Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
3one
3one

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Ferraripilot wrote:more out of Nico setting the quickest time at Barc testing thus far 1m23.168. I think Red Bull and Ferrari will break 1:22
With 10 more minutes for the session, lets see if RB or Ferrari will react...

segedunum
segedunum

xpensive wrote:.....I wonder what prompted the design-team to go for a wheelbase some 150-200 mm shorter than the other cars?
Well, quite. Wheelbase is something you generally picked based on the understanding of your aerodynamics and how prone you'd be to oversteer more than anything else. The rate of their tyre wear at the moment suggests they've rather made the wrong decision.

marcush.
marcush.

the times we see are pretty useless to make any judgement .We don´t know anything.too many variables.
what we are discussing is merely a summary of our wishful thinking be it positive or negative.
to me Mercedes looks like the only team that is not showing a car which is close to the 1st race configuration ...but who knows maybe they decided to be even more oldschool then they already were..
But how can they be on the top when the car is crap....Magic Rosberg? come on .all teams are doing their programme .and if it happens to be your luck you have the supersofts on the car when everyone else is on something else.
I do not see Mercedes ahead but I also do not count them out yet.they have ironed out their reliability issues as it looks so now they can look for speed.

thevlack
thevlack

marcush. wrote:the times we see are pretty useless to make any judgement .We don´t know anything.too many variables.
what we are discussing is merely a summary of our wishful thinking be it positive or negative.
to me Mercedes looks like the only team that is not showing a car which is close to the 1st race configuration ...but who knows maybe they decided to be even more oldschool then they already were..
But how can they be on the top when the car is crap....Magic Rosberg? come on .all teams are doing their programme .and if it happens to be your luck you have the supersofts on the car when everyone else is on something else.
I do not see Mercedes ahead but I also do not count them out yet.they have ironed out their reliability issues as it looks so now they can look for speed.
+1

3one
3one

marcush. wrote:the times we see are pretty useless to make any judgement .We don´t know anything.too many variables.
Well looks like they went for a qualifying test run on the last part of the day with all the rubber now laid on the track... I just hope the same performance happen during GP qualifying...

In fixing their teething problems on the tires, for a whole race, thats another thing... We just hope as fans of MB that they fix them soon...

volarchico
volarchico

zgred wrote:Image
Is it just me (or the washed out image)...but does the upper element of the rear wing look VERY small (short chord) compared to the past?

Byronrhys

Petrov's time was on a 2 Lap stint, how long was Nico's? Did he pit after he did the first time topper? I'll hold all remarks on the W02 until the first GP, they seem confident on the step they will make thats for sure.

FrukostScones

"old" wing

new wing

In my opinion the car is still slow, maybe the new wing boosts the qualifying performance. But it won't help in the race anyway.
Last edited by FrukostScones on 20 Feb 2011, 19:21, edited 4 times in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

scuderiafan

volarchico wrote:
zgred wrote:Image
Is it just me (or the washed out image)...but does the upper element of the rear wing look VERY small (short chord) compared to the past?
It's definitely a really short chord. If you look near the "s" in "PETRONAS", you can see the full width of the wing.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

jasonrobert
jasonrobert

rosberg did that time in one lap then pitted. he also did a two lap run before and came close with a 1:23.752 and a 1:24.891.

cirrusflyer

Byronrhys wrote:Petrov's time was on a 2 Lap stint, how long was Nico's? Did he pit after he did the first time topper? I'll hold all remarks on the W02 until the first GP, they seem confident on the step they will make thats for sure.
Yes he did, while Petrov did not.
See for your self:
http://f1tests.mine.nu/2011_1eng.php?rev=on
If flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.
It's all about technology!
When you go fast, do not hesitate to go faster!

jasonrobert
jasonrobert

cirrusflyer wrote:
Byronrhys wrote:Petrov's time was on a 2 Lap stint, how long was Nico's? Did he pit after he did the first time topper? I'll hold all remarks on the W02 until the first GP, they seem confident on the step they will make thats for sure.
See for your self:

what significance does this have, if any?

cirrusflyer

jasonrobert wrote:
cirrusflyer wrote:
See for your self:

what significance does this have, if any?
Only for the team itself. We don't know nothing about fuel levels, tyre choice.
I just posted the link where everyone can make his or hers own opinion by comparing times of diferent drivers (teams).
If flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.
It's all about technology!
When you go fast, do not hesitate to go faster!

zgred

red300zx99
red300zx99

Seems to me that the shorter wheelbase will be an advantage this season with all the reports that large steering inputs significantly increases wear
gridmotorsports.com