Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ferraripilot

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Caerdroia wrote:Who's they? Everything I've read has been talking about how Red Bull are using the DRS earlier and returning it back to it's normal position before any of the other teams.

Yes, someone please educate me as to this 'they' person as it makes zero sense that Red Bull would not be running ARW in one of the few remaining tests Vettel has in the car for a full race sim. THIS is the time to check and make sure your reliability is dead-on.

Ferraripilot

As for MB, I refuse to write them off before the first few races are completed and after everyone has had a good look at the upgrade aero they have been touting. This 'interim' car business they speak with will either make them look mediocre or like the Albert Einstein racing team. Let's hope the latter is true.

luca
luca

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Right so Red Bull started their Race Sim, and Vettel dropped off 3seconds from start to finish of his first stint. Almost the same as Schumacher, but a tad better (3.3 versus 3.6)
I cannot tell what compounds they are using, but it is the first stint of the GP sim. So Fuel loads will be similar even if the tyres arent.

The times for the first stint indicte the Red Bull is approximatley 0.7 to 1 second ahead of Mercedes. Although this can be clouded by use of KERS and exact fuel loads and tyre compounds.

Luca, Brawn has been saying that all along
The latest Brawn's interview could also be interpreted as Bahrain GP and not Bahrain test.
It is a lot risky to bring an untested car with supposedly new sidepods, front wing, rear wing, exhaust system, etc. directly to the first GP, especially for a team that started focusing on the 2011 car during mid-2010 already.
I fear they will just bring a car with some touch-ups here and there.

I hope this will not be the case, as I would really like to see Schumacher winning. :)
Last edited by luca on 19 Feb 2011, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

Med4224

Ferraripilot wrote:
Caerdroia wrote:Who's they? Everything I've read has been talking about how Red Bull are using the DRS earlier and returning it back to it's normal position before any of the other teams.

Yes, someone please educate me as to this 'they' person as it makes zero sense that Red Bull would not be running ARW in one of the few remaining tests Vettel has in the car for a full race sim. THIS is the time to check and make sure your reliability is dead-on.

As I just said, it is Autosport
They reported that Vettel is doing a full race simulation
and only using his ARW when he's in 1 second of someone

the question is was Michael doing the same?
cause then we can't compare their times
Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Albert Einstein

Ferraripilot

Ok yes I gotcha. No idea if Schu or Rosberg are doing the same thing, but if it's an actual race sim I can't imagine they would do it any different than actual conditions. No real usable date if it's being used the entire time.

luca
luca

Also, if the Bahrain GP really gets cancelled, on one hand they will have more time to develop the new components, but on the other hand it will probably be all more reason not to bring many new parts to the last test.

Med4224

luca wrote:Also, if the Bahrain GP really gets cancelled, on one hand they will have more time to develop the new components, but on the other hand it will probably be all more reason not to bring many new parts to the last test.
on ESPN F1 they wrote that if Bahrain gets cancelled
FIA will schedule an extra testing weekend in Europe

Any scenario of cancelling Bahrain seems to be beneficial for Mercedes
and any other team as well.

So yea maybe they'd delay the updates some more

Albert Einstein

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Vettel cannot use his ARW as he is not in quali mode nor will he be in a "race" so to speak. So any use of the ARW will only make whoever uses it look better.
I dont think Mercedes were using the ARW yesterday.

As for Rosberg, no they arent doing a GP sim. They are just doing laden fuel stints with the different set ups, to see if it affects tyre wear (probably).

Also on the subject of new bits, it probably means we wont see anything at the next test if Bahrain is indeed cancelled :evil:

Correction to this....Rosberg confirmed GP sim mode, with slot in the front wing of the W02.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Ferraripilot

Red Bull and Ferrari have topped the timesheets so far, and from watching the cars on track, look the class of the field. The Red Bull RB7 is using its moveable rear wing in places no other car can, for example in the middle of the fast corner heading onto the main straight.

Sebastian Vettel confirmed that the car is a clear step forward from the RB6 that carried him to last year's world championship.

Med4224

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Vettel cannot use his ARW as he is not in quali mode nor will he be in a "race" so to speak. So any use of the ARW will only make whoever uses it look better.
I dont think Mercedes were using the ARW yesterday.

As for Rosberg, no they arent doing a GP sim. They are just doing laden fuel stints with the different set ups, to see if it affects tyre wear (probably).

Also on the subject of new bits, it probably means we wont see anything at the next test if Bahrain is indeed cancelled :evil:

Correction to this....Rosberg confirmed GP sim mode, with slot in the front wing of the W02.

Unfortunate red flag
Vettel was doing an awesome run

I can't figure out why Mercedes' tyres wear so quickly??
The RB7 seems to be much gentler with them
I know the pirellis degrade fast, but still

Any of the speculated updates can change the tyre situation for Merc???

Albert Einstein

xpensive
xpensive

Come now JET, word in the Catalunya pitlane is that not only was the W02 running without ballast, the rear wing went flat as soon as they got on the straights. They clearly have their own mapping of the ARW.

Besides, spending time on a dog prior to season's opening, while hiding the real deal, would be a novel approach indeed.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Med4224

xpensive wrote:Come now JET, word in the Catalunya pitlane is that not only was the W02 running without ballast, the rear wing went flat as soon as they got on the straights. They clearly have their own mapping of the ARW.

Besides, spending time on a dog prior to season's opening, while hiding the real deal, would be a novel approach indeed.
that's exactly why I asked if Michael was using his ARW on the straights.
Cause people will line up to use that against them

'word in the pitlane'... very reliable source mate

Albert Einstein

segedunum
segedunum

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Mercedes GP have a plan, if it fails people like segedunum can have their little moment. I will savour the drive home in my 220CDI while he enjoys his Red Bull, so any comparison is tantamount to chalk and cheese.
Apart from the fact that there is no evidence for Mercedes's 'plan' other than words that don't add up and a whole car that they're not even testing.......

Come on now JET. A lot of use have been outlining our reasons for our extreme scepticism of Mercedes for some time. The obvious problems haven't all magically appeared out of nowhere and you are doing us a disservice if you're trying to imply that they have.

You can certainly savour the drive home in your 220CDI - after we've discovered if you hate Nomex just as much as I hate Red Bull. :lol:

luca
luca

Med4224 wrote: I can't figure out why Mercedes' tyres wear so quickly??
The RB7 seems to be much gentler with them
I know the pirellis degrade fast, but still

Any of the speculated updates can change the tyre situation for Merc???
Maybe it is because the car does not currently produce enough downforce at the rear? Or maybe the (interim) car has a particularly aggressive suspension geometry (designed to warm up the tyres early and so to solve the qualifying issues)?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

#-o

Here's a deal. If the W02 turns up at the first race of the season with no mods on it at all, and it looks Barca spec, I will buy the Drinks in Germany ALL WEEKEND.

Only then will any critique be fair. And until then, its just ranting.
More could have been done.
David Purley