Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Goran2812
Goran2812

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

and again and again and again... quick on short 5 or so lap stints... everyone is quick on 5 lap stints! LOL
did they even try to do a race simulation?! :D
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

bot6
bot6

All the cars are doing mostly short stints at the moment, because they are working on setup. It says nothing about the wear of the tires or about the amount of fuel on board, which is what has an influence on the lap time.
Brawn did say however that they do most of their setup work on a half full tank.

marcush.
marcush.

the bull stops when the flag drops...they have done enough to prove they will not be dropping down the pecking order compared to 2010.
If they had trouble ,why would they try to look better than they are now ...and not starting the testing with a light car being right at the front from day one and only dropping back in the last days when all others start to show their pace...for those who still hope Mercedes will struggle... there is still hope...it´s still a long way till we need to seriously consider buying a firesuit for X.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

There are some quotes of Alonso and Vettel calling Schumachers laptime "impressive". In fact Alonso did go further to suggest mercedes may actually be one of the favourites.
What we can see, is the tangible difference the updates have made to the car.

Some people will cite the changes being very small, but then to expect a reinvented wheel every season is unreasonable. We have the team progressing, and we can see the car has speed and is consitent on it tyres.
And yet this is still not enough.

I wonder if the team was to win a race, would they be labelled "cheats"?
More could have been done.
David Purley

bot6
bot6

marcush. wrote:the bull stops when the flag drops...they have done enough to prove they will not be dropping down the pecking order compared to 2010.
If they had trouble ,why would they try to look better than they are now ...and not starting the testing with a light car being right at the front from day one and only dropping back in the last days when all others start to show their pace...for those who still hope Mercedes will struggle... there is still hope...it´s still a long way till we need to seriously consider buying a firesuit for X.
Well, if you hope Mercedes will struggle, that shows something I guess.

See, I understand wanting your team to do well, and if you're a Red Bull fan, then good on you for being optimistic about their 2011 results.

But hoping another team will fail? That's just bad sportsmanship. And Frankly, with all the good staff and skill Red Bull has, I doubt they need bad sportsmanship on top of that to succeed.

I guess it's a hard reality of competition that someone will come first and someone will come last, but I don't wish failure on anybody.

JET -> to be fair to Alonso, he has been saying from the start that Merc would be closer to the top this season, and that Schumi would be in the race this year... He's being consistent, and Merc are in the process of proving him right apparently...

marcush.
marcush.

some people here seem to hope so (failing that is).for sure not me :mrgreen:
I eagerly await to see not that finger on top of the rostrum but that famous jump,even if Schumi is impossible when he is winning .... :wtf let´s see if i can stand that...
they look in good shape .

bot6
bot6

Sorry mate, must have misread you then...

luca
luca

alvinkhorfire
alvinkhorfire

^
Yes, that is one good news. =D> In this world, there is only one Michael Schumacher. Yes, he is the one and only 7-time world champion. I hope that he can keep on racing in F1 while being as competitive as ever. [-o<

Morteza

Post-Testing Drivers Q&A(From Mercedes GP Official Website )

Michael Shcumacher

What's your verdict on the team’s winter testing programme?

My feeling is a good one. The team has been working very hard over the winter to shape our car in all of the areas which had been identified by us as needing improvement. The data I have seen over the winter had been quite encouraging, but then we all know that the realities of data and the race track can be quite different. As a driver, you obviously hope for a good step forward and I think this is what we have achieved. I am confident that we can compete for podium finishes, and I am hopeful we can fight for victories at some of the races. Saying that, we will only see the truth once the season gets underway, so I can hardly wait to go to Melbourne to finally see what the real picture is.

The trend during the winter has been positive from a difficult start to a good upgrade in Barcelona. Can you continue the same way?

Well, I can definitely try and I certainly will. As I said, it is difficult to predict, but I am happy with all the work that we have conducted so far.

This is year two of your comeback: how different does it feel to 12 months ago?

This year feels very different indeed. Last year everything was new again; the testing situation, the car, the team, the structures. It was very exciting but it was still something you had to find your way through. Now, one year later, I know much better which areas to work in. I am much more familiar with the team and we have a great group of very skilled and dedicated people. I enjoy what I do, I enjoy working with Mercedes, and I have never regretted my decision to return… if that is what you wanted to ask next!

You've completed thousands of kilometres with the new systems like KERS and RFA on the car. What impact will they have on the racing?

From what I have seen so far, these systems can have an impact, but just not to the extent that you push a button and overtake easily. You still have to be in the right position and have to catch the right moment to find an advantage out of the new possibilities. Only during the races will we be able to understand fully if they work to our complete understanding and satisfaction.

How much have you had to change to adapt to the Pirelli tyres, and what will be the key to getting the most out of them in race conditions?

The tyres are the same for everyone, and I am sure we will all get along with them. Of course, being drivers as sensitive as Formula One drivers are, we feel the differences, but this is what is exciting about the change and we are trained to cope with them. The key in my view is finding the right strategy to make the tyres work to their maximum.

Nico Rosberg

You said that the latest update to the MGP W02 will be an impressive performance gain. How did the car feel compared to earlier in the winter?

We’ve made good progress over the four tests. It’s perhaps been a more difficult winter than we expected but everyone has worked really hard and pushed on with the new upgrades so that we have the car that we want for the start of the season. We haven’t got the fastest car yet but we are going in the right direction. The handling is better, the car has more grip, and is generally more fun to drive.

Is this the car that can bring you your first win?

I hope so! We are certainly looking much better this year and our main target is to improve on our performances from last year. We have a good platform to do that.

How challenging has it been to master the new systems on the car?

We understand the Pirelli tyres well now, both over race distances and shorter qualifying runs, and had the opportunity to try them out in the wet on the last day in Barcelona. KERS took some getting used to: it was a completely new system for the team, and also for me as a driver. The trickiest thing from a driving point of view is under braking, because the amount of energy you try to harvest can really affect the balance of the car. The adjustable rear wing is actually fairly straightforward to operate and should bring an extra interest to the races.

Will the driver have a bigger strategic role to play and are you looking forward to that?

Yes, definitely. The strategy is going to be really interesting this year and, thanks to Pirelli, we will have some very exciting races, so I’m really looking forward to seeing how it works out. As a driver, you always want to be more involved in the race, so that should be good.

What do you think will be the biggest surprise for the fans at the first race in Melbourne?

It’s always difficult to predict who is on top from the testing times but I think there will be a real battle in Melbourne. The race strategy is going to be fascinating and the number of pit stops should make it really exciting for the fans.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

horse

bot6 wrote:Renault took a while but ended up with solid results on a relatively modest budget, right? Things did go a bit awry after that, sure, but the results with Alonso are still impressive...

And to add another common trait, Bob Bell, who was there for the Renault climb, is now there for the Merc attempt at the same thing.

So why say Merc is doomed to fail or wants an out? Especially when they just bought the rest of the shares from Brawn? Renault has proven it can be done. Bob Bell has seen how it was done from the inside, and can now help steer things in the right direction.
I think Ross Brawn has proven capable of producing a fine car on an unlimited budget. Both with Ferrari and Honda, he put their financial muscle to to good use, which is certainly a skill.

To me, he's yet to prove he's capable of being competitive on a restricted budget, which, it would appear, Renault have proved quite capable of doing. If Bob Bell knows how to do it, then is Ross Brawn still useful?

I wonder if it's a bit like football managers - some are good at flashing the cash and forming a great team while others are great man motivators and can get lesser players to up their performance. Often, if these type of managers find themselves on the other side of the coin, then they struggle to get the results they are accustomed to.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

bot6
bot6

Truth is, money does not guarantee success but it helps. And Mercedes are not putting a lot of cash into the team. It would be interesting to compare the Merc budget with that of Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull... Anyone know where to find those figures?

marcush.
marcush.

there is fire under the roof of MGP, rest assured.
Brawn ,Norbert and other guys surely have received a cold headwind this morning if not earlier.
There is no debating ,the W02 is not enough to challenge RedBull,Mclaren and maybe nopt even Renault.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

horse wrote:
bot6 wrote:Renault took a while but ended up with solid results on a relatively modest budget, right? Things did go a bit awry after that, sure, but the results with Alonso are still impressive...

And to add another common trait, Bob Bell, who was there for the Renault climb, is now there for the Merc attempt at the same thing.

So why say Merc is doomed to fail or wants an out? Especially when they just bought the rest of the shares from Brawn? Renault has proven it can be done. Bob Bell has seen how it was done from the inside, and can now help steer things in the right direction.
I think Ross Brawn has proven capable of producing a fine car on an unlimited budget. Both with Ferrari and Honda, he put their financial muscle to to good use, which is certainly a skill.

To me, he's yet to prove he's capable of being competitive on a restricted budget, which, it would appear, Renault have proved quite capable of doing. If Bob Bell knows how to do it, then is Ross Brawn still useful?

I wonder if it's a bit like football managers - some are good at flashing the cash and forming a great team while others are great man motivators and can get lesser players to up their performance. Often, if these type of managers find themselves on the other side of the coin, then they struggle to get the results they are accustomed to.
What about when he was at Benetton?

horse

Gerhard Berger wrote:What about when he was at Benetton?
Yeah, fair play, I had forgotten his involvement with Benetton. I have read an article saying that they were racing on a budget 80% smaller than McLaren or Ferrari, although I suspect that might be exaggerated.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu