Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
volarchico
volarchico

Re: Mercedes GP W02

bot6 wrote:This floor still seems extremely simple and crude. So do the entry points of the suspension in the rear bodywork... Unless they are really only testing if their new exhaust risks melting the rear suspension, I don't really see the point of testing this with a floor they're not going to race. This worries me...
Good point. The sidepods still meet the floor with no radius or fillet and they have stuck temp stickers all over the place.

FrukostScones

i dont know if the last pic is a little bit sharper, but can we see two exhausts here. The second one next to the gearbox???
Last edited by FrukostScones on 09 Mar 2011, 15:56, edited 4 times in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

Random musing that probably doesn't belong in this topic....but since I'm here:

I wonder if an exhaust can be angled to blow away the oncoming air from the rear wheels, thereby reducing their drag?

It would have to be sufficiently far away from the tyres so that they don't overheat, but a stream of hot fast air will certainly deflect the oncoming air to an extent.

Now I shall wait for the rest of you to give me reasons why this is somehow illegal. Bloody FIA curbing my genius.... :D

Edit:
The Genius misspelled genius. :roll:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Raptor22
Raptor22

marcush. wrote:what about a huge undercut of the sidepod + a downward periscope exit of the exhaust into the zone close to the floor? Is the current outlet not illegal? as it is positioned to high?
well thats what I was getting at. They have stated furthe r exhaust development is to come over the next two days and I can see what you're seeing. It will be very Torro Rosso STR6esque possibly with theexhaust outlet further upstream and more divergent nozzle shape to the underside of the sidepod.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

The body work that is poorly fitting where the suspension joins the car, you can see its an entire side pod panel.
So if Mercedes are re jigging the Sidepods, it stands to reason this temporary measure will be poorly fitted/finished until we see the final solution.
More could have been done.
David Purley

forty-two

How are all those gills going to be legal?

I understood that Ferrari got away with gills last year by "extending the exhaust outlet" with a tiny slit which continued from the exhaust outlet proper to the gills and then each vane of each "gill" had a tiny slit in it, making the whole outlet "one". I understood however that this loophole had been closed in the 2011 regs, something about "Maximum distance between extremes of exhaust outlet"?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Team boss Ross Brawn said: "The exhaust gases have a high energy the greater the distance, where you can use this energy, the better.." Race director Norbert Haug added: "We have a different philosophy than Red Bull, because we blow a place under the ground."
Excuse the rough translation...but how does this current concept "blow a place under the ground"?
David Purley

forty-two

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Team boss Ross Brawn said: "The exhaust gases have a high energy the greater the distance, where you can use this energy, the better.." Race director Norbert Haug added: "We have a different philosophy than Red Bull, because we blow a place under the ground."
Excuse the rough translation...but how does this current concept "blow a place under the ground"?
I'm more confused by "the exhaust hases have a high energy the greater the distance", does this imply that the exhaust gases have more energy the farther away they are?

Surely the inverse square law applies to the heat/energy contained in exhaust gas?

marcush.
marcush.

that metalic guidevane mounted on top of the floor is showing a lot of coloration...that´s temp isn´t it?

also Mercedes are the first to use temperature sensitive paint to map the temperature distribution over the floor and sidepods- tempilstick - it is called-not those stickers I wondered whhy they did not do that before...

http://www.tempil.com/closeup.asp?cid=4 ... 74&theme=0

FrukostScones

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
I think it means : "...because we blow on the floor instead of under the floor."

Goran2812
Goran2812

what's that?
Last edited by Goran2812 on 09 Mar 2011, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Ok so we now also have some semblance of understanding as to why Brawn decided Mercedes should go Short Wheel Base with the W02.
AMuS wrote: No car has such a short wheelbase. The silver arrow is two inches shorter than the Ferrari, Nine as the Red Bull and McLaren than the whopping 27 centimeters. "We think that works better with a short drive clipped the diffuser," said team boss Ross Brawn. Smiling, he adds, "Hopefully, our calculations are correct."
David Purley

forty-two

I'm just seeing the word "image". Is anyone else seeing the picture?

FrukostScones

Goran2812 wrote:what's that?
another possible exhaust???

Goran2812
Goran2812

let's just say I won't be using imageshack anymore... -.- the pic is up now... sorry

and not to be completely oftopic... that looks like another exhaust to me... :/
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1