Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Don't get your hopes up! I expect a few tweaks to the aero package and maybe a full blown new front wing, but I doubt there will be very big changes at all.
Honda!

myurr
myurr

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:The slots are for KERS battery installation I think, Or actuall KERS.
They share a KERS installation with McLaren and Force India that sits under the fuel tank. So those slots aren't KERS related.

Lindz

It's things like debuting and doing 2 4-day tests with a front wing that is 'old thinking' and having cooling issues and having a general car shape that is uninspiring, and then pinning all hopes on an update JUST in time (or maybe not) for the first race...

It's like Honda F1 all over again. Oh... wait...

I think the Brackley squad have just underestimated the advancements of those around them. Instead of having to develop a new front wing (I doubt they planned to run the old one very long) and a few minor things, now we hear they are scrambling for a major update.

I think it would be cool if it pays off and miraculously it all works out for the best. But I'm not holding my breath for that.

myurr
myurr

Lindz, get where you're coming from and likewise think they're nowhere near challenging the front of the grid, but it's still too early to have any idea for certain.

Ferraripilot

I agree it's still far too early to say, but let's be real here. No one is expecting that old wing and those tiny barge boards to be race spec. I mean, everyone is running at least 'normal' size boards, not those 1/4 size things Merc has been testing with. I can't imagine the flow they are lacking at the back by using those tiny things.

dren

Ferraripilot wrote:I agree it's still far too early to say, but let's be real here. No one is expecting that old wing and those tiny barge boards to be race spec. I mean, everyone is running at least 'normal' size boards, not those 1/4 size things Merc has been testing with. I can't imagine the flow they are lacking at the back by using those tiny things.
I thought the idea of the sidepod wings were to keep the turbulent flow from the front tires away from the flow around the body?
Honda!

dren

Lindz wrote:It's things like debuting and doing 2 4-day tests with a front wing that is 'old thinking' and having cooling issues and having a general car shape that is uninspiring, and then pinning all hopes on an update JUST in time (or maybe not) for the first race...

It's like Honda F1 all over again. Oh... wait...

I think the Brackley squad have just underestimated the advancements of those around them. Instead of having to develop a new front wing (I doubt they planned to run the old one very long) and a few minor things, now we hear they are scrambling for a major update.

I think it would be cool if it pays off and miraculously it all works out for the best. But I'm not holding my breath for that.
I'm guessing the team is not scrambling for an update, I think this was in the plans from the get-go. But I do agree with you when you say the team underestimated the advancements of the other teams. Mercedes seemed confident leading up to the car unveiling, but then the times show the car isn't at the top. I do think they are closer to the front than last year, but how much we will not know for a few more weeks.

The team's top priorities seem to be understanding the tires, KERS and reliability. The tires should be a top priority as they have struggled understanding the tires over the last two years. KERS is new for them, so this is also something to note. I expect the "true" pace of the car will be shown about 4 races into the season.
Honda!

Lindz

Ferraripilot wrote:I agree it's still far too early to say, but let's be real here. No one is expecting that old wing and those tiny barge boards to be race spec. I mean, everyone is running at least 'normal' size boards, not those 1/4 size things Merc has been testing with. I can't imagine the flow they are lacking at the back by using those tiny things.
Right, so why bother running that old garbage in the first place?

A. your new parts are SO revolutionary that the minute they are shown, everyone will scramble to copy them so you want to keep them hidden for as long as possible

B. you don't think that the old garbage is worth throwing away yet.

C. the new parts have just now been designed and are getting built and you'll have them on next test. Or the test after. Or, well, at least by the first race!

How are any of these situations good? They must be planning a huge update. The little stuff like bargeboards, turning vanes, front/rear wings, and endplates can easily be made between test and races. New floors, sidepods, engine covers, and diffusers are what take time to design and build. I would then assume (like many of you) that these are the pieces they are making (large, significantly changed pieces). That only leaves them with very little time to test these parts and make sure they all work correctly. Essentially, a new car with very little testing right before the season begins.

For a team who abandoned last season so early, what have you been doing where you're rushing significant updates right before the season even starts?

Who still doesn't understand that this is NEVER smart. It might work, I'm not saying that they'll fail, but I don't see how this is smart.

dren, I see your point(s) and I do agree with you that perhaps they are evaluating all of this 'new' stuff (that they new was coming and that a lot of other teams are also doing) but your testing/racing mechanics and engineers are different from your design team. Why design something mediocre on purpose and then plan on redesigning a majority of it?

luca
luca

Here's a snippet taken from a new Rosberg's interview:
[...]
Q: At the first 2011 test in Valencia Mercedes looked a bit pallid when compared to the Red Bulls and the Ferraris. However Jerez, at least for Schumacher, looked like something of a turning point…
NR: Yes, we weren’t too fast in Valencia but with Michael’s two days of running in Jerez we are obviously heading in the right direction. Despite what people believe we weren’t running in qualifying spec when he did his times - we still had a buffer. My running obviously was not so blessed. I only ran for 45 laps on the last day of the Jerez test because of a precautionary engine change. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to do as many laps as I would have liked, but overall I see a development for the better and to get better every single lap counts.

Q: What are the main issues on the car?
NR: One thing that should be made very clear is that this car that we’ve been running so far is not our Bahrain car. This car is here to improve reliability and do the maximum mileage possible. A big step will be introduced later in the test season.

Q: What will be the big step? In what areas?
NR: I am sure many would like to know that answer. Let me put it this way - it will be in all areas of the car.
[...]

luca
luca

Q: What will be the big step? In what areas?
NR: I am sure many would like to know that answer. Let me put it this way - it will be in all areas of the car.
LOL, he seems to be talking about it like it is a completely new car!
Last edited by luca on 14 Feb 2011, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

mtec80
mtec80

i think the bage bords are that style as the final sidepod is not the one we are seeing now.

The facts, that the current coverage is only something like sheet metal (due to the small damages) and the bage boards are not completed and mostly infunctional and the open question regarding the carbon blades within the middle of the sidepods (can be seen from the front) are pointing to some new sidepod construction.

Also the cutout on the sidepods was there on presentation,too. I think MGP expected some cooling issues running the provisorium.

Maybe I'm wrong but there are too many open questions regarding the Benz...

raymondu999

Said the same thing last year.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

dren

raymondu999 wrote:Said the same thing last year.
Agreed, he did say the same thing last year. Nico is usually an optimist with his quotes.
Honda!

dren

Lindz wrote:
dren, I see your point(s) and I do agree with you that perhaps they are evaluating all of this 'new' stuff (that they new was coming and that a lot of other teams are also doing) but your testing/racing mechanics and engineers are different from your design team. Why design something mediocre on purpose and then plan on redesigning a majority of it?
I'm not expecting big updates. Maybe a newer front wing and some aero tweaks, but nothing hugely new. Just the same stuff all the teams are doing.
Honda!

FrukostScones

When they presented the W02, Brawn said that they will bring the second version of the car to the third and fourth test. So let's hope that we will see a different car already in Barcelona.

Please give us new sidepods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.