Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Re: Mercedes GP W02

forty-two wrote:
That looks like a lot of rear positive camber.... :wtf:

Goran2812
Goran2812

i have a question... it's probably stupid but... where do they keep the gas tank cap? lol how is fuel added in the car?
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

The FOZ
The FOZ

Goran2812 wrote:i have a question... it's probably stupid but... where do they keep the gas tank cap? lol how is fuel added in the car?
My guess would be it's accessed through the cover beneath the second "e" in Mercedes.

dren

Looking at the pictures, I don't know if we will see anything different with the sidepods tomorrow. I expect a new front wing, but I think the pods on it today are the new ones.
Honda!

raymondu999

RacingManiac wrote:That looks like a lot of rear positive camber.... :wtf:
That's an interesting point. Aren't tyres usually cambered bottom-outwards/negative?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pandamasque

RacingManiac wrote:That looks like a lot of rear positive camber.... :wtf:
Well there you go, I guess you've just found them a second right there. :)
It must be some kind of an optical illusion. But know knows, if MVR can put their tires the wrong way round...

tjaeger
tjaeger

tjaeger wrote:Is this the starter hole? Now rather a tube, sticking above the floor?

Sorry cannot manage to get the pic uploaded...
Follow the link.

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/bild ... 856&sort=1
You cannot engineer out stupidity.

tjaeger
tjaeger

I think there will not be any major changes anymore. How are they going to change on the car big portions like the side pods, now?
The current car still got all the attachment points for the current sidepods, as well to the floor. On top these appear to be made from one piece, rather than smaller elements, wherefore it must be almost impossible to exchange them.
If you look at the Ferrari the sidepods appear to be made from multiple smaller panels, instead of one big piece like on the Merc.

Unless this is still the test mule and they will retain the old attachment points, and holes in the chassis when attaching new ones, but building complete new chassis for Australia in the factory.

I think all they got left is front wing and some other smaller aero mods, prolly that is it.
You cannot engineer out stupidity.

volarchico
volarchico

So now that it's been pointed out that yesterday's sidepods ARE the new sidepods, I wonder if the "fit and finish" we've been complaining about here with the interface between sidepod and floor was a choice made on purpose? Maybe they chose not to put a smooth radius or fillet there for some reason...(not just lazy/shoddy craftsmanship).

bot6
bot6

This is definitely the new sidepods. Why would they make new sidepods just to change them again two days later?

And a new front wing is definitely coming. Don't know how different it will be though.

I am hoping for some kind of upgrade for the floor too, because that floor is just too simplistic around the rear wheel area for my taste. Look at the amount of detail there on the Ferrari, RB or even Torro Rosso... The solution on the Merc right now lacks refinement...

bot6
bot6

Still the old FW this morning, but the tiny stepped bargeboards seem new...

zgred

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Whats with the car in the background? Just a promo car?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

On the Bottom right hand corner of the picture Zgred kindly posted, there is a panel on the sidepod that finishes just under the S of Malaysia.
Still think there is somthing in the works, although its just a hunch and I'm probably wrong.

@ajdavidson

Yup its an old Honda display car in Merc livery.

POST EDIT:
Its the exhaust mod panel, looked a bit different on my laptop.....
More could have been done.
David Purley

kris
kris

Is the chess board pattern area before the exhaust an undercut behind the board?