Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Mercedes GP W02

feynman wrote:The Brackley Hondas were uniformly horrible, the first real Honda Honda was the Brawn.
Actually Brackley was better than Japan. the 07 and 08 Hondas were designed by Honda, while everything before and after has been Brackley. Even the Brawn was a 2-year project as supervised by Brawn, but done in Brackely.
Martin Keene wrote:How does that regulation work for the nose box that is also the impact structure. Very odd...
My understanding is that there is a crash structure inside the nose, over which there is an aero "skin"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

xpensive wrote:I know I'm an old fashioned old fart JET, but what I tell my young diciples is to try and get things right the first time.
I fail to see the merit in spending time and resources on something you plan to improve on and/or replace anyway?
A good point X, but Im Mercedes fan, forgive my optimism in dark hours. I will wait before giving my verdict just yet.
feynman wrote:It is of course way too early to make any assumptions, but I also say they have got plenty of form, a clear track record, such that any concerns will remain legitimate until demonstrated otherwise.
Again a very valid point. There are echoes of 2010 with this car. The team promising all sorts of additions, with them failing to materialise.
I will give Brawn the benefit of the doubt, as it is still early days and the team have gone on record to say they arent looking at performance nor will they be in the first 2-3 tests.
There is a precedent though and that has me unnerved.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Lindz

raymondu999 wrote:
feynman wrote:The Brackley Hondas were uniformly horrible, the first real Honda Honda was the Brawn.
Actually Brackley was better than Japan. the 07 and 08 Hondas were designed by Honda, while everything before and after has been Brackley. Even the Brawn was a 2-year project as supervised by Brawn, but done in Brackely.
Yup. Not saying that the Japanese-designed Hondas were great (the guy who created the infamous 'Rabbit Ears' works in this same studio) by any means. But the greatness of the BGP 001 was without doubt the double diffuser. And that was a Honda engineer, Japanese.

Surprising (to me) but makes sense seeing as how close Brackley were to throwing away the '09 season once others caught on to the DDD.

Brackley is in dire need of some new blood with fresh ideas.

raymondu999

Ah. Right. But Toyota & Williams had the DDD too though. So it can't JUST be the DDD. Actually, IIRC, I don't remember Brawn ever being hailed as a technical genius even in his Ferrari heydays. He was the genius pitwall strategist, more like.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Raptor22
Raptor22

Everyone caught up to Brawn's BBP001 because the team did not have sufficient funding to develop the car as much as they needed to.
Their strategy was to exploit the technical advantage they had the beginning of the year and build up a lead in the championships. they did this by milking the engines they had as hard as they could and once they reached a point in the championship where they could back off on power they did just that in order to rpeserve the engines and their lead.

Lindz

raymondu999 wrote:Ah. Right. But Toyota & Williams had the DDD too though. So it can't JUST be the DDD. Actually, IIRC, I don't remember Brawn ever being hailed as a technical genius even in his Ferrari heydays. He was the genius pitwall strategist, more like.
Right, but as I remember, theirs wasn't the same concept actually. It wasn't fed in the same way, and the Brawn's moved a much greater volume of air than the Toyota & Williams concepts.

Anyways, whether it's an inability or a oversight, Brackley doesn't seem to have an awesome track record with development/updates/etc.

raymondu999

Brackley has always been bad with tyres actually. And that trend continued even with their championship winner BGP001
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Finally some 'fast' laps:

1. Schumacher Mercedes GP W02 1:21.408 18
2. Webber Red Bull Racing RB7 1:21.613 + 0.205 + 0.205 19

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Ganxxta wrote:Finally some 'fast' laps:

1. Schumacher Mercedes GP W02 1:21.408 18
2. Webber Red Bull Racing RB7 1:21.613 + 0.205 + 0.205 19
[-o<
Also, Rosbergs rear wing wasnt working.
"My rear wing wasn't working today, and that takes away so much from the lap time. It's really early days."
More could have been done.
David Purley

Mandrake
Mandrake

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: Also, Rosbergs rear wing wasnt working.
"My rear wing wasn't working today, and that takes away so much from the lap time. It's really early days."
Sorry for being slightly off-topic, but my understanding was that the ARW only works when being withing sth. like 2 seconds from the driver in front.....is it now usable on every straight? Because else I fail to understand how that wing can be the source of slow laptimes.

Manth
Manth

In testing, practice and qualifying you can do what you like with the rear wing as often as you like.

Under race conditions, you're right.

GSBellew
GSBellew

10:14 Schumacher regains the top spot with a 1m20.352s, the fastest time of the week so far

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Manth wrote:In testing, practice and qualifying you can do what you like with the rear wing as often as you like.

Sure about that?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Ganxxta wrote:
Manth wrote:In testing, practice and qualifying you can do what you like with the rear wing as often as you like.

Sure about that?
Yes, that is the way it is.

Raptor22
Raptor22

DArn, man thatcar must be an absolute dog! Look at that, fastest time of the week. Oh well, I better start buying some Force India kit cos I'm going to be eating plenty Curry this year.