Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mercedes GP W02

I think it is a function of the tires, not the car so much. Looking at the lap times and similar stints from several teams, the same 2 to 3 second fall off happens towards the end of the stint. Michael just had one stint that he fell off a bit, the others weren't quite as bad.
Honda!

zgred

vealio
vealio

Now that´s what we were talking about!

cirrusflyer

Hi, all!
New here (posting). Reading this forum for few years now. Good discussion.

[/quote] Where can we get all of the laptimes? I can throw the data into Mintab and run some quality checks on it.[/quote]

Try this link:
http://f1tests.mine.nu/2011_1eng.php?rev=on
If flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.
It's all about technology!
When you go fast, do not hesitate to go faster!

dren

I posted Schumacher's lap times in the testing thread.

From what Schumacher is saying, it sounds like the car may get a lucky win or two but it won't be a title contender.
Honda!

xpensive
xpensive

Come now esteemed forum members, it's not all doom and gloom for the squad carrying three-pointed star so proudly,
remember that the 7-time WDC was almost a second quicker than Indian ace Narain Karthikeyan in the glorious HRT? =D>

JET, as much as I admire your impeccable loyalty and relentess belief in MGP and the urban legends of them having an entirely different car back home at Brackley, just waiting to blow the opposition away and make MS a race-winner again...

...myself, I can only hear violins...
Last edited by xpensive on 18 Feb 2011, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

JohnsonsEvilTwin

The only one to do a full GP race sim I believe. Alonso had 15 lap stints coupled with 7 lappers.
Of course the W02 was never going to beat an RB7, and we know that. Ferrari appear to have moved closer to Red Bull, again though...it means nothing as we cant really tell fuel levels. Tyre wise though Degredation is good on both RB7 and 150th.
Even in basic form though the W02 still looks like it be a top 4/5 car.

With the sim data in the bank, Mercedes have accomplished a full GP distance without a problem. Tommorow they will probably do the same with Rosberg, with the same engine and KERS to test its reliabilty. Somthing the team were concerned about.

If Mercedes are happy after this test with reliability, we will see them move into their much speculated upgrade phase at the next test venue(wherever that is). All in keeping with Mercedes GP's plan in the first place.

If they are behind the people they were ahead of last season at the next test, THEN, it will be time for Stuttgart to wield the axe and cut out the deadwood.
Not before then.

Give them a chance to show us if they have actually moved forward and if there really is a much changed W02 on he cards.
More could have been done.
David Purley

dren

Autosport quoted Schumacher saying the W02 is a race winning car but not a championship winning car. So they may luck into a race win this year. He only had complaints last year, so hopefully this year is a step in the right direction.
Honda!

luca
luca

Actually it is a little worse than that, because he said that the car could aim at podiums and maybe, if things go very well, at winning a race or two.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89552

I am starting to have a feeling that it is like 2010 all over again.

Ferraripilot

luca wrote:Actually it is a little worse than that, because he said that the car could be good for podiums and, IF things go very well, for winning a race or two.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89552

I am starting to have a feeling that it is like 2010 all over again.

Yes, that's how I read this as well. Hopefully W02 won't be just a pretty face once it sees aero upgrades

NormalChris
NormalChris

You can see where the exhaust has discolored the bodywork. Was there FEE speculation with the merc?

Flanker27
Flanker27

NormalChris wrote:Image

You can see where the exhaust has discolored the bodywork. Was there FEE speculation with the merc?
it's your imagination...

NormalChris
NormalChris

Flanker27 wrote:
it's your imagination...

Did you look at the picture?
What do you think the brownish scorched area right at the floor where the exhaust runs on most cars is?

*They also seem to be running some weird type of bodywork (at least around the sidepods) that doesn't react like the standard FRP. It got all sorts of dents in it like its just a really thin shell. Could be why there's (possible) heat discoloration.
Last edited by NormalChris on 19 Feb 2011, 00:03, edited 2 times in total.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

What are these markings then?

timbo
timbo

andrew wrote:What are these markings then?
Sidepods are pretty tight (on all cars) and exhausts are beneath, so there's nothing sensational there are signs of heating.