Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Mercedes GP W02

To me Mercedes has not shown what is necessary in terms of creativity,desire and competence.I´m a bit speachless ,I have to confess.

Raptor22
Raptor22

I have to agree. Pretty disappointed with what I'm seeing thus far.

Nothing on the car that does not appear as obvious solutions.

Withtheir short floor I'd expect to see a more severe undercut beneath the side pods.
I'd expect more fluidity at the back.

Ok the new wings may give rise to the rest of the solutions so more waiting...

then again if it goes like stink then what the heck. I just want to see the famous Schumy dance of joy on the podium.

bot6
bot6

Blackout wrote:Image
Look at the horizontal foil across the plough, between the fins.

Probably serves a similar purpose to that nose splitter plough on the McLaren, splitting the flow that is heading for the underside of the car...

marcush.
marcush.

isn´t that horizontal foil just the carrier for the older type boards ?

The underside of the tub looks like a carryover from last year somewhat...doesn´t it with that semi single keel layout..

bot6
bot6

I think it used to have the dual splitter / carrier role and now it's just a splitter.

Giblet
Giblet

Moved off topic posts to the Mercedes 2011 thread.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

dren

It looks like a lot of the changes are all directed at forming and directing flow under and around the sidepods.
Honda!

Ferraripilot

dren wrote:It looks like a lot of the changes are all directed at forming and directing flow under and around the sidepods.

Right. And the big items (wings) have yet to make themselves known. We'll see if everything places nicely together.

atanatizante

Yesterday, Rosberg said in AMuS (http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 30306.html):
Rosberg seen things in relative terms: <I have been around the whole day with a lot of petrol in the tank and old tyres. Because only one part of the new components in the car was, nothing fitted. The package functions only as a unity. For this reason the lap times lies within the scope of the things. >” …
At the end of the test day Rosberg lost the engine cover.
http://www.f1today.nl/foto.php?file=12005
The reason was due to some overheating problems at the rear of the car, most likely the KERS unit …
Also, according to AMuS:
The Mercedes was new only half of the car. Front wings, rear wings and brake ducts were still absent. They come on Thursday in the car, maybe also only on Friday
So Michael`s today work was divided in two parts: in the morning he played with the setup of the car in order to confirm the data acquired by Rosberg and with a new solution regarding the overheating problems seen yesterday. In the afternoon he tried to acquire new data with the new bits of the car.
Tomorrow, fortunately, we will see some quick times, also because Saturday maybe could rain there …
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Interesting theories I have been reading up on regards the front wing for Mercedes.

It seems Red Bulls RB7 is displaying alot of flex aking to that of the RB6. Now some informed guys(on twitter+ a couple eagle eye readers on this site) have seen the Red Bull front wing has a fantastic amount of rake at speed. Witness these pictures here:
http://www.hlawiczka.com/pics/auta_2011.jpg

Mercedes may be looking at this, along with the rest of the paddock, and may trying to incorporate some of these properties into its own front wing.
My technical knowledge in terms of front wing aero is extremely limited, but I do know the closer it is to the ground the better it becomes.
It seems worrying Red Bull are still really the only team with a very visible flexing front wing.
Is it really that hard to make a wing flex and still fall withing regulations?
I cannot believe other teams arent looking at this have some of their own solutions.

Anyway, what Im reading form forums is that Mercedes may be looking at how the flex works with both 2 and 3 element designs before applying the solution. Hence why we are waiting so long to see the wing in its final iteration.
Lets wait and see....but it certainly an area they should be looking at if they arent already.
More could have been done.
David Purley

luca
luca

BARCELONA TEST - DAY TWO

Michael Schumacher was in action today at the Circuit de Catalunya as the final pre-season test continues. Michael had what he described as a “very productive day” as he got his first taste of some of the team’s upgrades for the opening race of the season.

- Michael spent the morning completing set-up work with longer runs towards the end of the session
- The afternoon saw shorter runs focusing on data collection in preparation for the final two days of the test
- Michael completed 89 laps, equal to 414 kms, today with a quickest lap time of 1:22.892
- The team has completed 5182 kms of pre-season running to date with two further test days remaining

Michael will continue the team’s programme tomorrow before Nico takes over for the final day on Saturday.

Michael Schumacher: “We’ve had a very productive day and completed a reasonable amount of mileage. We were able to check and confirm a lot of things on the set-up of the car with the new upgrade package, and my initial impressions are certainly positive. We’ve worked hard on reliability at the previous tests and our priority now is to develop and fine-tune the car which we have done quite successfully today.”
Source: http://www.mercedes-gp.com/

Ferraripilot

The wings tomorrow will start to open up what the car is capable of. I can't see them not installing a full length middle rear wing and a front wing similar to what RB employs. I wonder if they have the flexing figured out yet

Pierce89

Ferraripilot wrote:The wings tomorrow will start to open up what the car is capable of. I can't see them not installing a full length middle rear wing and a front wing similar to what RB employs. I wonder if they have the flexing figured out yet
I think the front wing will be more in line with the Ferrari(not as complex LOOKING as the other cars but still quite effective). What do you mean by full length middle rear wing? Do you mean a beam wing not cut out or attached in the middle?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Ferraripilot

Pierce89 wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:The wings tomorrow will start to open up what the car is capable of. I can't see them not installing a full length middle rear wing and a front wing similar to what RB employs. I wonder if they have the flexing figured out yet
I think the front wing will be more in line with the Ferrari(not as complex LOOKING as the other cars but still quite effective). What do you mean by full length middle rear wing? Do you mean a beam wing not cut out or attached in the middle?

Right, the beam wing. I temporarily forgot the name of the thing.

As far as the front wing I agree. Simple yet effective. Just make it not stall with high speed turn in plz.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Interesting theories I have been reading up on regards the front wing for Mercedes.

It seems Red Bulls RB7 is displaying alot of flex aking to that of the RB6. Now some informed guys(on twitter+ a couple eagle eye readers on this site) have seen the Red Bull front wing has a fantastic amount of rake at speed. Witness these pictures here:
http://www.hlawiczka.com/pics/auta_2011.jpg

Mercedes may be looking at this, along with the rest of the paddock, and may trying to incorporate some of these properties into its own front wing.
My technical knowledge in terms of front wing aero is extremely limited, but I do know the closer it is to the ground the better it becomes.
It seems worrying Red Bull are still really the only team with a very visible flexing front wing.
Is it really that hard to make a wing flex and still fall withing regulations?
I cannot believe other teams arent looking at this have some of their own solutions.

Anyway, what Im reading form forums is that Mercedes may be looking at how the flex works with both 2 and 3 element designs before applying the solution. Hence why we are waiting so long to see the wing in its final iteration.
Lets wait and see....but it certainly an area they should be looking at if they arent already.

I am wondering if it is the mounting of the nosecone that causes that rake....if the wing itself has to pass some static deflection test maybe thats a way to get around that?