Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
BrawnGP
BrawnGP

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Was just about to put up a similar image, i even used a red circle as well!!! I reckon that could be another one to be used like RB, Ferrari?

Regarding the possible double floor i wouldnt be surprised to see the Primary!!!!!?exhaust positioned inside the channel under the side pod. As an aero fella mentioned that the only problem with Toro rosso's double floor is the extra surfaces(double) cause friction to the air passing through, this possibly outweighs the advantage. But if you you can energise the air with the flow of the exhaust gases this could be the solution.

Twaddle
Twaddle

Raptor22 wrote:Like JET I'm sort of wonderin if a STR6 type sidepod arrangement is not on the cards with the exhaust exiting further upstream under the sidepod but above the floor...
Now that we've seen this exhaust position, this seems to be the obvious answer. This way you're not just using the exhaust to add to the air that passes under the raised pods, but also using it to draw more air through from the front of the pods.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Filtered out version of the picture

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Almost certain it's a pipe
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Mandrake
Mandrake

Dragonfly wrote:Filtered out version of the picture

Almost certain it's a pipe
Well it does look like one! It would also be in a position where no other car has placed its exhaust. It's also supported by a lot of gills along the way back there, which I think leads to the assumption the pipe actually goes behind those panels all the way to the back!

I cannot see the benefits of this though. But if those exhaust in the sidepod were really fake, then MGP have done an even better job with faking than RBR last year :D

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Ok so what are they doing, Directly blowing the starter hole of the diffuser?
More could have been done.
David Purley

Blackout

New sidepods a la R27/R28

bot6
bot6

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Team boss Ross Brawn said: "The exhaust gases have a high energy the greater the distance, where you can use this energy, the better.." Race director Norbert Haug added: "We have a different philosophy than Red Bull, because we blow a place under the ground."
Excuse the rough translation...but how does this current concept "blow a place under the ground"?
I think that what he means is that the more floor length you can reach with the hot exhaust gases the better.

It's also the train of thought of Renault who have their exhaust blowing the whole length of the floor. Red Bull are only blowing the diffuser.

JET, where did you get the quote? Could you post it in its original untranslated version?

On a side note, I thought Max was the one getting blown somewhere underground...

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@Bot
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 26683.html
@Blackout
I dont think the current W02 sidepods are anything like the R27 and R28 pods.
But I think they may end up like that though
More could have been done.
David Purley

FrukostScones

bot6 wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Team boss Ross Brawn said: "The exhaust gases have a high energy the greater the distance, where you can use this energy, the better.." Race director Norbert Haug added: "We have a different philosophy than Red Bull, because we blow a place under the ground."
Excuse the rough translation...but how does this current concept "blow a place under the ground"?
I think that what he means is that the more floor length you can reach with the hot exhaust gases the better.

It's also the train of thought of Renault who have their exhaust blowing the whole length of the floor. Red Bull are only blowing the diffuser.

JET, where did you get the quote? Could you post it in its original untranslated version?

On a side note, I thought Max was the one getting blown somewhere underground...

helloooo:
Teamchef Ross Brawn erklärt: "Die Auspuffgase haben eine hohe Energie. Je größer die Wegstrecke, auf der du diese Energie nutzen kannst, umso besser." Rennleiter Norbert Haug ergänzt: "Wir haben eine andere Philosophie als Red Bull, weil wir auf statt unter den Boden blasen."
translation:

.....Ross Brawn....
.. Norbert Haug.. :"We have a different philosophy than Red Bull, because we blow on the floor (not the tarmac is meant/ground(Boden in German can mean both)) instead of under the floor."

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 26683.html
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The additional "pipe" is probably just for the starter. As they are limited to 2 exhaust openings, they can't run a third pipe in that region.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

marekk
marekk

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
NewtonMeter wrote:I was just thinking that with the exhausts were they currently are, it might not be necessary to have hugely undercut sidepods.

I mean, what is the reason you want an undercut on a sidepod? To have better flow to the floor. And a fat sidepod gets in the way of this. So instead of having a huge undercut to restore the flow, they substitute the flow of air with flow of exhaust gasses.

I don't know if I'm explaining this properly...
I see where you are getting at with this, I was hoping for something a bit more outlandish. The exhaust positioning on the W02 is something of a Red Bull pastiche.
Adding more undercut, with the additional exhaust gas would have been exceptional. Think somthing along the lines of Torro rosso's double floor concept.

Again we havent seen it all, but I would like to echo Volarchico's sentiments a couple of posts ago by saying I actually agree for a change with segedunum :D

If it rains the next couple of days as has been predicted, Mercedes will not be getting the best run time with their new mods/updates.
I'm afraid we have to look at the numbers, guys.
2.4 ltr, 4-stroke engine takes 180 ltr/s of air at intake and expands it (thermal expansion) to about 600 ltr/s (270K ambient, 900K exhaust).
At 60m/s (just 216 kmh), you get 600 ltr/s is what you get from an undercut (or other sort of channel) with 10cm^2 of cross-sectional area. Basically less then area of both exhaust outlets.
And as this exhaust quickly cools, volume decreases even more.
You can't simply replace undercuts with exhausts.

Blackout

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: @Blackout
I dont think the current W02 sidepods are anything like the R27 and R28 pods.
And you are wrong. I'm talking about their shape when seen from above...

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2008/ ... 0x1440.jpg

All I mean is: those sidepods are completely new... they also have bigger intakes.

bot6
bot6

Not sure the pod intakes are bigger. They are however slightly different in shape and curved forwards when seen from the top (to scoop air in more efficiently I suppose).

The thing is, they look so big compared to the Ferrari and Red Bull ones...

Ferraripilot

Interesting they are not throwing all the new stuff on for testing. I would have thought they would test all the new aero as much as possible. Hope it works out for them. Their exhaust arrangement is simple and they finally have proper turning vanes on the thing. Looking forward to part 2 and 3 of this saga.

I think MB is holding true to what they were stating in that they certainly had a ton of new stuff to get on the car.