Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Holm86

Re: Mercedes GP W02

timbo wrote:
andrew wrote:What are these markings then?
Sidepods are pretty tight (on all cars) and exhausts are beneath, so there's nothing sensational there are signs of heating.

True. If this was discoloration due to FEE then why would i be so far behind on the sidepod?

zgred

Flanker27
Flanker27

timbo wrote:
andrew wrote:What are these markings then?
Sidepods are pretty tight (on all cars) and exhausts are beneath, so there's nothing sensational there are signs of heating.
exactly... as said by HOLM, it cannot be due to FEE bacause it is too far behind on the sidepod

NormalChris
NormalChris

Flanker27 wrote:
NormalChris wrote:
You can see where the exhaust has discolored the bodywork. Was there FEE speculation with the merc?
it's your imagination...
Flanker27 wrote:
exactly... as said by HOLM, it cannot be due to FEE bacause it is too far behind on the sidepod
?

NormalChris
NormalChris

I'm guessing i poorly worded what I wrote and you thought I was speculating that I saw an FEE?

segedunum
segedunum

Oh come on people. There's little to discuss with this car because, well, nothing is happening. There's nothing even remotely interesting worth talking about on it.

There is no novel exhaust system on that car and there is no way that Bob Bell has given them any details they need to magically develop anything like it in time for Bahrain, whereupon they can simply throw it on the car. Renault have needed all their testing time to get whatever it is they have to work and even McLaren have two different versions running because they don't know which way to go. It's as desperate a suggestion as I've ever seen. This car is going to get nowhere near a podium, let alone any win. They'll be lucky to beat Williams and Torro Rosso, and at this stage I'd say Renault is some way ahead. That long stint Schumacher did today was a shocker.

Bob Bell is certainly an appointment in the right direction, but it's too little too late. It's something that should have been done in mid-2009 and anyone could have told them that. It certainly raises some questions about Ross Brawn's management and his much vaunted technical reputation, as well as the shares he's offloaded.

wesley123
wesley123

I am really thinking there is something incredibly wrong with this team, they have never made an really good car(with the exception of the Brawn BGP001 which would have been a 4th place contender either if the rest did the DDD trick). Apart from these the 2004 BAR and 2006 Honda were doable, but further these cars where pure and utter crap. What is wrong with this team?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

I only became a member of this forum because i just cannot understand the things which are written here by several users. Mercedes HAS ANNOUNCED an Update. If you compare the nose of the car with the rest of it, you can only recognize that the sidepots are FAKE. NO ONE in modern Formula One, EVEN WITHOUT CFD or a Wind Channel would shape a chassis like that just to mount it simply on the floor of it. No matter which kind of update we will see, but THIS VERSION OF THE CAR will NEVER EVER hit the racetrack during season. So please stop talking about it`s performance right now. I loved the conversation as long as people were discussing about possible modifications. Now it is all about talking Mercedes into not existing trouble.

Ferraripilot

ForMuLaOne wrote:I only became a member of this forum because i just cannot understand the things which are written here by several users. Mercedes HAS ANNOUNCED an Update. If you compare the nose of the car with the rest of it, you can only recognize that the sidepots are FAKE. NO ONE in modern Formula One, EVEN WITHOUT CFD or a Wind Channel would shape a chassis like that just to mount it simply on the floor of it. No matter which kind of update we will see, but THIS VERSION OF THE CAR will NEVER EVER hit the racetrack during season. So please stop talking about it`s performance right now. I loved the conversation as long as people were discussing about possible modifications. Now it is all about talking Mercedes into not existing trouble.
The updates will not bring 1.00+ seconds to this car, or any car for that matter. Well, I would be utterly amazed if they did. We'll have to see but I'm thinking the will bring maybe .750-.500. Don't misunderstand me, I love MB and Schu and hope they have something brilliant planned.

Predator

I wouldn't take much notice of the armchair experts. They actually believe they know more than the teams. Every day of a test means more ridicule of the team. We haven't even reached the first qualifying session of the year and people are already jumping to conclusions saying the car is rubbish and so is the team. For goodness sake, this is testing, not a race. If Brawn has said that this is an interim car, then why can't people accept that? The team have said they're focusing on reliability and not outright pace. And what was so shocking with Schumacher's race sim? I was watching the timing and thought the times were consistent, with no sign of the tyres quickly dropping off like before. Oh I forgot, if it's not Red Bull, then they're no good. Vettel must have done his quickest time on the SS tyres because his next lap was a good 2+ seconds slower, IIRC? We know the SS tyres are only good for one lap. After that, he pitted.

Anyway, like I've said before, I have full faith in the team and will only start to judge their performance once we actually go racing and not before. Members on here (me included) have predicted that certain aspects of the car will be modified and that was a good discussion point. The car definitely does not look like the finished article, so why write them off? None of the other threads have this type of talk, so why in here? If you're judging by the lap times, you could say they're a little slow, but no one knows what tyre compounds, fuel levels etc the teams are running. We have no idea on how the DRS and KERS are being used either, so how can anyone compare? It's just a guessing game. I thought testing was just that, testing the cars...

I hope Brawn delivers with the new update so we can end this tedious talk of Mercedes being rubbish.

forty-two

zgred wrote:Image
Definitely looks like they're running with a couple of panels missing off the top of their sidepods in this picture. Certainly doesn't look very aero-efficient at least!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

Predator wrote:
I hope Brawn delivers with the new update so we can end this tedious talk of Mercedes being rubbish.

Exactly :D

....and without beeing an expert i can tell you that if mercedes presents a car that looks ( in most areas) less sophisticated than a Lotus ( they managed to create smooth chassis transitions, just like Mercedes did last year, and when named Brawn GP) they REALLY are not running the serious version. And AGAIN I AM NO EXPERT....they will be even more than a second quicker i believe...but let`s wait and see :D

scuderiafan

I don't understand the wing appendage. It's just a verticle bargeboard without the bottom third.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... ev/410.jpg

Has anyone noticed the hole below the air intakes of the sidepots?

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

The sidepods look so much like an old McLaren its amazing. I wonder if Haug has dug up some old Newey designs.. :lol: