Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Lindz

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Yeah I never doubted that they'll update it I'm just wondering why, when you abandon your 2010 car so early, do you PLAN on updating it so majorly, so early on.

I still think that they underestimated the competition and along with this planned major update they will try and tack on as many things as possible.

segedunum
segedunum

Everything that Nico says and does will be washed firmly through PR now. He really couldn't hide his disappointment the other day though and Michael's firm smug smile that he had last year has completely disappeared. I don't know what he thought was going to happen. Does he not know this team's history as BAR and then Honda?

Claiming that there will be some massive update before Bahrain that will make the car look completely different and do away with that front wing they've had for the past eighteen months is, let's be honest, really crawling for the crumbs of comfort. Come on. They specifically stated that they were giving up on 2010 to concentrate on this season. How come they're even further behind everyone else who didn't give up on last year all of a sudden? Everyone will have new bits for Bahrain, but they're not going to have new cars.

You can always claim that the car we're seeing now is not the one we're going to see at Bahrain. If we don't see a new car at Bahrain then there will be some massive update for Australia....... It's a mug's game. It begs the question of what they're actually testing right now.

Ferraripilot

luca wrote:Here's a snippet taken from a new Rosberg's interview:
[...]
Q: At the first 2011 test in Valencia Mercedes looked a bit pallid when compared to the Red Bulls and the Ferraris. However Jerez, at least for Schumacher, looked like something of a turning point…
NR: Yes, we weren’t too fast in Valencia but with Michael’s two days of running in Jerez we are obviously heading in the right direction. Despite what people believe we weren’t running in qualifying spec when he did his times - we still had a buffer. My running obviously was not so blessed. I only ran for 45 laps on the last day of the Jerez test because of a precautionary engine change. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to do as many laps as I would have liked, but overall I see a development for the better and to get better every single lap counts.

Q: What are the main issues on the car?
NR: One thing that should be made very clear is that this car that we’ve been running so far is not our Bahrain car. This car is here to improve reliability and do the maximum mileage possible. A big step will be introduced later in the test season.

Q: What will be the big step? In what areas?
NR: I am sure many would like to know that answer. Let me put it this way - it will be in all areas of the car.
[...]

I was just about to post this. The mantra at MB has certainly been 'a very different car will be around for late testing and/or racing'. I am taking them far more seriously this year than I was last year when they said the same. That being said, I believe W02 has a lot more room to improve than other teams as other teams setups are at least somewhat of an evolution of what they were running late last year (W02 current wing is dated when compared). I'm no expert and am viewing this as an outside looking in.

In answer to the above poster questioning why they are not running their latest and greatest right now? The simple answer is: why run your latest gear if the purpose of current testing is to understand ones reliability, tires, and heating issues? There is not much sense in showing your hand this early in the game.

Lindz

Ferraripilot wrote:In answer to the above poster questioning why they are not running their latest and greatest right now? The simple answer is: why run your latest gear if the purpose of current testing is to understand ones reliability, tires, and heating issues? There is not much sense in showing your hand this early in the game.
You don't have to show your hand, but it helps to at least look at your cards before you go all in.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Lindz wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:In answer to the above poster questioning why they are not running their latest and greatest right now? The simple answer is: why run your latest gear if the purpose of current testing is to understand ones reliability, tires, and heating issues? There is not much sense in showing your hand this early in the game.
You don't have to show your hand, but it helps to at least look at your cards before you go all in.
Lindz Im not entirely sure you meant that as it actually outlines Ferraripilots point.
I have been over the reason why i think Mercedes are not throwing the Kitchen sink at the W02 for the first few tests. The main reasons are KERS and Tyres.
Although, after Jerez even a half baked W02 looks better than the W01.

The team will want to have a full grasp of this before adding performance enhancing features. We have seen the team focus on long runs and reliability, the media and the Forums suddenly specualted Mercedes were in Trouble. The response was pretty emphatic by Schumacher, given that car isnt even in final race ready guise.

Its all a guessing game. Who knows if there will even be a Performance leap from the planned upgrade. All we can go by is what the factory tell us.

Had Mercedes turned up with all their toys at Valencia, and the tyres didnt play ball as was the case with the W01...there would have been some serious questions been asked. It appears as if Mercedes restructure over the summer is producing a step by step approach that may be beneficial to the team in instances like development and testing. Time will no doubt give us the answer.

Myurr
What are those slots if not for KERS or batteries? I was under the impression it was stored in the sidepods a la Mclaren MP4 24....
More could have been done.
David Purley

Florio
Florio

I wouldn't get too carried away with the massive development promises again. The 'Super Diffuser' proposed last year was just as normal as every other 2010 double diffuser.

myurr
myurr

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Myurr
What are those slots if not for KERS or batteries? I was under the impression it was stored in the sidepods a la Mclaren MP4 24....
I have no idea but it was stated at the McLaren launch that they worked with Mercedes on a joint solution that was single combined unit sited under the fuel tank.

dren

Lindz wrote:Yeah I never doubted that they'll update it I'm just wondering why, when you abandon your 2010 car so early, do you PLAN on updating it so majorly, so early on.

I still think that they underestimated the competition and along with this planned major update they will try and tack on as many things as possible.
I'm guessing the development plan was to test reliability and mechanical systems with the new tires and give the aero department a longer time to complete their designs.

I think last year the original plan was to show off the blade roll structure and some other updates right before the first race but they held of to redesign the suspension set-up. Hopefully nothing big hit them in testing and the team can proceed with the planned development. I'd certainly like to see more podiums this year.
Honda!

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

dren

myurr wrote:
I have no idea but it was stated at the McLaren launch that they worked with Mercedes on a joint solution that was single combined unit sited under the fuel tank.
I remember reading that too. Is it an inlet or outlet?
Honda!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

myurr wrote:
Would make sense to do this, are the generators situated in the wheel hubs?
More could have been done.
David Purley

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Hmm so those slots on the front wing that Rosberg runs with were always there, just it was blanked off when Michael was in the car...

dren

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
myurr wrote:
Would make sense to do this, are the generators situated in the wheel hubs?
I think the motor works as a generator also. You set up the motor to generate when the brakes are pressed.
Honda!

Saribro
Saribro

RacingManiac wrote:Hmm so those slots on the front wing that Rosberg runs with were always there, just it was blanked off when Michael was in the car...
Those are just coverplates for the balast compartments in the old wing.

carvetia
carvetia

Q: What will be the big step? In what areas?
NR: I am sure many would like to know that answer. Let me put it this way - it will be in all areas of the car.
Wish this response was on video! Rosberg's tone/body language could well have implied a 'me included' being added to the first sentence of his response which would tell us a lot more about the state of development. At least that's the feeling I get from just the transcript alone, as well as thinking back to last year where PR would tidy up his words, but he never made much effort to hide his discontent in other ways.