Australian GP 2006

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
wowf1
wowf1

taleed...It is that loud! As commentators often say, TV and audio recordings cannot do the noise justice. I remember my first Grand Prix outing at Silverstone in 1999. The coach pulled up on the road about a mile from the circuit, and it sounded like the cars were in the field about 2metres away! I think they were beginning their installation laps and morning practice (when there was such a thing), but my god it was loud. I know Top Fuel dragsters are louder, but F1 cars make a better sound in my opinion.

Principessa

Tomba and I went to the World Series in Zolder last year. You really need earplugs. It will destroy your hearing otherwise. Franck Montagny was there too with the R25 and drove a few laps as only car on the circuit at that time and that was already really really really loud. Even earplugs can't prevent from hearing it really loud!

Scuderia_Russ

taleed wrote:why earplugs?
...it can't be that loud.
Trust me, gearchanges are like thunderclaps, especially when it's bouncing around a stadium you are sitting in! Don't try and be the big man by going without plugs because you will regret it! I'm only 24 and already have tinitus coming on. And there is no cure!

rsfocus
rsfocus

i was speaking to a friend on the phone one day when she was in melbourne while the gp was on, she was in the city centre and you could here the gp cars clearly over the phone.

when i went in 2000 i didnt wear earplugs, should have though, but i had to hear the start (was on the pit straight) then i had my mobile hands free in one ear so it made a little difference. will be wearing ear plugs though this year

Tom

I was only 10 at my first GP so I wasn't bothered about the noise.
After all DC was winning, but many stadiums magically amplify the noise.
It is a good idea to bring them just in case. Especially with the new V8s
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Principessa

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/2317

Nice way to get ready for Australian GP :wink:
The Red Bull and Toro Rosso drivers always have nice things to do...only for that drivers would move to one of those teams :P

manchild
manchild

I don't know about red bulls but I'm sure there are great white sharks in those waters 8-[

Principessa

manchild wrote:I don't know about red bulls but I'm sure there are great white sharks in those waters 8-[
Hehehe :D Super Manchild.

Scuderia_Russ

Geez, they've got it tough!

f1.redbaron

taleed wrote:why earplugs?
...it can't be that loud.
In Canada, on a race day, you will see people selling a pair of earplugs for $2.50. And people buy them...

I've been going to that race for several years in a row now, and I've never went without a pair. Sure, I like to take them out and listen to the sound of those engines, but I do this for a very brief moment...a minute or so.

If I'm not mistaken, Renault's V10 produced over 160db...compare that to a 747 whose engines produce about 140db, or a jackhammer which produces about 110db.

You don't wanna put yourself in a situation where you'll be deaf by the time you reach 30.

Tom

What?

Speak up.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Principessa

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/2351

Well, sure Liuzzi looks in shape :oops: !

The Red Bull and Toro Rosso drivers seem to be on a survival vacation in the sun...must be nice to be in those teams!

Principessa

Massa at the Rugby match :P

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/2331

zac510
zac510

Take earplugs people - it's not worth being deaf to save £2.

Principessa

Not only good in an f1 car but also on the tennis court!!

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/2359

Like a real tennis star :wink: