Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Mercedes GP W02

ringo wrote:It's basically saying that you cant have crash structures out in the open air, and if you try to be smart and put a tube over them to say the external air isn't contacting it, the second part of the regulation ensures closed sections like tubes can't be used to encase the structure.
Well, if the impact structure is outside
450mm and 875mm forward of the rear edge of the cockpit template
(not sure if it possible, though) you may have closed sections.

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

LoudHoward wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:Both drivers previously stated they were immediately comfortable with W02, which is a great sign considering both were immediately not comfortable with W01.
"The first impressions of the car were very positive"

"It felt great"

"It felt good, yes"

"It generally felt very good"

Quotes from Nico Rosberg, February 1st 2010.
If I may add, just remember what he was used to... If you have driven a Lada for 5 years and then step into an opel/vauxhall it will feel great as well, doesn't mean it's a good car.

Schumacher on the other hand was used to nothing but the best, hence why his assesment was somewhat more grim...

Not saying it's the case. Just food for thought...
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Lindz

Ferraripilot wrote:Both drivers previously stated they were immediately comfortable with W02, which is a great sign considering both were immediately not comfortable with W01.

xpensive
xpensive

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: ...
- The way I see the W02 at the moment its just a shell. You can plainly see that.
- There are cars out there with fully developed race ready parts, and Mercedes is not even close to that.
- We dont need an Autosport column to tell us that, we can plainly see that is the case by looking at the car.
- The team appear to be looking at cooling issues, and also KERS and ARW systems.
- There are no additions to the car from Valenica.
All of the above are most positive signs for MGP, aren't they? (xcuse my editing) =D>

Having nightmares about Nurburgring JET...I better grow a taste for Nomex asap!

Edit: Ooops...guess irony can be difficult to convey in written form?
Last edited by xpensive on 11 Feb 2011, 10:34, edited 2 times in total.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

I agree with expensive and hope that Michael and Nico will manage to keep Nick, Felipe and Mark behind. Alonso, Sebastian and Lewis will be out of their reach.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

raymondu999

Nick? Do you mean Jenson?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr
myurr

LoudHoward wrote:

"It felt great"

"It felt good, yes"

"Rosberg relying on Bahrain update"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89391

What worries me is that last year they also pinned their hopes on a 'major upgrade' for the first race that never really materialised. I think Merc have gone down the wrong path again and that if this proves to be the case they really need to do something to shake out the old mistake ridden Honda engineers and replace them with new blood.

raymondu999

Well Rosberg also said the W01 would be completely different between Barcelona testing and Bahrain, and that never really happened.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

kalinka
kalinka

+1 for xpensive.
If you sum all the things that should be only temporary or undeveloped on this car, it really must be only a shell...and it's not good, considering all the development time thay had. I mean they esentially should came out with a totally different car if all the previous posters suggesting that were true. I doubt that's the case. It would be too much of a change considering there is so little time until season start.

Martin Keene
Martin Keene

ringo wrote:
3.8.6 The impact absorbing structures defined by Article 15.5.2 must be fully enclosed by bodywork, such that no part of the impact structure is in contact with the external air flow. When cut by a longitudinal vertical plane, the bodywork enclosing these impact structures must not form closed sections in the region between 450mm and 875mm forward of the rear edge of the cockpit template.
It's basically saying that you cant have crash structures out in the open air, and if you try to be smart and put a tube over them to say the external air isn't contacting it, the second part of the regulation ensures closed sections like tubes can't be used to encase the structure.
15.5.2 Between the front and rear roll structures, on each side of the survival cell, impact absorbing structures
must be fitted and must be solidly attached to it. The purpose of these structures is to protect the driver in the event of a lateral impact and, in order to ensure this is the case, a lateral strength test in the vicinity of the driver's seating position must be carried out successfully. Details of the test procedure may be found in Article 18.2.2.
How does that regulation work for the nose box that is also the impact structure. Very odd...

Lindz

myurr wrote:
LoudHoward wrote:

"It felt great"

"It felt good, yes"

"Rosberg relying on Bahrain update"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89391

What worries me is that last year they also pinned their hopes on a 'major upgrade' for the first race that never really materialised. I think Merc have gone down the wrong path again and that if this proves to be the case they really need to do something to shake out the old mistake ridden Honda engineers and replace them with new blood.
I've worked with Honda engineers that were part of the F1 effort. I used to think the same way as you, but not anymore. To me, what lets the team down (consistently) stems from someone or some thing at Brackley.

What would the BGP 001 be without that double diffuser? That was (as I have come to understand) purely a Honda engineer's concept. I've met the gentleman, he is very proud of what he did and very disappointed with Honda's decision. When Honda pulled out of F1, they left the car and that's it; no engineers at all.

I'm not one to throw wild assumptions around but in my eyes Merc look in trouble yet again.

kentech
kentech

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/featu ... erez-blog/

"But if hiding from snappers is all McLaren has to worry about, then it can close up shop tonight pretty happy. The same can't really be said for Mercedes.

Charged with going to Nico Rosberg's media session, I was curious to find out how his day had gone. He was certainly talkative when asked a couple of easier questions, but when attention turned to the car's apparent lack of performance, his answers became very short.

It might not have come across in his quotes, but there was a very downbeat German standing in front of us. The big Mercedes update is coming so late that it might not arrive until the first race, which suggests that it hasn't been in the pipeline for very long."

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Can you not look at the W02 and see it has pretty much the same rear and front wings, tiny bargboards and also no pod fences?
The cumulative effective of just these isnt verifiable, but its pretty big.
Then we have the potential modifications to the sidepods.

Write them off, but its a tad unfair when you can actually see where the next updates are due.
It doesnt look great on the surface of things, but we will see come Bahrain wether detractors have jumped the gun writing off Mercedes after 4 days testing.
More could have been done.
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

I know I'm an old fashioned old fart JET, but what I tell my young diciples is to try and get things right the first time.

I fail to see the merit in spending time and resources on something you plan to improve on and/or replace anyway?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

feynman
feynman

Lindz wrote:I've worked with Honda engineers that were part of the F1 effort. I used to think the same way as you, but not anymore. To me, what lets the team down (consistently) stems from someone or some thing at Brackley.
I haven't worked with any Honda engineers, but I agree entirely with your assesment. The Brackley Hondas were uniformly horrible, the first real Honda Honda was the Brawn.

We saw how, once handed over, that faded and staggered over the line as the season progressed, we also saw the first Brackley Mercedes.

It is of course way too early to make any assumptions, but I also say they have got plenty of form, a clear track record, such that any concerns will remain legitimate until demonstrated otherwise.