Williams FW33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FrukostScones

Re: Williams FW33

Sam Michael: "This laptime was real. Who knows our team, knows that we don't run underweight. Rubens set this time on supersoft tyres. Of course he had carried a little less fuel. The KERS units were onboard. We only cut the connection to the generator and turned off the batteries because we had a problem with the cooling.

Source: automotorundsport.de
Amus.de calculates that Rubens carried 25 Kg of fuel during the run.
According to Michael they have problems with the medium tyre. Soft and Hard work fine.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Sebp

If I understand this correctly they didn't use any extra KERS-power for their quick lap. Sounds encouraging in terms of basic speed. Maybe we'll see some gills on the car on friday.
Has anyone put in the effort yet to compose how the individual teams treat the Pirellis?

ringo

I suspect this car will have a cooling exhaust hole similar to Redbull to deal with the KERS heat issue.
For Sure!!

Sebp

I hope whatever cooling solution they come up with doesn't interfere with that neat nothingness above the gear box.

myurr
myurr

FrukostScones wrote:According to Michael they have problems with the medium tyre. Soft and Hard work fine.
Wasn't Sutil saying something along the same lines over at Force India?

Tonn
Tonn

tommylommykins
tommylommykins

Nice top wishbone at the back. Did it always have three links?

Why not fill in the small gap between the two rearmost rods? Is it less efficient to do that? Is it banned?

Why does the car have a third member there? Surely what it affects is the front/back bending of the suspension?

joseff

tommylommykins wrote:Why not fill in the small gap between the two rearmost rods? Is it less efficient to do that? Is it banned?
IIRC the max allowed aspect ratio for a suspension component is 3:1 so it's not legal.

timbo
timbo

tommylommykins wrote:Did it always have three links?
There's always a toe-link in the rear suspension. Usually it's between upper and lower A-arm.

Sebp

tommylommykins wrote:Why not fill in the small gap between the two rearmost rods? Is it less efficient to do that? Is it banned?
Filling the gap would cause problems with the caster-angle compliance of the wheel-hub. It wouldn't be impossible to solve but as it is banned let's not dwell on it.

gibells
gibells

Williams once the raging leaders of the pack now lead a compounded quiet life. I cannot help but feel optimistic about this car. I expect that if it was scarlet red or silver and red or even bullish, far greater attention would be paid to it. They have so many interesting solutions on board, and a proven winning pilot, that I really do feel it can win one or two races. But I fear their lack of development with KERS to be their Achilles heal.

marcush.
marcush.

I don´t think KERs usage will be deciding much in 2011.so if their system is only capable of giving them a decent take off that should be 40% of what is needed.
Barrichello is on a mission methinks this is his last chance to prove his worth and he seems to be well on course to replace even Alan Jones in Williams and Heads brains..a remarkable achievement in its own right.

furnik28
furnik28

i think there is something in the pipe work with in the top wishbone low gearbox area as all other cars have a higher gearbox. say a maybe wing? as its with in the bodywork rule.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.ns ... 2-2010.pdf

d
rok

joseff

furnik28 wrote:say a maybe wing?
Interesting... you could be on to something here.

What about engine exhaust? They could also choose to blow the beam wing.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

timbo wrote:
tommylommykins wrote:Did it always have three links?
There's always a toe-link in the rear suspension. Usually it's between upper and lower A-arm.

Usually its in the wake of the drive shaft, but I guess with the extreme angle(and as someone brought up earlier, compliance reason) they put it to the same position as the rear a-arm pick up.