Silly Season 2011 Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pandamasque

Re: Silly Season 2011 Thread

richard_leeds wrote:So LRGP have a problem, whoever they choose is likely to finish behind Petrov even if it is someone who is used to being in the top 6.
Why? Heidfeld and Klien were thrown into the cars in the second half of the season and performed (at least) on par with their team mates. And that was with zero testing. I'm sure any of them would outperform Petrov. Especially considering he likes to crash out randomly.

raymondu999

Klien hadn't been in an F1 car in years and he managed to outqualify Senna by a second on his first outing, too. I think petrov will be more consistent this year, but he would probably still be outdone (not outclassed) by someone like Heidfeld, etc.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

I'd go with Liuzzi and a few spare quid that he would have from his F.I payout.

I do like Nick Heidfeld and rate him, but would prefer a younger man to have his chance.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

fritticaldi

Re: Kubica's in hospital

The Italian media is reporting that Lotus Renault is not interested in having Senna nor Grosjean driving. Apparently the Black and Gold team is looking to secure the services of 2007 F1 WC, Kimi Raikkonen. Story to be followed ...

Richard
Richard

Eric Boullier has staid "We will look for Kubica's substitute: the names considered are Senna, Liuzzi and Heidfeld"

Nice to see BBC referring to the team as Renault! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 391462.stm

Senna is the in house option, and Heidlfeld the more experienced of the three. I'm not sure why Luizzi is in the frame. He is neither in-house nor experienced enough to justify ignoring Senna.

Looking at Heidlfeld's performance stepping into the Sauber last year, he'd be best of the three for me.

I'd feel sorry for Senna if that is the case. It is his bad luck that that the vacancy is a long term one for the lead driver role. I'm sure Senna could stand in if it was Petrov out for a season, and he could have stood in for Kubica for a couple of races, but filling the gap left by a lead driver for a whole year is too much.

raymondu999

Imagine if this car got Heidi his first win
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

The Italian media are just routing for a former Ferrari driver I think. Raikkonen has rallying commitments and I think mixing the two will be nigh-on impossible. Villineuve has been mooted but I doubt that (and hope not!) he is a realistic choice.

From what I read Senna and Grojean are still the obvious choices but with all these names being bandied about it may be that Renault opt for a mix of drivers.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

I can't help but feel that Heidfeld has had his shot at F1 and nothing major came of it.

For me Senna is the only sensible option but Renault may opt for several drivers throughout the season.

piast9
piast9

And Polish media say that Nick Heidfeld is under consideration.

WhiteBlue

andrew wrote:From what I read Senna and Grojean are still the obvious choices but with all these names being bandied about it may be that Renault opt for a mix of drivers.
I don't think these two have enough experience and obvious talent to replace Kubica.
piast9 wrote:And Polish media say that Nick Heidfeld is under consideration.
That would have been my first choice for a likely replacement. He has the experience, is sufficiently interested in the technical side for the development of the car and he is not going to be expensive like Reikkonen.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Richard
Richard

Perhaps they'll try them out in testing this week? Shame they're only allowed one car, it would be interesting to see a head to head shoot out!

raymondu999

Whoever it is, I hope they make the announcement soon. The suspense is killing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

vall
vall

raymondu999 wrote:Whoever it is, I hope they make the announcement soon. The suspense is killing.
may not come in another week or so. Renault say they will wait for the doctors to have more definite prediction on the recovery time-scale

raymondu999

They still could I guess. You're not restricted on the number of drivers you run on any day. Are you?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mith

I would go for Heidfeld, as he is pretty fast and very underrated in my opinion. Next choice would be De La Rosa or Fisichella. Choosing Senna or Grosjean would be counter productive in my opinion, as those two have no idea about helping in the car development.