Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
toshinden
toshinden

Re: Mercedes GP W02

dren wrote: Last test both were positive on the handling. Nico said it was quite better than last year's car. But I haven't heard anything yet on this test. Nico should have a quote out soon.
that's good to hear, last year car was commented too understeer, their tyre heating were never solved, dragy #-o

still i feel lack of confidence about this year car, i know that timing is not determine the car's potential. but it's glad to see if they are capable posting a good timing though.
Ferraripilot wrote:I'm sort of seeing W02 as Ferrari's sports cars from the 70s. Hardly the quickest things around but certainly the most beautiful. I'm a huge Schu fan so they better be playing tricks on us for the moment.

Anyone know what the deal is with their heat issue? Manifold problem maybe?
same here, since Monaco GP 1994 :D

what heat issue that we talk about?
"the day the child realize that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult" - Alden Nowlan

Ferraripilot

Both drivers previously stated they were immediately comfortable with W02, which is a great sign considering both were immediately not comfortable with W01. The issue now is speed. What's the deal. Are they really not pushing for times, are they carrying a ton of fuel, fuel AND sandbags? Brawn is a clever fellow and knows what he is doing, but give is something to nibble on guys.

toshinden
toshinden

Ferraripilot wrote:Both drivers previously stated they were immediately comfortable with W02, which is a great sign considering both were immediately not comfortable with W01. The issue now is speed. What's the deal. Are they really not pushing for times, are they carrying a ton of fuel, fuel AND sandbags? Brawn is a clever fellow and knows what he is doing, but give is something to nibble on guys.
if it's true that the heavy fuel, is there any team which run heavy at the test? it would be good if there's anything to compare.

one question, when they develop the W01, do they have fund like they have nowadays?
"the day the child realize that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult" - Alden Nowlan

Florio
Florio

I'm surprised people are looking into testing times pace wise, considering the RB6 was mediocre last year during testing.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

I made some more animated png (if they are not animating for you, then you need a different browser) that show the differences between Mac, Merc and Ferrari. I know they are not 100% the same angle, but good to give an idea. I have tried to line them up against the engine inlet and the side head protections to get a good comparison of the main body.
I'm x-posting it for all three relevant cars.
http://imgur.com/a/zijFG

adrianjordan

Florio wrote:I'm surprised people are looking into testing times pace wise, considering the RB6 was mediocre last year during testing.
And in 2009 the BGP001 was so slow during testing that it only made it to the final test.... :mrgreen:
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

toshinden
toshinden

adrianjordan wrote:
Florio wrote:I'm surprised people are looking into testing times pace wise, considering the RB6 was mediocre last year during testing.
And in 2009 the BGP001 was so slow during testing that it only made it to the final test.... :mrgreen:
Brawn sandbaging once though :lol:

JohnsonsEvilTwin

toshinden wrote: one question, when they develop the W01, do they have fund like they have nowadays?
No, the W01 was not subject to the same amount of resource as the W02.
The W02 was being designed at a stage of staff influx to MercedesGP.
The W01 was designed at a time of staff redundencies at BrawnGP.
More could have been done.
David Purley

toshinden
toshinden

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
toshinden wrote: one question, when they develop the W01, do they have fund like they have nowadays?
No, the W01 was not subject to the same amount of resource as the W02.
The W02 was being designed at a stage of staff influx to MercedesGP.
The W01 was designed at a time of staff redundencies at BrawnGP.
thanks JET, the hope can quite high then :wink:

Ferraripilot

Rosberg set his quickest lap of 1:23.963 with a ton of fuel on board. Tire degredation levels like thiss with times varying 2 seconds are indicative of very heavy fuel loads. At Jerez, add a time of .300 per extra 10kg of weight. So with 160kg of fuel, one can deduce approx 4.8 seconds difference. All theoretical of course.

FrukostScones

Ferraripilot wrote:Rosberg set his quickest lap of 1:23.963 with a ton of fuel on board.
I hope you are right. But when I look at his laptimes it seems to me that the W02 is a tyre eating dog. That would be horrible!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Ferraripilot

FrukostScones wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:Rosberg set his quickest lap of 1:23.963 with a ton of fuel on board.
I hope you are right. But when I look at his laptimes it seems to me that the W02 is a tyre eating dog. That would be horrible!

With a lot of weight, they all are. Red Bull appears to be holding their tires together well, but I have no idea what sort of fuel load they are running.

PlatinumZealot

Not really, RB6 destroyed everybody in the late test glory runs, you just have to wait till then to see who really is the car to beat for this year.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

segedunum
segedunum

I really, really, really, really don't like them sidepods. They've got a pull-rod rear suspension but they're exposing very little clear space so any aerodynamic benefit they're getting from it is wasted. Those undercut style sidepods look like what McLaren was doing circa 2005/2006, and they probably looked better. They also look to be too high to me. Do the mechanical and aerodynamic people talk together in this team?

I see the two element front wing also remains. The raw figures tell you it creates more downforce but the driveability aspect is something you need experience with. You lose more downforce under braking when turning in than with a three element wing, but you need a good handle on what is happening. That is something that isn't going to help MS because he needs sharp turn in.

If it isn't fast it doesn't matter how good people think it looks, and the times it's produced are a cause for concern. Webber did a 19 lap run where he was consistently around the 1:23s. Rosberg on a 14 lap run averaged around 1:25 if not a bit worse. Of course he could have been tanked up to the limit, but on that kind of run you wouldn't learn anything useful. I don't know why Mercedes would fuel more to that extent when no other team seems to be doing so. At both Valencia and Jerez so far it hasn't been a lot faster than the Lotuses really. They might not even be midfield.

On top of that the car doesn't look terribly reliable.

Apart fom that it looks perfect.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Still a guessing game.

The W02 proved to be consistent at Valencia. In the Hands of Rosberg at Jerez it appears to be less consistent.

However, if he banged in those 2 times of 1:23.9 with full tanks, then the tyres will have fallen of a cliff as thats what it would do with that amount of fuel.
Every team will run their own race sim and it will be to measure at various phases of a gp run.

Some will be playing games.

At this moment I think Mercedes want the car to run reliably and consistantly before they go for any time flatout.
More could have been done.
David Purley