Kubica's Recovery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: Kubica's in hospital

What a welcoming gap in the armco on a main straight. If we have those type of gaps on a purpose built race circuit, what can we expect on a countryside road?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Add in the armco probably not being designed to have a rally car hit it at speed. Normally, traffic on that road would probably be going at 20 - 30mph.

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

marekk wrote:Image
sorry what series is this? GP2?

marekk
marekk

GP2 Asia raced today in Abu Dhabi

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Well those gaps are there for emergency crew to access the race track, but they usually overlap.. A sample one at Albert park

ringo

Tim.Wright wrote:
ringo wrote: He apologized but you can't help but notice how crazy he sounds when talking about previous crashes; like he's testing his mortality and pushing his luck.
That attitude is a pre-requisite if you want to be a race driver. If he had your attitude to taking risks he would be stuck inside trolling F1 forums all day. :wink:

Tim
prerequisite of the walking dead you mean.

Well Nick heidfeld was stuck inside forums trolling all day, guess who got the r31 seat? :lol:

Almost dying for no reason is not cool and there's nothing brave about it.

Had Hamilton or Maldonado or Petrov or any controversial driver you can think of been in the same situation they would be looked down on as a poor example or just downright silly.

hell, if nelson piquet Jr. was in this accident, you wouldn't hear the end of it. The crashing would be deemed as some kind of post traumatic stress disorder.

God forbid petrov wins a race or heidfeld turns champ. :lol:

Kubica F1 news update, "petrov dominates monaco GP"
For Sure!!

terribleone
terribleone

To us sitting in our offices :lol: , it seems like he took a crazy over the top risk; to a professional driver maybe thats just him doing what he's best at?

I agree with Tim that having a naturally agressive personality is probably a good thing for most professional drivers.

andartop
andartop

Ringo, looks like you've missed the important bit in the autosport article:

"But rallies aren't just a passion. They are though, severe training for F1.

"I drive better in F1 because I did many rallies last year. Rallying helps your concentration, especially since there is almost no more testing in F1. Performance in F1 comes from a series of details.

"Rallying has allowed me to work on certain aspects of myself where there are still margins to improve. It's important in a season like this with 20 races."

I guess there are two ways to consider the rest of what he said:

Some people following your logic will conclude the guy is mad, which is probably true for most race drivers, especially those who do rallying. Obviously, you wouldn't really want a guy like that to marry your daughter or take your son for a ride in his new wheels.

Others will be struck with awe and may even be inspired by the determination, strong will and fighting spirit of "mad" racers like Kubica.

Personally, I think I have become a stronger person over the years by following F1 and WRC and reading about these amazing people, trying to give it that little extra effort in what I do that may be important and trying not to give up when things don't work out the way I wanted.

It's stories like Kubica's, Schumacher's, Senna's, Zanardi's and co that constantly remind me these guys are not just rich spoiled brats going around in circles in very fast cars to make millions of dollars, they are the finest, and possibly madest, lot on this planet. No, if I had a daughter I definitely wouldn't want her to marry a guy like this, but if I had a formula 1 team I'd be proud if my drivers had Kubica's mentality...
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

zgred

antitomm
antitomm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C35L9Hk ... rofilepage[/youtube]

A simulation of the crash.

zgred

raymondu999

Is that Kubica's helmet? I don't remember Kubica's design this year, so yeah.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Morteza

raymondu999 wrote:Is that Kubica's helmet? I don't remember Kubica's design this year, so yeah.
Yes, that's Kubica's 2011 helmet design. You can see it in this picture from Valencia tests(I know this is not a clear picture, but it gives you the whole idea. I'm not a good picture finder you know :oops: ) :
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Donuts

Final surgery(elbow) on wednesday! So that makes it, what, about, 27 days for him to recover before Bahrain's GP! :D Nick, warm up the engine! :wink:
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

raymondu999

I honestly don't believe he will be able to be race-ready by Bahrain.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法