Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mercedes GP W02

I think it has more to do with suspension settings than flexing. Although the wings do flex some.
Honda!

zgred

dren

It looks like the pannel under the Malaysia and before the exhaust can and may be removed.
Honda!

luca
luca

[...]
The parts - which include a new front wing, revised brake ducts and improved bargeboards - have delivered good results in full-scale windtunnel tests that the team has conducted so far.

The upgrade package is scheduled to arrive at Barcelona on Thursday night and will be evaluated by Michael Schumacher for the first time on Friday. The team has already tried out a new exhaust system, floor and turning vanes so far this week.
[...]
[Brawn said:]
"The car is doing what we expected it to do, yes. It is doing exactly what we expected - the lap times and the aero performance are where we are – but what you never know is what other people have achieved.

"What you know is what you have achieved, and the car is behaving and performing in line with exactly what we expected. We look at the aerodynamic numbers and what we see in the windtunnel, and they are what we expect to see.
[...]
Full article here: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89859
Last edited by luca on 10 Mar 2011, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

dren

The big thing to note here is the updates are doing what the team expected them to do on the track. This wasn't the case a lot of the time last year.
Honda!

Ferraripilot

dren wrote:The big thing to note here is the updates are doing what the team expected them to do on the track. This wasn't the case a lot of the time last year.

Along with the struggle for correct setup in general.

I didn't read anything about a rear wing coming on as well. Anyone know if that is confirmed? Or what we have now is it.

Byronrhys

I think the rear wing end plates will change and maybe employ the extended diffuser of the 26 and the C30.

conni
conni

heard today that they failed the side impact test and wrecked a chassis

conni

JohnsonsEvilTwin

RacingManiac wrote: I am wondering if it is the mounting of the nosecone that causes that rake....if the wing itself has to pass some static deflection test maybe thats a way to get around that?
There is somthing going on to make their wing bend/twist forward bring the bottom of the wing closer to the ground.

The W02 pylons that connect to the front wing to the car dont look a condusive enough design to be able to allow the sort of flex Red Bull are achieving.
I reckon by getting this right, you can reap greater rewards than the endless refining we keep seeing on the elements etc.

Its something the RB7 is doing no other car is, its something the RB6 was doing that only ferrari came close to copying....the 2 fastest car at the end of 2010.

I will peruse the internet tommorow and check for some good angles of the front wing and post any findings.
More could have been done.
David Purley

dren

Ferraripilot wrote:
dren wrote:The big thing to note here is the updates are doing what the team expected them to do on the track. This wasn't the case a lot of the time last year.

Along with the struggle for correct setup in general.

I didn't read anything about a rear wing coming on as well. Anyone know if that is confirmed? Or what we have now is it.
I am guessing the rear wing is it for now since they have upgraded it once already. I'm curious if the beam wing will change.
Honda!

Byronrhys

conni wrote:heard today that they failed the side impact test and wrecked a chassis

conni
If this is true it makes me wonder if what they are running is what they want to run, is it the exposed crash structure that is impeding them or is it that what we are seeing is a compromise for right now.

Undead_Mud

@zgred: Would be nice if they really had the speculated undercut running today. I sure hope so, but I don't see why they would test without it first.... if this panel is sitting there waiting to be removed.

If they are less than 0.2-0.3 behind Ferrari on Saturday I'm quite positive about their season. Not aiming for the title but able to win occasionally.
Due to their development strategy with only 1-2 days testing in full racing spec, they probably still have some pace to find setupwise after the Barcelona test. (McLaren with their reliability issues and their unconventional approach as well)
After all they did have a lot of new stuff on the car.
As next year's rules are the same as 2011 as far as I know (Tires maybe more durable), this is a good start for next year.

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

conni wrote:heard today that they failed the side impact test and wrecked a chassis

conni
If that is correct and it was fairly recently then they must be in crisis mode. The sidepod between the new (smart) radiator inlets and new (interesting) exhaust is very low tech and old fashioned. Seems to indicate they really have difficulties in that area.

Raptor22
Raptor22

Failed a crash test? On a new chassis? I think this is old news as it happened nealry two weeks ago.

JB2011
JB2011

Well, it seems the upgrade is working rather well.