Williams FW33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
boyracer94
boyracer94

Re: Williams FW33

joseff wrote:
furnik28 wrote:say a maybe wing?
Interesting... you could be on to something here.

What about engine exhaust? They could also choose to blow the beam wing.
Blowing the beam wing would create a low pressure zone below the wing, on top of the diffuser no? Surely that would decrease the efficiency of the diffuser?
Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm here to learn :lol:

adrianjordan

boyracer94 wrote:Blowing the beam wing would create a low pressure zone below the wing, on top of the diffuser no? Surely that would decrease the efficiency of the diffuser?
I think it would depend on exactly where the low pressure was located. If it was on top of the diffuser, then I think you could be right. However if they could somehow get it to work such that the low pressure interacted with the diffuser to draw more air through it, then this could theoretically increase the efficiency of the diffuser and increase downforce. Or I could be talking a load of codswallops (wouldn't be the first time)...!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

boyracer94 wrote:
joseff wrote:
furnik28 wrote:say a maybe wing?
Interesting... you could be on to something here.

What about engine exhaust? They could also choose to blow the beam wing.
Blowing the beam wing would create a low pressure zone below the wing, on top of the diffuser no? Surely that would decrease the efficiency of the diffuser?
The diffuser's job is to get the airflow below the floor to match the airflow behind the car. If the air immediately behind the car is at a lower pressure (e.g. a 'bubble' attached to the beam wing) then the diffuser effectively has to do less work which means it's more likely to be efficient. It's also more able to flow more mass of air through the floor which will improve overall downforce.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Halgovern
Halgovern

I always thought the diffuser accelerated the air out of the car? If its job is to match the speed of airflow under the car to that of the flow behind the car, how does it produce downforce? Can someone explain please :)
“On the days when Hamilton’s insane alliance of guts, skill and derring-do appear capable of delivering the world it is easy to forget he is only 25, an age when it is all too common for boys to believe themselves men.”

horse

I think describing the diffuser as matching the airflow is a little confusing. I think it's easier to think of the diffuser as giving the floor of the car an aerodynamic shape, as in a wing turned upside down.

Essentially, the faster the airflow under the car compared to that over the car, the more down-force you will get and therefore a great deal of effort is placed into accelerating the flow under the car as it produces less drag than generating down force from wings etc. By creating low pressure "suction" zones behind the beam wing and the rear wheels you encourage more air to flow under the car and thus improve the down-force of the car.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/diffuser.htm
http://www.atlasf1.com/2000/feb16/gray.html
might help.

The rear wings and the general wake of the car are what 'sucks' the air through the underfloor zone. Indeed, the principle reason for lifting the rear wing was to try to reduce the coupling of the rear wing and the diffuser. I'm surprised the new rules didn't also ban the beam wing too which would have had a large impact on the downforce generated by the floor.

Getting the beam wing to work well is why the teams are trying to hard to get good airflow to the rear of the cars. Look at the pictures of Massa's recent fire and you can see how powerful the upwards flow caused by the beam wing is. This is what helps pull air through the underfloor. The diffuser acts to slow the air down as it exits the underfloor - if it didn't, the air would have to slow down very suddenly which would greatly increase drag as well as reduce the mass flow through the underfloor.

furnik28
furnik28

if you back on page 13 of the photo of the cameraman look on his right you can see the exsaust quite clear
rok

horse

Just_a_fan wrote: The diffuser acts to slow the air down as it exits the underfloor - if it didn't, the air would have to slow down very suddenly
I believe that is a bit of a myth, you see. The air does not have to slow down. As the two air streams exit the top and bottom of the diffuser, a vortex sheet is generated if the two streams have non-matching velocity. The greater strength this has, the greater the resulting drag/interference, I would surmise.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

horse wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote: The diffuser acts to slow the air down as it exits the underfloor - if it didn't, the air would have to slow down very suddenly
I believe that is a bit of a myth, you see. The air does not have to slow down. As the two air streams exit the top and bottom of the diffuser, a vortex sheet is generated if the two streams have non-matching velocity. The greater strength this has, the greater the resulting drag/interference, I would surmise.
:roll:

horse

All right, on reflection, I guess that Just_a_fan and I are talking about the same things, just said differently.

Hey, I'm an academic, "pedantic" is my middle name. :wink:

dren

horse wrote:

The expansion creates faster moving air under the car, thus lower pressure in that area. The beam wing has a lower pressure on its underside, which helps to suck air out of the diffuser, speeding up the airflow even more under the car and creating even more downforce.
Honda!

Sebp

What's going on here?
I'm guessing this is KERS-cooling related as they had some issues in Jerez.
Are those KERS batteries?

timbo
timbo

Sebp wrote:I'm guessing this is KERS-cooling related as they had some issues in Jerez.
It's fuel tank inlet.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Very interesting but I don't have a clue what they are. I just cannot imagine mounting batteries that high in the chassis. Maybe left uncovered for cooling though ..

Sebp

timbo wrote:
Sebp wrote:I'm guessing this is KERS-cooling related as they had some issues in Jerez.
It's fuel tank inlet.
I know that is the place where used to insert the fuel nozzle but why would they drive around without the lid?