Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mercedes GP W02

They said the same thing last year. Changes to all parts of the car.
Honda!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

dren wrote:They said the same thing last year. Changes to all parts of the car.

There is a difference though. The W01's problem would never have been solved by the updates. We saw come the end of the Year Mercedes add the updates and it made a difference.

The issues stemmed from the teams mistake of missing the weight distribution marker. The car then had an inability to turn in well enough.
They had to solve that first before adding anything fancy.

There was even talk on these pages of chassis stiffness issues. With homologation, yo cannot overcome somthing like that easily.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Med4224

Mercedes should just withdraw this season. The media and fans say that they're in trouble, so they gotta be. I mean when was media and blog posts inaccurate or dare i say wrong????

We should all write Ross Brawn and tell him that formula 1 is about building a fast car that beats others... maybe he doesn't know that...

I think even if Mercedes is 5 seconds faster than everyone else i will read comments like:" mercedes is in trouble, mercedes have a lobby that lets them run at 580 kgs, schumacher has lost bone density due to age and that gives him an edge over others"
Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Albert Einstein

Ferraripilot

Well, one thing is for sure: If W02 does not have these supposed huge changes Nico has been speaking of for a while, I will be not only supremely disappointed but I think that sort of rhetoric without proper objective follow-through will be the nail in the coffin for Schu's comeback 8th title.

Med4224

It is not that Nico is talking about the updates.
What insures that there are upgrades to come is that Brawn spoke of them during the Valencia test. I highly doubt Brawn could be bluffing or just saying that to get some ppl off his back.
Mercedes may not be RB 2010 this year, but they are definitly better than Mercedes 2010, if not car-wise, then team-wise and that would suggest a successful development throughout the season.
Since they had the lead time, we expected more of them. It is only our expectations. They never said they'll win all in 2011, they said they will be better.

And no the 8th title isn't dead this year unless Schumacher loses his enthusiasm and drive. It is enough for him to win a couple of races and get some podiums and 2012 could be his 8th crown. I would love for him to get it in 2011, but if he doesn't, I wouldn't say he can't, I'd give him 2012. A wonderful way to finally retire. But again I am a biased Schumacher fan to the bone.

Albert Einstein

mtec80
mtec80

Ross Brawn in QA: "We made a deliberate decision towards the end of last year to have a very ‘plain’ car for the first tests and a significant upgrade for the first race in Bahrain. With the Pirelli tyres, and the return of KERS, we wanted to make sure that our new car was ready for the first test and this was certainly the correct decision."

In combination with the sidepod discussion and the questions regarding front plap I'm relly sure that there will be an intresting upgrade comming up.

Med4224

mtec80 wrote:Ross Brawn in QA: "We made a deliberate decision towards the end of last year to have a very ‘plain’ car for the first tests and a significant upgrade for the first race in Bahrain. With the Pirelli tyres, and the return of KERS, we wanted to make sure that our new car was ready for the first test and this was certainly the correct decision."

In combination with the sidepod discussion and the questions regarding front plap I'm relly sure that there will be an intresting upgrade comming up.

thank you, that is the quote i was referring to

+1 internetz for u

but am not so sure it was the right decision, because this way the new parts will have minimal testing time

Albert Einstein

Ferraripilot

Minimal testing with these parts makes me wonder if we will see them at final testing in Bahrain in preparation for race practice. Maybe..... Anyone thinking we'll see some sort of exhaust gadget from them? Their current exhaust is incredibly plain.

Med4224

http://www.mercedes-gp.com/en/#/s/news/ ... ross-brawn

Brawn: "Only each team knows the truth about its performance during the pre-season period, and knowing all the facts, I am satisfied with our progress over the first two tests."

Brawn: "The technology has carried over to the current car and we have a new rear wing coming which will bring further improvements"

Brawn: "Our current package includes some compromises, and we know that there is more performance to come from the car."

What compromises might he be pointing to?

On another note, who thinks Mercedes are deliberatily sabotaging the car on Nico's days to make Schumacher look good???

Albert Einstein

marcush.
marcush.

that plain car decision has of course a huge impact...you need to do molds for sidepods floor etc for the preseason testing only...maybe you would even have to do preseries radiators and other systemsa s well.All on a more basic underdevelopped line of thought but opening the possibility to fix your development direction for these parts a lot later and arrive in Bahrain with a very advanced MKII version.

that sideimpact structure visble inthe sidepod suggests we will see something .
Maybe they decide to go one step further with Manchilds idea?

What about creating a narrow but long pilar on the stepplane on top of it a mushroom like top open to the front as a radiator inlet ? this could house the radiator and open a significant duct between Radiator and tub even though the Mercedes must have the widest tub of all.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

No chance of Sabotage. Any Sabotage done to either will have repercussions on the team dynamic, Brawn does not work that way.

Regards the car, I think the only specific thing Brawn has refered to has been the Rear wing. What time difference can that have?

Sidepods are speculated.

Front Wing has been touted by some technical sites like AMuS.

I wonder when this different car will appear if at all, Bahrain tests? Or FP1?

@ Marcush
What is manchilds idea?
And the Mercedes has by far the shortest wheelbase of all this year, hence why the tub is wide. Wonder why?
More could have been done.
David Purley

Med4224

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:No chance of Sabotage. Any Sabotage done to either will have repercussions on the team dynamic, Brawn does not work that way.

Regards the car, I think the only specific thing Brawn has refered to has been the Rear wing. What time difference can that have?

Sidepods are speculated.

Front Wing has been touted by some technical sites like AMuS.

I wonder when this different car will appear if at all, Bahrain tests? Or FP1?

@ Marcush
What is manchilds idea?
And the Mercedes has by far the shortest wheelbase of all this year, hence why the tub is wide. Wonder why?
I was being sarcastic about the sabotage thingy :-)

and i think the compromise was in brave ideas
at the end of last season Brawn said:" our engineers have interesting ideas"
nothing is interesting on this car, but maybe the car for Baharain will be.
Merc really needs something innovative to close the gap or at least get closer to the top 3... something with the exhaust maybe to recover lost d/f from double-diffuser ban

Albert Einstein

segedunum
segedunum

Med4224 wrote:Brawn: "Our current package includes some compromises, and we know that there is more performance to come from the car."

Last year's car was 'compromised'. Both he, and certain others on this forum, will then portray those 'compromises' as things outside of Merc's control and it's not their fault. He's obviously got into a well worn pattern of excuses.
On another note, who thinks Mercedes are deliberatily sabotaging the car on Nico's days to make Schumacher look good???
Well, Nico turns up the next day and is at least two seconds away...... Make of that what you like.

marcush.
marcush.

i call it manchilds idea because he has prove of having posted it here 5years ago.I´d say that´s quite some time.
the idea is to open a duct between sidepod and tub for the purpose of creating a direct air path to the top of the difusser /beamwing instead of redirecting the flow to take the long path around the sidepod.

testing is not really about quick times and if you got problems the quick laps are the first to be ditched from the agenda because they are pretty useless for the team.
why on earth should they sabotage the quicker of the two drivers?does this make any sense? would they all dump their chances to make schumacher look better than he is?
one thing is for sure-the moment they do not believe MS is unable to provide the goods they will find ways to extract him from the car.those few millions do not mean too much to Mercedes.It would be norbys end as well yes.

Med4224

segedunum wrote:
Med4224 wrote:Brawn: "Our current package includes some compromises, and we know that there is more performance to come from the car."

Last year's car was 'compromised'. Both he, and certain others on this forum, will then portray those 'compromises' as things outside of Merc's control and it's not their fault. He's obviously got into a well worn pattern of excuses.
Well, Nico turns up the next day and is at least two seconds away...... Make of that what you like.

yea, last years car was definitly a very conservative car. However Brawn said last season that 2011 car will be much more revolutionary and innovative since they got their staff organized and Stuttgart backing. So no, no one is allowed to use that excuse this year. I am a Merc fan and i wouldn't accept such an excuse. However, I wouldn't hold the team responsible for my expectations or anyone elses. They said they will be better, and they are.

As for the Nico thing, Come on. What you said is exactly why I mentioned that.
And as JET said, no one in his right mind would waste valuable testing time and endanger inner team workings just to make a driver look good.
Disregarding that Michael doesn't need help looking good.

Albert Einstein