Comparison of all 2011 cars

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
fsliv
fsliv

Re: Comparison of all 2011 cars

Yo you guys have done some GREAT work. Can some one do a comparison of the height of the drivers inside the cars as for me it looks like the driver sits lower in the Mclauren compared to the other drivers/cars. =D> =D>

Richard
Richard

I drew a horizontal line on the first car from the front wheel centreline to the leading edge of the front wing. The rules make that distance identical for all cars. I then copied that to all the other cars then adjusted them until they fitted the same dimension. I left the reference line on the pic so you can see how I did it.

HampusA

fsliv wrote:Yo you guys have done some GREAT work. Can some one do a comparison of the height of the drivers inside the cars as for me it looks like the driver sits lower in the Mclauren compared to the other drivers/cars. =D> =D>
Yea i´ll see what i can come up m8.

richard_leeds wrote:I drew a horizontal line on the first car from the front wheel centreline to the leading edge of the front wing. The rules make that distance identical for all cars. I then copied that to all the other cars then adjusted them until they fitted the same dimension. I left the reference line on the pic so you can see how I did it.
i see, but was that the only adjustment and did you adjust the whole car to make the front with?

I don´t think that part is enough to get the WB accurate, i´m not sure but this will only make the front of the car accurate.

Either way, i´ll do one only showing the cars from the front tyre and forward like you already have done.
The truth will come out...

HampusA

Here´s the front comparison. Driver relative to the wheel height is coming up.

Richard
Richard

HampusA

When you do the heights, the cars should all be identical in height from underside to top of air box. So line them up on a common horiz baseline and stretch them so the airboxes are at the same height. This should be a minimal correction because parallax should be near zero.

The height of the bodywork around the helmet is fixed for all cars. The only variation will be the sidepods and airbox/fins.

It will be interesting to see if some drivers really are higher than others. I can't see anything in the rules about the height of the helmet other than a 70 mm clearance to the ground if upside down.

mclaren777

I touched up your initial image, myurr. I hope you don't mind. ;)

HampusA

richard_leeds wrote:HampusA

When you do the heights, the cars should all be identical in height from underside to top of air box. So line them up on a common horiz baseline and stretch them so the airboxes are at the same height. This should be a minimal correction because parallax should be near zero.

The height of the bodywork around the helmet is fixed for all cars. The only variation will be the sidepods and airbox/fins.

It will be interesting to see if some drivers really are higher than others. I can't see anything in the rules about the height of the helmet other than a 70 mm clearance to the ground if upside down.

Damn lol. Did not read this before i started.

This is what i came up with and the differences are minuscule really. We are talking individual pixels here lol.

HampusA

Btw, i don´t really know all the fixed regulation parts or distances they have to use like the rim size, distance from front axle to front endplate etc

But isn´t the widest part of the rearwing horizontally also a very tight regulated part? meaning all of the cars must have that width?

fsliv
fsliv

HampusA wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:HampusA

Damn lol. Did not read this before i started.

This is what i came up with and the differences are minuscule really. We are talking individual pixels here lol.

Thanks man. I wonder how big of an effect would this have on center of gravity.

HampusA

fsliv wrote:Thanks man. I wonder how big of an effect would this have on center of gravity.
Good question. Wish i knew the answer to that.

Richard
Richard

HampusA wrote:Btw, i don´t really know all the fixed regulation parts or distances they have to use like the rim size, distance from front axle to front endplate etc

But isn´t the widest part of the rearwing horizontally also a very tight regulated part? meaning all of the cars must have that width?
Have a look at the regs http://www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/f1regs.html

There are useful diagrams at the back of two of the documents on that page:

- 2011 F1 Technical Regulations - published on 13.12.2010
- Appendix to the 2010 FIA Formula One Technical Regulations - Published on 11.02.2010

HampusA

Thank you Leeds,

Wow is all i gotta say.. Hats of to the people who take these rules and try to find loopholes in them. All it did for me was confuse me ;)

Shaddock

HampusA wrote:
Dimensions & weight

Weight: 640kg with driver, camera and ballast
Wheelbase: 3300mm
Overall length: 5000mm
Overall height: 950mm
Overall width: 1800mm

http://www.f1technical.net/f1db/cars/976
Using this photo Image

I calculated the williams wheelbase to be 3339.6mm which isn't a bad % error if the offical website states 3300mm. I then did the following cars;

Mclaren = 3489mm
Redbull = 3450mm
Mercedes = 3266mm
Ferrari = 3312mm

NB: The RB is slightly oversized in the photo so it appears longer than it really is. This was taken into consideration when doing the maths.

HampusA

3,9cm of isn´t bad at all. Still quite a noticeable part though.

marcush.
marcush.

Very clearly some of the pictures show the camera position in relation to the cars changing .
On some pictures you see the far side endplate or wheel of the car and on others you don´t.Surely if you see a distance between the Endplates / or the tyre nearside/farside your wheelbase reference point has to be in the middle of these two references! so on some pics the parallax is considerable for example front wing endplate on the ferrari must be almost 100mm ...so your fault is already 50mm in that area.Measuring at the wheelnut with any steering lock on you get anything of a fault be it plus or minus and as the drivers helmets are already leaned to one side I assume this was a rurn in point and steering lock was present.
I would do the measuring starting from the point at right angles to the car (some are centred on the front axle some on the rear axle!)and try to reference on parts close to the centreline of the car to reduce the fault.