Silly Season 2011 Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Silly Season 2011 Thread

I recon that its the only fair way, give Heidfeld a run and if he isn't fast enough, he isn't fast enough. Same goes for Senna. It means we can see how fast Senna can go in a quality car. Going on previous, it looks like its gonna be close.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/testresults/ ... mber-2008/

netoperek
netoperek

I suppose it will all depend on the outcome of Roberts due surgeries. If all goes well and prognosis on full recovery will be good, then the seat is Nick's, unless there's a chance for a very quick comeback, in which case Senna might be an option. If Robert's chances after operations would be low (god I hope it won't happen), then Renault need to find themselves new pure talent to base their team on, even compromising their 2011 campaign.

andartop
andartop

I think the shootout idea is good and they should broadcast it!
Realistically, I guess we could rule out Kimi, Liuzzi and De La Rosa.
Between Senna and Heidfeld I believe Heidfeld is the obvious choice, provided they are both fast in the tests. As good as Senna may or may not be he is still not experienced enough in F1 to lead a team like Renault. If he gets the seat and does not deliver it could be the end of his F1 career. I would get Heidfeld and then keep Senna race-ready just in case.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

And there isn't too much in the way of pure talent coming through. The only two coming to mind are Sutil and Hulkenberg, maybes Alguersauri. Lower down than that, its Paul Di Resta, Kimui Kobiyashai and Sergio Perez but they are about a season or two away from becoming mature enough for me. Lower than that its pretty much into GP2, AutoGP and World Series By Renault.

Lets see how the grid will mature in the next few years;

Red Bull = Will have Vettel; but will also have Alguersauri, Buemi, Riccardo, Vergne and even Sainz wanting that second red Bull seat.
McLaren = Will have Button and Hamilton for a few years, but are tracking Oliver Turvey closely and have Garry Paffett if needed.
Ferrari = Will have Alonso for about the next decade, roughly so will keep Massa around for roughly for the next few years at least, will probably put Perez or Kobiyashai in after that, but they also have Jules Bianchi.
Mercedes = Is Rosbergs team in the future, he will probably be joined by Hulkenberg, Di Resta or Sam Bird.
Renault = Who knows now, will probably keep Petrov, but if they want to keep the former USSR money coming recon it will be Daniil Kvyat that fills that seat if Red Bull ditch him.
Williams = Maldanado will probably be the teams cash cow for the next few year at least, probably recruiting Johnny Checotto Jnr as well.

I have thought of another one for Renault, Timo Glock. D'Ambrosio is in the Virgin team by Lopez Gravity Management, could Lopez offer Booth/Wirth money and a driver for Glock???

FrukostScones

I would be fairly surprised if Senna would be quicker than Heidfeld. I mean Heidfeld surely is no Hamilton or Alonso, but he showed some skills during his career. I'm not a big nor a small fan of him, but what do you all want with Bruno Senna? Senna was barely faster than Yamamoto.

I personally would have chosen Buemi, a future champion. And I'm not a fanboy.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

mith

Re: Kubica's in hospital

I said I would go for Heidfeld not only because I think he's reasonably fast. It's because both Senna and Grosjean lack experience with testing, which is crucial at the moment.

Shrieker

What have you got against Senna... HRT made him race with a goddamn damaged car once - or was it 2 races on the trot ? How can you compare people with that car. If he goes faster than Heidfeld and is more consistent, then the seat should be his. If he doesn't, good luck quick nick (and Senna's career will be over I'm afraid).
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

If he gets the call, Senna will be in the lead seat, and ultimately be in the same team that his Uncle drove for in his first season.

Renault was Benneton, Benneton was Toleman.

And if i was to go on the seat herritage, it would go Kubica - Miss a few... - Senna.

Im sure that Senna will bring a sponsor or two to make the R31 look better as well.

zenithbeach

ESPImperium wrote: McLaren = Will have Button and Hamilton for a few years, but are tracking Oliver Turvey closely and have Garry Paffett if needed.
i have a feeling jensen will not last that long. if he doesnt pull off something amazing this year, i fear his days are numbered :?

Pandamasque

ESPImperium wrote:If he gets the call, Senna will be in the lead seat, and ultimately be in the same team that his Uncle drove for in his first season.

Renault was Benneton, Benneton was Toleman.

And if i was to go on the seat herritage, it would go Kubica - Miss a few... - Senna.

Im sure that Senna will bring a sponsor or two to make the R31 look better as well.
A few sponsors may not be worth the millions lost in prize money.

f1aussie
f1aussie

The issue of Senna versus Heidfield is not just necessarily who is fastest, but who gives the best technical feedback to help develop the car...

raymondu999

Hulkenberg must be ruing the day Willi Weber chased the Findia race drive rather than the Renault reserve seat. Had Hulkenberg been a Renault reserve I don't think they'd have (too many) qualms of putting him in a seat. Hulkenberg and Petrov are somewhat rivals too, and a healthy rivalry could spur them both on
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

godlameroso

Or lead them to playing bumper cars
Saishū kōnā

raymondu999

true! But then again I don't remember then going wheel to wheel last year. Can anyone correct me?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Donuts

What a mess! How on earth will Renault know if they have a competitive car, without a driver to take it's performance to the limit. Don't tell me Nick Heidfeldt can do it, just look on qualifying performance his last two seasons with BMW-Sauber-F1. I even doubt that Kimi Raikkonen can do it, at least right from the start. Guess, Robert Kubica was right when he said that Renault needed to hire another experienced driver to be serious about challenging for wins. Timo Glock or Heikki Kovalainen would have been excellent choices. Now they are left with the "rookies", Vitaly Petrov's replacements. Maybe give Vitantoni Liuzzi a chance?
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.