Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tarzoon

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Running hot, are we?

Mandrake
Mandrake

What do you refer to? The slits at the coke bottle ending of the sidepots?

tarzoon

yes. Actually, they were there before, I just missed them completely

JohnsonsEvilTwin

It is the sexiest car on the grid for me. The W01 was ugly as sin, but this is lovely.

More could have been done.
David Purley

dren

From Autosport Live feed:

14:26 And while we wait, some insight from @TeamAnglais: I'll let someone else decide when it's the right time to start worrying about the pace of the Mercedes. But here are the details of the 14-lap run Rosberg just did before he stopped:

28.1, 23.9, 23.9, 24.4, 24.5, 24.3, 24.6, 25.0, 26.2, 25.4, 25.3, 26.1, 26.0, 25.7

He then pitted a couple of times but rejoined without refuelling or changing tyres:

26.5, 27.1, 26.8

Earlier, Webber was consistently in the 1m23s over a similar 19-lap run. Massa dipped into the 1m22s and then 1m24s late on two long runs. The only other car to do a stint as long as 12 laps so far is Trulli, and he dropped from 1m24/25s to 1m26s at the end.
Honda!

Mandrake
Mandrake

As encouraging as the long runs in Valencia were, as worrying are the times today, I only hope they were filled 120% or not flooring it at all....

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Interesting Dren.

But with the cars having fuel loads to do 70 laps, 1 seconds difference between Webbo and Rosberg can mean a fuel difference of 15 laps
Eg Rosberg full and Webber on 55 laps worth.

Conversely it could mean the opposite in which case Mercedes are dead ducks.

Not enough to go by just yet.
More could have been done.
David Purley

dren

I'm not too worried yet as it doesn't seem like Mercedes is worried, but time will tell. Let's hope the car was filled to the brim.
Honda!

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:It is the sexiest car on the grid for me. The W01 was ugly as sin, but this is lovely.

Honestly I though the w01 was pretty sexy as well. I loved the look of the low swooping nose and the color scheme is just beautiful. But I agree the w02 is definitely the sexiest car on the grid, it follows a very German design philosophy. The ugliest car is definitely the mclaren the first 2 years they used that chrome paint was kinda cool but now it's just getting old... Now with those predator style side pods it looks even worse. Just my opinion of course...

toshinden
toshinden

AbbaleRacing77 wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:It is the sexiest car on the grid for me. The W01 was ugly as sin, but this is lovely.

Honestly I though the w01 was pretty sexy as well. I loved the look of the low swooping nose and the color scheme is just beautiful. But I agree the w02 is definitely the sexiest car on the grid, it follows a very German design philosophy. The ugliest car is definitely the mclaren the first 2 years they used that chrome paint was kinda cool but now it's just getting old... Now with those predator style side pods it looks even worse. Just my opinion of course...
as well to me, two things i love the most from W01. the nose and the blade :D
"the day the child realize that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult" - Alden Nowlan

tarzoon

same here.

Wouldn't it be for the ugly colour scheme, the red bull would have been the best looking.

Ferraripilot

I'm sort of seeing W02 as Ferrari's sports cars from the 70s. Hardly the quickest things around but certainly the most beautiful. I'm a huge Schu fan so they better be playing tricks on us for the moment.

Anyone know what the deal is with their heat issue? Manifold problem maybe?

dren

Well heavy fueled or not, the car is putting in slow times. The same thing happened to Mclaren two years ago. Hopefully we will hear more.
Honda!

toshinden
toshinden

any negative comment yet from the drivers?
"the day the child realize that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult" - Alden Nowlan

dren

toshinden wrote:any negative comment yet from the drivers?
Last test both were positive on the handling. Nico said it was quite better than last year's car. But I haven't heard anything yet on this test. Nico should have a quote out soon.
Honda!