Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Mercedes GP W02

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Lovely shot of the W02 on full lock with Schumacher at the wheel.
That's the answer why they ran old bits and pieces on the car @ Saturday.

bot6
bot6

more details Timbo?

Mandrake
Mandrake

I think he means that due to the danger of crashing the car it'd be better to wreck old parts then, rather than destroy parts needed for the race in Australia ;)

shelly
shelly

Agree with mandrake
twitter: @armchair_aero

timbo
timbo

Mandrake wrote:I think he means that due to the danger of crashing the car it'd be better to wreck old parts then, rather than destroy parts needed for the race in Australia ;)
Exactly.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

They could build more before then, and they'll be building spares anyway.

It's mainly down to the fact aero work in the rain is mostly irrelevant.

shelly
shelly

I think that merc short wheelbase and exhaust positioning are correlated.

Part of this has been discussed before: they seem to use exhaust flow in order to have a steeper coke bottle slope and make their fatter, but shorter side pods work.

I think this has partly already been discussed in previous posts, with different opinions, but I think a recap on this could be useful.

What do you think?

timbo
timbo

Diesel wrote:They could build more before then, and they'll be building spares anyway.

You would want to have another one at the race, don't you think?
And with logistics of not having separate testing team and chassis and moving everything to Australia, you really don't want to brake wing you can use in Melbourne.

ringo

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Ringo

I disagree. The car is unique in a few ways, firstly its the shortest car on the grid. So whatever makes it work is done so using this philosophy which no one else has actually attempted. It would take more than a shortened wheelbase to attempt to match what Mercedes have. You will be well aware of the implications involved with weight transfer and aero configuration changes, it would be tantamount to a new car.

Secondly you have the front wing, 2 elements with a slot. Who else has this? It will be more than just cope and graft, and there is a very big IF here that mercedes are front runners. I naturally hope they are but no way can any one say for certain the w02 is a winner just yet.
Their short wheel base doesn't say much for down-force. Maybe some handling positives. But anything else they do can be matched. I wasn't surprised that they found their way to the top .. for now.

The front wing can be copied, but i don't think it's much of a difference to what they had earlier; it's not a must have for other teams. The exhaust and side pods may be giving most of the improvement in lap time.

Their exhaust solution is good, i think it's in fact equal with the redbull's.
That itself may be on the copying list of most teams.

The nature of the regs make it easy for teams to be 1 upping each other as the season progresses.

The only limitation is the quality of the engineers and resources. These cars are all very very similar.

I hope Nico can win in this car before merc gets pulled back into fourth or fifth.
I think williams and torro rosso are a big threat.
Williams is putting in respectable times without kers.
For Sure!!

Mandrake
Mandrake

ringo wrote:Their exhaust solution is good, i think it's in fact equal with the redbull's.
That itself may be on the copying list of most teams.
I find that quite interesting because just judging from the looks, the Merc Exhaust solution is one of the simplest.

McLaren have gone for some complex u-bends, Renault have the FEE, Ferrari and RedBull are cutting their floor to blow the diffuser.....mercedes just has a simple exhaust.

What I like best about the car is that it doesn't have anything spectacular but seems to work perfectly fine. Funky exhaust? - No! Super complex Front wing? - No! Megatight Sidepods with impressive CokeBottle shape? - Not really! And still people have come to say the car could be Top3 material :)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Mercedes know there is more to come from the exhaust side of things. So what you are seeing at the moment is a good exhaust design, but one that is in fact compromised by some cooling issues as pointed out by a poster earlier.

I think this has a lot to do with the W02's short wheelbase, and how alot of the car is designed to encompass that. As time goes on, we will definatley see more complex solutions from Mercedes.
More could have been done.
David Purley

shelly
shelly

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Mercedes know there is more to come from the exhaust side of things. So what you are seeing at the moment is a good exhaust design, but one that is in fact compromised by some cooling issues as pointed out by a poster earlier.

I think this has a lot to do with the W02's short wheelbase, and how alot of the car is designed to encompass that. As time goes on, we will definatley see more complex solutions from Mercedes.

Agree with this (see my previous post). I think merc exhaust aims to reproduce a blown flap effect on the side of the sidepod, allowing a steeper closing towards the gearbox.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

timbo wrote:
Diesel wrote:They could build more before then, and they'll be building spares anyway.

You would want to have another one at the race, don't you think?
And with logistics of not having separate testing team and chassis and moving everything to Australia, you really don't want to brake wing you can use in Melbourne.
I would expect them to 3-4 at the race, they've got enough time to build them.

Your probably thinking back to Red Bull at Silverstone when Vettel broke his new wing, they only had the one on Webber's car so they swapped it. This sort of thing only happens mid-season as part of the development race, parts get shipped to races as soon as they are built, this can literally be Thursday night before FP1.

timbo
timbo

Diesel wrote:Your probably thinking back to Red Bull at Silverstone when Vettel broke his new wing, they only had the one on Webber's car so they swapped it. This sort of thing only happens mid-season as part of the development race, parts get shipped to races as soon as they are built, this can literally be Thursday night before FP1.
Problem is, they are manufactured in England and the race is in Australia. Not as easy shipping. Besides, they only had all the parts @ Thursday or even Friday. They are fresh out of production with very little overhead.

bot6
bot6

I think the main reason the two drivers were using the old wing was that both seem to prefer it to the new one. Schumi, for one, said as much.