening [between the two sections of barrier] makes no sense," he said. "But, most of all, we shouldn't have cars with so little protection at the front. It's not the first time a crash like this happens - the Federation should think of something to protect the cockpit."

When asked whether he thought the accident was caused by a car failure or a mistake by Kubica, Gerber replied: "In a competition you try to go as quickly as possible. Robert is the type of person that thinks hard, always looks a step ahead, he's precise, fast and clean. A complete driver."

Mauro Moreno, who was the driver on the scene running one minute behind Kubica, gave his account.

"It was a horrifying view. I called him by name a couple of times, but he didn't reply," he told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"The steel blade was coming out of the hatchback. His co-driver signalled to me he had no problems so I asked Robert if he was ok too. But that was useless because he was in a state of semi-unconsciousness and he wouldn't talk."

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

sink wrote:
mith wrote: There is a handball player, Karol Bielecki, who has lost his eye during the sparing match in an unfortunate accident. At first he announced he's ending his career. You know, without 3D vision it's pretty hard to estimate ball's movement. But he started to train again and after some time in the first official match after the accident he shone like nothing has happened. Now he's back to representation and playing on top again. I know Kubica won't be able to drive F1 car with disabled hand, but he's the man with strong will, so he will do everything possible to recover fully and get back into F1 cockpit.
You don't actually need two eyes to have the 3d-vision, the brain interpreters the field of view and can quite effectively determine what's close and what isn't. Try closing one eye, its not like you're looking at a 2d image on your computer.
Also, you can drive a Formula 1 car with one hand, the f-duct proved that :P

The gear paddles can be put on rockers (and have done in the past) so that you can push/pull it with one hand to change gear.

Anyway, we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves here. I'm sure Robert isn't going to lose his hand, how much control he regains is another question, but he doesn't need to regain 100% to go racing again, F1 or otherwise.

You guys all remember Alex Zanardi right? Robert Kubica's racing career is far from over :)

horse

reikorp wrote:Things are preventable, but odds are clear: in 120 years period you have 0% chance to survive.
Come on, you wouldn't partake in an activity which led to certain death. I think we all want to live even if we do like to flirt with danger.

I am hoping that, as Jakub Gerber is calling for, safety will improve because of this accident.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Just to echo Diesel's sentiments.

A glass half full mentality on this thread(with a modicum of class) is the underlying gist im getting. Although some(minority) chose to focus on Bobby regretting the accident.

Why regret something you cannot foresee or prepare for?

Its like victimising people going on holiday that are injured or killed in a plane crash. "Shoulda seen that coming"...Of course to say that is absolutely tragic and crass. Because you could use that same ethos for almost every action in human life, crashing on your way to work, choking on Big Mac or getting punched in the mouth for staring at a bit of skirt too long.
--- happens. Zanardi is a glowing monument to that. He nearly dies, loses both legs and 20 months later is testing a bloody touring car! And fair play to the man for having the balls to face his demons.

How about we accept Kubica's choice, but empathise with his current situation and hope for his long term wellbeing?
More could have been done.
David Purley

Shrieker

sink wrote: You don't actually need two eyes to have the 3d-vision, the brain interpreters the field of view and can quite effectively determine what's close and what isn't. Try closing one eye, its not like you're looking at a 2d image on your computer.
I'm a geomatics student, and I can confirm that. This has been discussed at length in our photogrammetry class plenty of times. However, it should be noted that the previous experiences of the brain in 3d vision (2 eyes) is what makes it possible for one-eyed depth perception (for a person who's no longer able to make use of both eyes). If we're talking about a person born with one eye functioning only, then depth perception is not possible (then again we're not medical professionals, but this was the conclusion we had reached).

fun site:
http://www.vision3d.com/stereo.html

Anyway, back to the topic. With one hand not functioning %100, sure he can go on racing cars but not Formula 1. I think this is the same for the eye case. I wish Robert a speedy and complete recovery.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk