Is McLaren really off the pace?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
myurr
myurr

Re: Is McLaren really off the pace?

And if you need further proof of the optical illusion, just look at the Vodafone logo on the left side of the front wing. It looks as if the upper element is closer to horizontal than the middle element, which as we all know is impossible.

raymondu999

Actually, on that note, are there rules forbidding such an asymmetrical FW setup? It could provide beneficial maybe in some circuits no? Or I could also be talking absolute rubbish.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CHT
CHT

speedsense wrote: Image
Due to the limited track time available, I am not surprise Mclaren might be trying to run 2 different aero setting. Beside the front wing looking different(at least to me), the blade on the side pod are also tilted at different angle, and there is also an additional blade sticking out of the left side of engine cover (right next to the air hole)

raymondu999

Or it could be a chronic case of parallax displacement. See previous page for imightbewrong's drawing with perspective lines etc.

Re the black winglet on the left of the airbox, I believe that there is a camera there too. We can sometimes see that angle on the camera. F1.com's onboard lap of Vettel in Bahrain is using that view. It IS asymmetrical.
Last edited by raymondu999 on 15 Mar 2011, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

gibells
gibells

@imightbewrong

I'm going to say your study of the front wings is inconslusive. The two lines you've drawn are parallel to each other, but just ever so slightly out of parallel to the leading edge. Conslusion: Nothing proven.

With regards to the diffuser, you've taken liberties in extrapolating lines from shots taken on different angles (and gotten them wrong). Also, on the left hand side, there is no evidence of the bottom edge of the inner left vane seen through the rear wing end plate openings. Based on your green lines you should see that. Conclusion- nothing shown to disprove the statement that there are no vanes on the left hand side of the diffuser.

One more thing guys. I'm increasingly seeing this site littered with personal snipes taken toward people with different opinions to your own. Lets all man up and learn from each other. Especially from someone clearly used to working in assymetry.

raymondu999

I think imightbewrong isn't chaisng a paralell-to-leading-edge line, but he traces a line through the trailing edge. Parallax would also mean this could be unparallel to the leading edge
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

gibells wrote:@imightbewrong

I'm going to say your study of the front wings is inconslusive. The two lines you've drawn are parallel to each other, but just ever so slightly out of parallel to the leading edge. Conslusion: Nothing proven.

With regards to the diffuser, you've taken liberties in extrapolating lines from shots taken on different angles (and gotten them wrong). Also, on the left hand side, there is no evidence of the bottom edge of the inner left vane seen through the rear wing end plate openings. Based on your green lines you should see that. Conclusion- nothing shown to disprove the statement that there are no vanes on the left hand side of the diffuser.

One more thing guys. I'm increasingly seeing this site littered with personal snipes taken toward people with different opinions to your own. Lets all man up and learn from each other. Especially from someone clearly used to working in assymetry.
I agree, you can't see the second vane and it is because the end plate is covering it, I just drew an approximate line to where it would be.

But I give up, go ahead and believe it is asymmetrical. Just trying to help out.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

imightbewrong wrote: But I give up, go ahead and believe it is asymmetrical. Just trying to help out.
There are people on this forum who are continually looking for the weird and wonderful. You only have to look back at the leading edge exhaust issue. People were looking at any shadow on any car and saying "forward exhaust".

It's a bit sad really... :cry:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

myurr
myurr

Here's a zoomed and enhanced image of the diffuser where you can clearly see one strake. I've filled in where I think the other is, just obscured by the rear wing.

Hopefully we can agree now that they're not running an asymmetrical diffuser.

myurr
myurr

And here's a few more lines on that front wing, that in my view shows there is no difference in the angle of attack on each half of the wing:

* Thanks to imightbewrong for the inspiration.

gibells
gibells

myurr wrote:Here's a zoomed and enhanced image of the diffuser where you can clearly see one strake. I've filled in where I think the other is, just obscured by the rear wing.

Hopefully we can agree now that they're not running an asymmetrical diffuser.
Myurr- We live in 3D. Where are the bottom edges of the vanes?

myurr
myurr

@gibells - errr.... not sure what you mean.
Last edited by myurr on 15 Mar 2011, 11:43, edited 2 times in total.

gibells
gibells

myurr wrote:@gibells - errr.... not sure what you mean.
Sorry, don't know how to draw on pictures. The vane's edge that faces the road. You'd be able to see it through the openings in the rear wing end plates. Especially the inner one as it's twice as deep.

myurr
myurr

I think I know what you're getting at. The photo is from an almost perfectly end on angle in respect to the angle of the vanes in the visible picture. All you're able to see is the 2d trailing edge of the vane, with it's own thickness obscuring it's three dimensional self.

Unless you have another explanation to what we can clearly see in the picture...

vall
vall

Alonso does not think so......