Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
segedunum
segedunum

Re: Mercedes GP W02

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Perhaps instead of pumping 80 million dollars into a rival entity(McLaren)was less attractive than actually producing their own cars in F1 and getting total exposure.
More like indecent exposure...... That looks pretty cheap compared to what they're going to have to spend to get on a par with what they were achieving at McLaren. They're going to pay for their insistence on having control over something that they don't really want control over.
Last edited by segedunum on 23 Feb 2011, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

Med4224

segedunum wrote:Maybe we can stop the tripe being poured into these car threads from people who are doing nothing more than trying to reassure themselves that everything will be OK? This tripe manifests itself for page after page, but when I turn up we've suddenly gone off topic all of a sudden, it's all my doing and all my fault. :lol:

The truth is what it is and it hurts I'm afraid, but moaning about other people pointing it out won't help. Making it personal won't help either. I probably like Ferrari less than Mercedes, but nevertheless you can't deny that they look in pretty competent shape. Mercedes, put simply, don't. There it is.

If you want to discuss the car then do it (not that there's much to discuss), but don't start blaming people when they call out the bull.
I am a Mercedes fan, I am a Michael fan, and I am very optimistic about Mercedes.
But Also I am a realist and yea I agree, Mercedes so far don't look so good.
Or at least not as good as we expected.
However, they still have the chance to do better for 2011, and that is all that's required of them.
All those saying Mercedes is in a bad shape so far (compared to frontrunners), you are right.
And all those who say we should wait and see what they'll bring, you are right as well.

As for discussing the car, yea there isn't much to discuss.
It's pretty basic.
But hopefully Mercedes will get an update and look and do better with the first race.
It is that simple
Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Albert Einstein

ggajic
ggajic

Med4224 wrote: Not to sound too proud, but that is how Germans work.

the only take i have on Daimler so far, is that they didn't send their own engineers to Mercedes GP. It's only the Mercedes name so far, and not the ruthless German engineering at work.

So please, sit where you should be, a fan. Don't jump beyond your knowledge.
I think that Mercedes, after they bough BrawnGP, should brough German management, or they should have moved team to Stuttgart. It is pity that both Mercedes high performance engines are in fact Ilmor and that Brawn GP is Mercedes GP. This is like buying some company and putting stickers...

Med4224

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 22217.html

A 16-lap long run with impressive consistency by Michael Schumacher caused a bit of a stir in Barcelona on Monday. The record-breaking world champion kept the times stable in the 1:28s till the 6th lap when he dropped to 1:29s. A good sign for Mercedes and the world champion, given that the Pirelli tires have a tendency to go down to its knees very quickly.

Mercedes is the fastest car on the straights, which is very important. Haug: "As all the cars appeared to be relatively close to each other, the top speed could play an important role." Finally, he adds: "When things are going in the right direction, the Silver Arrow may surprise you."

Albert Einstein

Med4224

ggajic wrote:
Med4224 wrote: Not to sound too proud, but that is how Germans work.

the only take i have on Daimler so far, is that they didn't send their own engineers to Mercedes GP. It's only the Mercedes name so far, and not the ruthless German engineering at work.

So please, sit where you should be, a fan. Don't jump beyond your knowledge.
I think that Mercedes, after they bough BrawnGP, should brough German management, or they should have moved team to Stuttgart. It is pity that both Mercedes high performance engines are in fact Ilmor and that Brawn GP is Mercedes GP. This is like buying some company and putting stickers...
yea true, but Mercedes are trying to parade as a Multinational company to benefit in different world markets. It is a pity that they're doing it that way, putting stickers.
I really want to see what german engineering can do in Formula 1. I hope they move to Stuttgart on a long term startegy. Maybe in the coming years they will include their own engineers in Merc GP..hopefully

Albert Einstein

mith

I see this quote about them being fastest on the straight constantly... I know they have a bit different rear wing concept (but one easy to copy in my opinion), but couldn't it be also because of the lack of downforce. You know, lesser df levels are usually coupled with lesser drag... I'm not saying it must be the case, but somehow I just haven't seen anyone trying to look at things from this point of view.

FrukostScones

please someone lock the thread until 8th of march, please.......

Med4224

mith wrote:I see this quote about them being fastest on the straight constantly... I know they have a bit different rear wing concept (but one easy to copy in my opinion), but couldn't it be also because of the lack of downforce. You know, lesser df levels are usually coupled with lesser drag... I'm not saying it must be the case, but somehow I just haven't seen anyone trying to look at things from this point of view.
yes, that could be true
However during the closing stages of 2010 Mercedes also had the best top-speed
and it showed perfectly on the straights of Korea with Michael.

I believe they would still have the highest top-speed even after aero-upgrade and increase in D/F. It's a Mercedes characteristic to have the highest top-speed.
And it could really make a difference in early stages of a race, they can overtake well and it would be terribly hard to overtake them on straights.

Their ARW is really good
Hopefully the rest of the new parts will be this good as well.

there's no need to lock the thread till then
it is not so much out of hand

Albert Einstein

marcush.
marcush.

Maybe the uninspired Honda bunch is not quite as bad they could be replaced by some stuttgart Dr`s and gain something useful ...
If it were Audi i could imagine they could and would contribute in major ways but honestly speaking there is not much relevance from passenger car development to carry over to F1 apart from material science and expensive equipment a race team simply cannot afford...(but maybe has already due to the big spending in recent years).I don´t think Mercedes stuttgart is better equipped with sls machinery than a top F1 team ,for example.Or Carbonfibre technology is more advanced than say at places like RedBull ... :roll: It´s cutting edge really and this is not even on the agenda of an automotive car mass producer....you´re looking to the wrong people there research and development nowadays is brought in as a service.

ringo

The thread shouldn't be locked.
It would be a double standard. The W01 thread had long winded banter on everything but the car.
Anyone can look back on it now to see that literally 70% of that thread is talk about the brackley team and not the car.

The team designs the car so it should be fair to discuss their practices, as long as it stays within the bounds of the W02.
You get a better understanding of the car with a background on the team that designed it.
For Sure!!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

The Mercedes GP-first year and inaugeration thread is still knocking about.

Resuscitate it if you want to discuss the merits and pitfalls of Mercedes GP. For the record Mercedes-Benz HPE is a hive of multinational activity, alot of it German.
Doesnt make it any less Mercedes-Benz.

Mercedes money, initiative and management all the rest is insubstantial.

Regards the W02's top end, it will be a bonus. But we need to see wether brawns numbers stack up with the new aero pack.
I for one HOPE it is effective, so that it can keep segedunums whining to a minimum.
More could have been done.
David Purley

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

Mercedes could have launched anything on four wheels and some of you would have accepted it to be the real 2011 contender. It really shows huge lack of knowledge in aerodynamics, general car engineering and feeling for F1 itself to believe that this car is IT. They are already fast enough to be at least in range of good positions. But wait until they run their real car. Then the "silver bolt" will appear as the "silver arrow" and some of you will have to adjust their understanding of testing a F1 car. You just don`t have enough imagination to see that they built a car which is quite far away from it`s final race version.

And all this "untested upgradings blaaaah, should try their stuff pre season blaaaah" you guys saw Mc Laren finding two seconds during season, without testing. Every team is able to find one to two seconds without testing. So there`s simply no need of testing items which bring a LOT of time when you can do temperature tests (exhaust) and very precise aerodynamics in the wind channel (bodywork). I dont know if it`s non existing intelligence, i highly doubt it. So it has to be ignorance and some sort of sympathy for other teams that results in NEVER ENDING VETO.

This is my last comment until Mercedes shows a different version of the car. THEN we will have something to discuss. And i bet a lot that i can describe the car by simply using quotation from people like raptor22 or marcush and myself.

Have a nice time!

Predator

I was searching for pics of the car and came across these. They're from when it was launched:

Giblet
Giblet

The thing about these car threads that NOBODY here is getting, is that they were never meant to be places to air your opinions on every aspect of the team.

The idea, the core concept, the raison d'être, the meat and potatoes, is that these threads are here to talk about parts of the car, the car concept, the new parts getting put on, if they seem to be working or not, etc.

All this talk about MGP and opinions about how they report to Dailmer and Haug being a windbag etc etc is all so trivial and counter productive to these threads.

I wish they all looked like BAR555 posts. Succinct, clear, and showing parts of the car, usually in comparison to last year.

Stop talking about what is around the car, and get to the car. If you are unsure if your post is not related to the car specifically, DON'T POST AT ALL.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

PlatinumZealot

Predator wrote:I was searching for pics of the car and came across these. They're from when it was launched:

The floor is very plain and basic. I see what they mean when they say it's not Race spec.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028