Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Formula None
Formula None

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Just_a_fan wrote:The additional "pipe" is probably just for the starter. As they are limited to 2 exhaust openings, they can't run a third pipe in that region.
Correct, scarbs corrected me on this a few pages back.
scarbs wrote:No thats the starter motor shaft, its not an exhaust. On the Merc its offset to the side slightly. McLaren had this offset starter up until a year ago.

Raptor22
Raptor22

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Ok so we now also have some semblance of understanding as to why Brawn decided Mercedes should go Short Wheel Base with the W02.
AMuS wrote: No car has such a short wheelbase. The silver arrow is two inches shorter than the Ferrari, Nine as the Red Bull and McLaren than the whopping 27 centimeters. "We think that works better with a short drive clipped the diffuser," said team boss Ross Brawn. Smiling he adds, "Hopefully, our calculations are correct."

Yeah thats kind of what I was thinking. Every diffuser has an ideal throat length and a mximum throat length before the efficiency of the diffuser drops off. To regian the efficiency you have change the dimensions. i see what they did is calculate the maximum length they could work with for the maximum allowe diffusor size.
It only works within a narrow mass flow range though so they had better have their calculations spot on with no rounding up of numbers :P

AS for the blowing over the floor, Haug is talking about utilising the expansion of the hot gases to impart the maximum energy transfer to surrounding air. This is why they opted for a longer path length and that makes good sense but again it works for a narrow mass flow range...

More to come tomorrow

luca
luca

BARCELONA TEST - DAY ONE

The MERCEDES GP PETRONAS team’s final test ahead of the 2011 Formula One season began at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona today with Nico Rosberg at the wheel of the MGP W02.

- The team ran the first items of its upgrade package today including a new exhaust package and new bodywork.
- The morning was spent conducting baseline runs with the new components to ensure they were performing as predicted.
- Results were in line with the team's expectations.
- The afternoon session focused on set-up and tyre management over longer runs.
- A bodywork problem brought the day’s running to an earlier than planned end.
- Nico completed 100 laps today, equating to 466 kms. The team has now completed 4768 kms of pre-season testing.
- Nico’s quickest time was set on the first lap of what proved to be his final long run of the day.

Michael Schumacher will take over the car for Thursday and Friday, with Nico completing the programme on Saturday.

Nico Rosberg: “It was nice to get the first of our upgrades on the car today, and to feel their potential. Thanks to everyone at the team for their hard work as I think we have some impressive developments, even though we couldn’t test or show the full performance today as not all of the elements are on the car and working together yet. We had glimpses that showed that the full package should be a big step. The bodywork problem cost some time at the end, however we still learned a great deal.”
Source: http://www.mercedes-gp.com/

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

forty-two wrote:How are all those gills going to be legal?

I understood that Ferrari got away with gills last year by "extending the exhaust outlet" with a tiny slit which continued from the exhaust outlet proper to the gills and then each vane of each "gill" had a tiny slit in it, making the whole outlet "one". I understood however that this loophole had been closed in the 2011 regs, something about "Maximum distance between extremes of exhaust outlet"?
They appear to be pushing the boundries of this loophole by extending some of the gills from other holes in the bodywork, see the rear suspension pickup points for example.

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

FrukostScones

Why the yellow/orange coating in the area of the starter hole?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

tjaeger
tjaeger

Is this the starter hole? Now rather a tube, sticking above the floor?

Sorry canot manage to get the pic uploaded...
You cannot engineer out stupidity.

PlatinumZealot

FrukostScones wrote:

Why the yellow/orange coating in the area of the starter hole?
Maybe because the gasses move slower in that area. More time for heat transfer. IT might be hotter than the other parts.

I think this thing might be:

1. An infrared camera to watch the exhaust flow.
2. A pilot for the starter gun (maybe now at an angle?)
3. Some sort of exhuast pipe but very unlikely looking at the closeness of the pull rod.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

forty-two

Looks like the Merc boys have bought themselves some "secret screening" as per Red Bull.

The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

forty-two

Diesel wrote:
forty-two wrote:How are all those gills going to be legal?

I understood that Ferrari got away with gills last year by "extending the exhaust outlet" with a tiny slit which continued from the exhaust outlet proper to the gills and then each vane of each "gill" had a tiny slit in it, making the whole outlet "one". I understood however that this loophole had been closed in the 2011 regs, something about "Maximum distance between extremes of exhaust outlet"?
They appear to be pushing the boundries of this loophole by extending some of the gills from other holes in the bodywork, see the rear suspension pickup points for example.
Good point, but how do they square this one:
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

jav
jav

This one is taped up on the inside and if I recall- supposed to be replaced by smooth one soon.

The FOZ
The FOZ

FrukostScones wrote:
Goran2812 wrote:what's that?
another possible exhaust???
Oops...nevermind
Last edited by The FOZ on 10 Mar 2011, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.

Blackout

Another photo on the completely new sidepods... they are also tighter around the rear wishbones and Gbox...

raymondu999

Have they changed the shape of the sidepod inlets when viewed head on? I mean the new ones that are swept forwards when viewed from above
失败者找理由,成功者找方法