Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Med4224 wrote: at the end of last season Brawn said:" our engineers have interesting ideas"
nothing is interesting on this car, but maybe the car for Baharain will be.
Merc really needs something innovative to close the gap or at least get closer to the top 3
Yes I remember this well.

He said the engineers he had at his disposal were the most talented he ever had. We then have him saying this is an "interim car" at the launch.
And now Rosberg is saying we should expect somthing different.

Yes the W02 lacks "wow factor", but what if they have somthing that they want to keep back until the last possible moment?
Or want to keep testing KERS and tyres before adding these updates.

Its a tantalising prospect, and keeps this thread churning over, but I have seen Mercedes and Brawn say the same of the W01. And they did unveil the blade roll hoop which was innovative, but not a game changer.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Med4224

marcush. wrote:i call it manchilds idea because he has prove of having posted it here 5years ago.I´d say that´s quite some time.
the idea is to open a duct between sidepod and tub for the purpose of creating a direct air path to the top of the difusser /beamwing instead of redirecting the flow to take the long path around the sidepod.

I thought FIA banned that? or no?
Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Albert Einstein

JohnsonsEvilTwin

marcush. wrote:i call it manchilds idea because he has prove of having posted it here 5years ago.I´d say that´s quite some time.
the idea is to open a duct between sidepod and tub for the purpose of creating a direct air path to the top of the difusser /beamwing instead of redirecting the flow to take the long path around the sidepod.
Mercedes are blowing the beam wing correct?

Because if this is the case, I think you and Manchild may be right. This could be Mercedes waiting for the last moment before testing it. It would leave other teams with a headache to circumvent the side impact tests, given that it is a homologated part.

I read also that Mercedes HPE worked very closely with both Mclaren and Mercedes on KERS installation and cooling for 2011. Would there be any data flow to Mercedes regards Mclarens own sidepods? As the idea is similar to what Mclaren are trying to do.
David Purley

Med4224

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Med4224 wrote: at the end of last season Brawn said:" our engineers have interesting ideas"
nothing is interesting on this car, but maybe the car for Baharain will be.
Merc really needs something innovative to close the gap or at least get closer to the top 3
Yes I remember this well.

He said the engineers he had at his disposal were the most talented he ever had. We then have him saying this is an "interim car" at the launch.
And now Rosberg is saying we should expect somthing different.

Yes the W02 lacks "wow factor", but what if they have somthing that they want to keep back until the last possible moment?
Or want to keep testing KERS and tyres before adding these updates.

Its a tantalising prospect, and keeps this thread churning over, but I have seen Mercedes and Brawn say the same of the W01. And they did unveil the blade roll hoop which was innovative, but not a game changer.

Ja, even though it seems to be a very very long shot, I gotta
keep my fingers crossed that this time they really will have a different car
for Baharain.

Like you said the "wow factor". Something that teams will be running to copy and people dreaming sketches of. Something more Stuttgart-like.

I hope they don't disappoint this time. Im not saying they should win the WCC
but at least a good car that the team can build on well.

Do you know if Stuttgart dispatched any engineers to Brackley?

Albert Einstein

Predator

I personally think Mercedes will come good this season. Testing so far hasn't proven anything. Brawn and Rosberg are adamant that they will have a different car (or different looking) for Bahrain, so let's wait and see. Brawn has only referred to the rear wing so far, but like others, I personally think new side-pods are coming because of the side impact beams being visible. Also, their exhaust layout (exit) looks very simple when comparing to others, so this could be another which changes come Bahrain. Front wing must also be on the cards, but it's all speculation on here, but it's interesting discussing what will and what might not happen. Both drivers have said they feel comfortable driving the car, so they're definitely on the right path. I have faith in the team. But we always have armchair experts saying everything the team does is wrong and that they should go the Red Bull route, because they're so fantastic.

As for them sabotaging Rosberg's running - well, that would be great, shooting yourself in the foot! They need as much time on the track as possible.

marcush.
marcush.

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Mercedes are blowing the beam wing correct?

Because if this is the case, I think you and Manchild may be right. This could be Mercedes waiting for the last moment before testing it. It would leave other teams with a headache to circumvent the side impact tests, given that it is a homologated part.

I read also that Mercedes HPE worked very closely with both Mclaren and Mercedes on KERS installation and cooling for 2011. Would there be any data flow to Mercedes regards Mclarens own sidepods? As the idea is similar to what Mclaren are trying to do.

working on that sort of project it does make sense to share as much as you can Sitting at one table is a much better thing as trying to decide in two separate meetings.If they share KERS installation that will cut down on their degree of freedom in designing the rest of the car.With both teams not sharing the basic designconcept of the monocoque(Mercedes short and high Mclaren lower and long this was surely interesting times ....
I still think the whole kers thing is more interesting for what it can do bad things to your concept and not what it could do any good in terms of laptime or other advantage at the start.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Are the exhaust's that simple?

I have yet to see a close up.

Edit:@ Marcush
Short and high doesnt tally up with my sense of making CofG less of an issue.

I was worried to see the W02 have such a short wheel base in relation to the rest of the teams.
David Purley

Med4224

correct me if I am wrong

where we stand now is:

1. We have a plain but good-essence car
2. We don't know how we compare to other teams
3. Hopes are for developments to come by Baharain
4. The expectations are limited due to the little time left
5. Only innovative ideas could get us up

Albert Einstein

Ferraripilot

Med4224 wrote:correct me if I am wrong

where we stand now is:

1. We have a plain but good-essence car
2. We don't know how we compare to other teams
3. Hopes are for developments to come by Baharain
4. The expectations are limited due to the little time left
5. Only innovative ideas could get us up

That sums things up well. This sidepod thing people are chatting about could be their innovation and with the crash structure being where it is, it makes sense that we could see a somewhat drastic change with them.

Predator

There's nothing special about the layout:

Compare with RB and McLaren trying different layouts and Renault with the FEE, this is simple, but it might be working for them, so who knows?

dren

They are sort of blowing the starter hole. I expect this area to change, maybe something closer to what Red Bull and others have with the flat exhaust.
Honda!

Med4224

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Are the exhaust's that simple?

I have yet to see a close up.

Edit:@ Marcush
Short and high doesnt tally up with my sense of making CofG less of an issue.

I was worried to see the W02 have such a short wheel base in relation to the rest of the teams.

i remember in college we saw that shorter, higher, and NARROWER vehicles with a low center of gravity have more grip in fast corners and a more flexible turn in.

I believe the narrow part is a requirement for that to work

Albert Einstein

Ferraripilot

dren wrote:They are sort of blowing the starter hole. I expect this area to change, maybe something closer to what Red Bull and others have with the flat exhaust.

I agree. I can't imagine the exhaust being this vanilla on purpose. Then again, who knows maybe it's perfect for what they want.

xpensive
xpensive

If I had been an MGP-fan, which I'm not, one of my worries would be what seems to be a lack of attention to detail.

If you behold the rear above and look at similar images from RBR and Ferrari, it looks almost cheap and patched together. The simple cut-out holes in the bodywork for the suspension-arms, which don't really match, is just one xample of something you would never see on Newey's cars. God is in the details.

As for the xhaust arrangement, I don't really know what to say, looks like a last minute job to me?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.
marcush.

xpensive wrote:If I had been an MGP-fan, which I'm not, one of my worries would be what seems to be a lack of attention to detail.

If you behold the rear-end above and look at similar images from RBR and Ferrari, it looks almost cheap and patched together. The simple cut-out holes in the bodywork for the suspension-arms, which don't really match, is just one xample of something you would never see on Newey's cars. God is in the details.

As for the xhaust arrangement, I don't really know what to say, looks like a last minute job to me?
thomas ..you pinpoint the issue and I REALLY hope this is due to them having something completely different up their sleeve.They are the only ones with sidepods sitting flush on a very flat floor thats pure 80s.. no we will see a completely different animal come bahrain. [-o<