Comparison of all 2011 cars

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Tim.Wright

Re: Comparison of all 2011 cars

marcush. wrote:hard to find roadgoing cars with wheelbase over 2900mm (Dacia Logan MCV for example...) :?
Mercedes Sprinter short 3250mm /medium wheelbase is 3660mm 7long wb is 4325mm
:shock:
Long wheel base Sprinter for the win 2011!!11
Not the engineer at Force India

HampusA

Pedro wrote:Well, it is probably not very precise as those pictures are taken from different angles but 3300 mm for Williams seems to be weird - where did you get that?

Virgin is claiming 3300 mm (source: http://www.virginracing.com/car/265/inside-the-mvr-02) but they both do not look like having the very same wheelbase.
Something is wierd but i think Williams own numbers aren´t true. Or they measure wheelbase in a different way than us.

The pictures are slightly different angles but imo it shouldn´t differ 50cm in length. That is alot of centimetres.
I didn´t resize the cars by dragging the car up and right individually. I held shift down so it scales everything properly from the original pic so i´m lost to how it can differ that much..

Wheel base is from the wheelnut to wheelnut basically?
Dimensions & weight

Weight: 640kg with driver, camera and ballast
Wheelbase: 3300mm
Overall length: 5000mm
Overall height: 950mm
Overall width: 1800mm

http://www.f1technical.net/f1db/cars/976
The truth will come out...

myurr
myurr

HampusA wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:HampusA - A PSD file normally has layers, hopefully the images and lines have been placed separate layers so they can be adjusted separately. My image was done in Powerpoint, it's great for quick and easy manipulation.
Yea i know ;) there wasn´t a layer for the lines.
Errr... yes there is. Each car is on it's own layer with the lines above those.

Edit: This image was created in CS5, so maybe that affected it.

Shaddock

The blue circles are all the same diameter based on covering the Ferrari's wheel completely. You can pick any car you like as the reference.

Good work HampusA :wink: but;

As you can see the photo above the McLaren is slightly oversized and so it's wheel base appears longer than it really is. All the wheels need to have the same diameter (pictures resizing) before you can calculate wheel bases for the cars.

f1pagan
f1pagan

On regards to w02 wheelbase, michael schumacker has always preferred shorter wheelbase cars, as oppsed to longer, and second thing that people forgot, longer cars are have longer radius of gyration hence less cornering.

fadal
fadal

f1pagan wrote:On regards to w02 wheelbase, michael schumacker has always preferred shorter wheelbase cars, as oppsed to longer, and second thing that people forgot, longer cars are have longer radius of gyration hence less cornering.
W02 is the shortest car on the grid. Do you have any idea how they design the fuel tank. Must be the fuel tank is different from other cars that make W02 short.

Pedro
Pedro

HampusA wrote:Wheel base is from the wheelnut to wheelnut basically?
Wheelbase is the distance between the front and rear wheel centre line.
HampusA wrote:
Dimensions & weight

Is FW33 wheelbase really 3300 mm? Because it seems like Williams is holding it back this year: http://www.attwilliams.com/car/technical-spec/.

HampusA

myurr wrote:
HampusA wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:HampusA - A PSD file normally has layers, hopefully the images and lines have been placed separate layers so they can be adjusted separately. My image was done in Powerpoint, it's great for quick and easy manipulation.
Yea i know ;) there wasn´t a layer for the lines.
Errr... yes there is. Each car is on it's own layer with the lines above those.

Edit: This image was created in CS5, so maybe that affected it.
I have CS5 myself and i must have been really tired or something because i´m 99% sure i couldn´t remove the lines.

I´ll download it again and check

HampusA

Pedro wrote:
HampusA wrote:Wheel base is from the wheelnut to wheelnut basically?
Wheelbase is the distance between the front and rear wheel centre line.
HampusA wrote:
Dimensions & weight

Is FW33 wheelbase really 3300 mm? Because it seems like Williams is holding it back this year: http://www.attwilliams.com/car/technical-spec/.
Well it says 3300mm on F1technical´s own site which you can see in the link so it´s not something i made up ;)

I think the numbers are BS or the guy they asked really had no idea about the exact length so he just threw out a number.

HampusA

Shaddock wrote:Good work HampusA :wink: but;

As you can see the photo above the McLaren is slightly oversized and so it's wheel base appears longer than it really is. All the wheels need to have the same diameter (pictures resizing) before you can calculate wheel bases for the cars.
I´ll see what i can do about that, the Red Bull seems a tad oversized to.

I didn´t want to resize the car up or down individually because i thought that might skew the proportions to much. Either way, it´s almost impossible to count the wheelbase of the cars even though you can get close.

It´s like photographing a ruler and think it will be in scale in picture.

HampusA

Here´s the new and updated version. Everything is much better now.

Last edited by HampusA on 17 Feb 2011, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

HampusA

Nevermind.

Richard
Richard

HampusA

Using the wheel rim is a 360mm reference. If you use the wheel centreline to leading edge of the front wing end plate, then you get a reference of 1000mm, that will give much more accuracy in the overall length. I showed that reference line on the cars in the pic I posted earlier.

Great work by the way, I wish I had CS5!

Richard
Richard

horse wrote:In fact, I'm not sure about the term "splitter", any more. Sorry for the confusion there. :oops:

Anyway, the tea trays are all the same length for sure, but the part that splits the air to the left/right of the cockpit is much longer on the Williams than, say, the Ferrari. Just look at where it meets the underside of the nose cone. The Renaults looks very similar to the Williams.

Someone want to tell me what that bit is called? Splitter plough?
Sorry, I see what you mean now. I guess we could call it the leading edge of the splitter, the "prow"?

Some teams have a visually elegant leading edge leaning into the wind like prow on a boat. Mercedes seem to have a more abrupt vertical line. I'd have thought the gentle teasing apart of the air flow by the elegant profiles would be more effective. Probably of negligible performance difference.

HampusA

richard_leeds wrote:HampusA

Using the wheel rim is a 360mm reference. If you use the wheel centreline to leading edge of the front wing end plate, then you get a reference of 1000mm, that will give much more accuracy in the overall length. I showed that reference line on the cars in the pic I posted earlier.

Great work by the way, I wish I had CS5!
I´m not sure how you went about doing that but i will take your pic, line the cars up by the backwheel and see if there are any major differences.

Just download it? :) I did yesterday after a long absence of PS 7.

EDIT: Took your pic and lined them up with the backwheel and found som interesting stuff. Yours are probably the most correct one.

Anyhow, according to your pic, Williams has the longest car with Mclaren and Red Bull pretty much the exact same length.

The white line to the left is just to show the williams front axle compared to the others.

If you could tell me how i do what you did with the pictures it would be welcome ;)

I did not really understand fully how you did. The pics you had was to small so by moving the picture just one pixel had a relatively big impact on the car. So if i use your way but with bigger pictures then we could really analyse the --- out of these cars wheelbase lol.