Williams FW33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
adrianjordan

Re: Williams FW33

ESPImperium wrote:Interesting the engine that Williams is using isn't the CA2011, but the CA2011k, meaning they are using a KERS ready engine.

http://www.attwilliams.com/news/view/1695
Given that they're running with KERS on the car, wouldn't they have to have a KERS ready engine??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

It's not interesting at all, Cosworth vowed to supply a KERS-ready engine from the start to any customer who wanted it.

Remarkably, I was able to find an article of ours from June 2010 through google. I knew I had written something about this. :)

Cosworth preparing for KERS in light of customers intent to use it in 2011 - F1Technical
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Florio
Florio

Williams have had quite a few nibbles concerning reliability. I can't decide if it's just teething problems or actual overall reliability effected by the hunt for performance.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Is Williams being sneaky??????? Look at this pic (and of course there are others) that show the unique rear end of the Williams. The shape is quite blunted and pretty well sealed.

So where are the radiator exits you might ask????????? Good question .. it looks like they have directed a lot of exit airflow over the diffuser in an effort to increase airflow over the top of the diffuser exit. Anyone whose' played with similar ideas will testify that the radiator just kills the airspeed though so it would be a non starter you would think ..

BUT .. what if Williams is ducting some full stream airflow thru the sidepods and onto the top of the diffuser area? Is there any rule that states that all airflow entering the sidepods has to pass thru a heat exchanger? If not the careful radiator exhaust ducting over the diffuser could make for an interesting result.

joseff

BreezyRacer wrote: BUT .. what if Williams is ducting some full stream airflow thru the sidepods and onto the top of the diffuser area?
This is what people are saying about the Renault R31. But the Renault has clearly visible outlets, flat and wide above the diffuser.

raymondu999

Does anyone else think that the packaging on the FW33 isn't as good as on the RB7? Sure it's got the only tight rear end thta can rival Red Bull's, but the Red Bull's rear terminates very gradually, while this seems like it falls off a cliff. The word "deformed" comes to mind.

Surely the sudden drop like a cliff can't be as good as a gradually tapering rear end?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

drunkmunky
drunkmunky

The flow is coming from the sidepods and it wips into the rear wing. As long as there is clearance, I don't think it's too substantial how the formwork drops off.

All of last years car ran with wide openings as engine ventilation.

As for blowing the diffuser via the radiator ports.

I think the area next to the gearbox is too narrow/small to have an adequate effect, but if it was, it would be high density.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Florio wrote:Williams have had quite a few nibbles concerning reliability. I can't decide if it's just teething problems or actual overall reliability effected by the hunt for performance.
Probably just normal problems because they haven't really gotten any noticeable performance out of this new car. So far they've been out of the top five in every test day so far, and Maldonado is near the bottom in almost every day he's driven. This doesn't bode well for the team, despite having a petite gearbox and pull-rod suspension.

Hopefully they improve and show more potential in the upcoming days and tests. I would like for them to be near or at the top before Frank Williams retires.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

FW17

BreezyRacer wrote:Anyone whose' played with similar ideas will testify that the radiator just kills the airspeed though so it would be a non starter you would think ..

Why not use the exhaust gases to increase the airspeed of the radiator air through a afterburner arrangement?

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Does anyone else think that the packaging on the FW33 isn't as good as on the RB7? Sure it's got the only tight rear end thta can rival Red Bull's, but the Red Bull's rear terminates very gradually, while this seems like it falls off a cliff. The word "deformed" comes to mind.

Surely the sudden drop like a cliff can't be as good as a gradually tapering rear end?
Interesting thought, What if the sudden drop off causes more airflow from over the top to flow down on the beam wing, and then how would this low pressure zone affect the upper planes of the rear wings?

Just a thought, didnt get the best marks at thermofluids tho
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

zgred

bar555
bar555

Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Well now that Rubens has laid down a scorcher time on the last day of testing to lead the week by a half second, I guess we'll see some more traffic here .. The speculation begins!

donskar
donskar

BreezyRacer wrote:Well now that Rubens has laid down a scorcher time on the last day of testing to lead the week by a half second, I guess we'll see some more traffic here .. The speculation begins!
It would be great to see Williams in contention for wins again. And good for F1. I don't see them being able to sustain a challenge throughout the season -- too thin on resources.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

FrukostScones

BreezyRacer wrote:Well now that Rubens has laid down a scorcher time on the last day of testing to lead the week by a half second, I guess we'll see some more traffic here .. The speculation begins!
German AutoMotorUndSport reports that some people think that the Willimas was underweight when it ran that laptime. Quote of an unnamed actual F1-driver "I don't believe this time. If that is real, they will be up front (with us)"
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.