Kubica's Recovery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
archiebald
archiebald

Re: Kubica's in hospital

Tim.Wright wrote:I disagree slightly with your mechanism. I think a kevlar wall strong enough will buckle the barrier (or lightpost) before it builds up enough force to pierce the wall. The advantage you have over these long slender objects is that a one ton racecar will always be able to buckle it by hitting it end on. If this barrier had hit a pipe on the roll structure exactly that would have happened and it would have been a complete non event. But because it seems to have missed all the strong parts and instead gone through a path of least resistance.

Putting it in front of the crash structure is also the wrong thing to do since the wall has to be permanent, i.e. not designed to crumple away.

Tim
Referring to the part I highlighted - Have you ever seen one of those videos of people throwing playing cards across the room and cutting fruit up? Or chopsticks sticking into wood? Tornadoes and hurricane effects showing wooden posts embedded into buildings and cars. You can even hurt yourself with a drinkng straw if it catches you just right.

Point being that a long thin straight object is always going to have the advantage, even if the object it collides with is harder or heavier. You'd need to make every part of the car stronger than every other part.....errrr!!! :wtf:

Even then, I doubt you'd stop every case. After all, who would have believed the shocking results to Kubica's car if they had not seen the photos for themselves.

RAF
RAF

The 3d video looks wrong IMO. it looks like it doesn't seem to follow the laws of physics. If the barrier had gone into the car like that it would have continued to try to create a circle rather than come out of the back of the car in a straight line. The end piece still attached is evidence that it was a separate section. There is no way to prevent intrusion like this. If you make the bulkhead so hard that nothing can penetrate it then the energy will simply be transmitted to the safety cell and hence the driver and co-driver. The only way to prevent this would be a shaped bulkhead similar to those used underneath military vehicles that are designed to withstand land mines. i.e. shaped to deflect intruding objects. How one would construct such a device that can be contained within a car that (by the rules) is supposed to be based on road car would be very difficult.

Pandamasque

RAF wrote:The 3d video looks wrong IMO. it looks like it doesn't seem to follow the laws of physics. If the barrier had gone into the car like that it would have continued to try to create a circle rather than come out of the back of the car in a straight line. The end piece still attached is evidence that it was a separate section. There is no way to prevent intrusion like this. If you make the bulkhead so hard that nothing can penetrate it then the energy will simply be transmitted to the safety cell and hence the driver and co-driver. The only way to prevent this would be a shaped bulkhead similar to those used underneath military vehicles that are designed to withstand land mines. i.e. shaped to deflect intruding objects. How one would construct such a device that can be contained within a car that (by the rules) is supposed to be based on road car would be very difficult.
IMO, It much easier and much cheaper to check and fix every rally stage, so there are no railings without concrete blocks at the ends, and similar hazardous objects.

gibells
gibells

Pandamasque

"Get well soon, Robert"

netoperek
netoperek

I hope this guy will get it right this time (its in Polish):
http://babol.pl/kat,1025465,title,Slynn ... caid=6bc25

BTW. I happen to know that man, and i can tell You, that he certainly DO have some abilities, that can't be explained...But have some mistakes on his account as well.

Shrieker

netoperek wrote:I hope this guy will get it right this time (its in Polish):
http://babol.pl/kat,1025465,title,Slynn ... caid=6bc25

BTW. I happen to know that man, and i can tell You, that he certainly DO have some abilities, that can't be explained...But have some mistakes on his account as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB33z6qFJqM

:lol:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Mystery Steve
Mystery Steve

ESPN wrote: Lotus Renault driver Robert Kubica left intensive care Thursday and was transferred to a trauma ward after a crash left him with several injuries.

The Polish driver crashed while competing in a rally Sunday. He had surgery on a broken right hand at a hospital about 35 miles southwest of Genoa.

Lotus Renault team principal Eric Boullier said Kubica would have surgery on his elbow, shoulder and wrist on Friday. He said Kubica would be out for at least three months.

Nick Heidfeld likely will replace Kubica and partner with Russian driver Vitaly Petrov when the season starts March 11 in Bahrain. F1 teams showed their support for Kubica by writing 'Get Well Soon Robert' on their cars.

Donuts

The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

raymondu999

Well reports are saying he's recovering very fast. Maybe it's his F1 level fitness. But I doubt we'll see him compete in more than, say... 5 races
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

gridwalker
gridwalker

Given his laundry-list of injuries, I think even being fit enough for 5 races would be optimistic ... I would prefer to see him slowly work his way back in as a friday driver at first, just to check (and build up) his initial endurance level.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Donuts

raymondu999 wrote:Well reports are saying he's recovering very fast. Maybe it's his F1 level fitness. But I doubt we'll see him compete in more than, say... 5 races
I read polish media interview(might be that they are exaggerating to some extent) in which he said that after the 2003 accident, he drove six weeks afterwards, bone(3 months) not healed and fixation on right arm so he could'nt use it properly and still managed pole position in F3. The accidents was not as bad, but he had 14 titanium screws fixed. I'm an potimist, let's say five-six months, where does that leave us? Eight races, too bad he'll miss out on Monaco!
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

raymondu999

Sorry, 2003? What happened? I don't generally follow lower racing formula other than GP2 or DTM, and he didn't come through GP2 to my knowledge, so I'm not familiar with any events regarding Robert pre-F1.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Callum

The autosport report says he arrived at hospital with TWO PINTS of blood in his system (1 litre). No wonder he was so close to death.

"When he arrived here he had only one litre of blood," Morelli said. "'Call the boy's parents,' the doctors told me on Sunday afternoon. I felt a chill in my spine."

source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89406

rsist
rsist

in 2003 he won in noirisring in his first F3 race just 2 months after a road accident, with 14 titanium screws in his forearm