Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Mercedes GP inaugeration thread guys...keep giblet happy! :lol:
More could have been done.
David Purley

Raptor22
Raptor22

the sales of Brawnsshaes to Mercedes was covered nearly a month ago. Its old news

cirrusflyer

Ferraripilot wrote:Anyone have any predictions regarding their sidepods and exhaust arrangement?

The more I stare at W02, I am seeing a double floor and very clever RBish type exhaust in the near future. The curve at the sidepod where it meets the floor (below the word Malaysia) so visibly in the below pic almost looks as if they purposely did this for testing.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 2011-3.jpg
Had some time in lunch break, took pencil and ruler...sorry is not like pro picture, just for getting an idea.
That double floor idea just cant get out of my head.
What do you thing of that?

solution A - RB type where exhaust blows under the floor.
solution B - at the side of sidepod blowing partly over, partly under the floor.
solution C - inner part of the tunnel where exhaust accelerating air over diffuser - shortest pipes (no loss of power)
solution D - similar to ranaults
If flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.
It's all about technology!
When you go fast, do not hesitate to go faster!

xpensive
xpensive

Last edited by xpensive on 01 Mar 2011, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Ferraripilot

xpensive wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Mercedes GP inaugeration thread guys...keep giblet happy! :lol:
Well, JET, I have just agreed to a new assignment in RedWhiteBlue country, beginning w31, which should give me a good full week to recouperate from a serious RBMV-up at the ring. Care to up the ante a bit, wouldn't mind if I do myself...?

What does this have to do with W02 and it's technical properties? Please stop or create another thread.

Ferraripilot

cirrusflyer wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:Anyone have any predictions regarding their sidepods and exhaust arrangement?

The more I stare at W02, I am seeing a double floor and very clever RBish type exhaust in the near future. The curve at the sidepod where it meets the floor (below the word Malaysia) so visibly in the below pic almost looks as if they purposely did this for testing.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 2011-3.jpg
Had some time in lunch break, took pencil and ruler...sorry is not like pro picture, just for getting an idea.
That double floor idea just cant get out of my head.
What do you thing of that?

solution A - RB type where exhaust blows under the floor.
solution B - at the side of sidepod blowing partly over, partly under the floor.
solution C - inner part of the tunnel where exhaust accelerating air over diffuser - shortest pipes (no loss of power)
solution D - similar to ranaults

thanks for the drawing.
The cooling of the KERS system has me very curious as Brawn has stated their upgrades have addressed the issue, but how.... As I see it's current configuration, the KERS bits are mounted in an area which doesn't strike me as the area where one would want to impede flow very much. That being the case, they may just be moving them altogether, and if they know that to be the 'fix' why didn't they just do that in the first place?

dren

I'm guessing they will not be moving the KERS components around much. I expect the cooling issues were problems with air flow due to radiator sizing/placement. I wonder if the car will have a through flow for a double floor or an actual cut out like the Toro Rosso. I could see the exhaust exiting around the sidepods like example "C".
Honda!

dren

Do you guys think they will stay with the shark fin heat exits or go with something more like Red Bull?
Honda!

Ferraripilot

dren wrote:Do you guys think they will stay with the shark fin heat exits or go with something more like Red Bull?

RB7 style all the way IMO.

marcush.
marcush.

placing the kers heat exchangers behind the water rads will offer to hot entry temps maybe..either put them infront(adding resistance) or have a completely separated duct(more crosssection inner flow needed)...

wesley123
wesley123

not really fitting for the W02 thread but it isnt worth a new topic either

Anyway, a video of a new simulator in Berlin;
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-loyFgU ... r_embedded[/youtube]

Funny part of it is that the car they use for it is the 2006 Ferrari 248F1, Would have been better if they used an old Honda or a McLaren...
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

wesley123 wrote: Funny part of it is that the car they use for it is the 2006 Ferrari 248F1, Would have been better if they used an old Honda or a McLaren...
Doesn't look anything like the Ferrari...

dren

What if they keep the bottom part of the sidepods and chop the top down to where the crash structure beams are? Cleaner flow over the pods that way.
Honda!

wesley123
wesley123

Diesel wrote:
wesley123 wrote: Funny part of it is that the car they use for it is the 2006 Ferrari 248F1, Would have been better if they used an old Honda or a McLaren...
Look at the pid wing setup and the rear wing and compare them to the 248F1
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

wesley123 wrote:
Diesel wrote:
Look at the pid wing setup and the rear wing and compare them to the 248F1
Compare it to any other car from that year? I can see what your getting out, but it looks more like a generic f1 car than anything else.