2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
FW17

Re: Formula One 1.6l turbo engine formula as of 2013

WilliamsF1 wrote:More crazy talk from BE
"I meet people worldwide in all different walks of life - sponsors, promoters and journalists and I think there are two things that are really important for Formula One," Ecclestone told AAP. "One is Ferrari and second is the noise. People love and get excited about the noise. People who have never been to a Formula One race, when they leave you ask them what (they liked) and they say 'the noise'.

F1 has become so shallow with little on track action that the Promoter now has only the noise of an F1 engine to talk about.

All the race organizers in various countries must be wondering if noise is the only attraction F1 brings for their $30 mill

machin

Its slightly ironic that the definition of "noise" is "unwanted sound"!!!! :lol:
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

FW17

F1 is about maximizing efficiency

If FIA regulations call only for a fuel diet and a free hand in technology a NA engine will get kicked by a TC engine without exception

Anyway BE comments were more at instigating a division within FOTA so he can take his 50% out of the sport.
He must be busy trying to broker another $100 mill deal with Ferrari as seen in 2004. Should be discussed more in the Concord thread

jenkF1

I think its also important for F1 to be the flagship of the road-car, and if roadcars are leaning towards smaller turbo charged engines than so should F1. The efficiency and technology of this new engines should win me over, even if the cars may sound like modified Subaru Imprezas!

Turbo whistle is also another benefit :)

Holm86

Personally i dont mind the small cc's and the turbos.
What irretates me very much is that the engines HAVE to be 4 cylinders. And not only does it have to be 4 cylinders they also HAVE to be inline. No V4 or B4.

But why cant it be 6 or 8 cylinders??? It isnt like technology developed for a V8 engine wont work in a L4 engine. So just because F1 needs to help develop technology to roadcars it doesnt mean they have to have same number of cylinders as most road cars.

ringo

Sayshina wrote: Ringo, during your refueling defense you made a comparison to fighter aircraft. You are in reality wrong there. A very large internal fuel load has historically been a deciding factor in air combat, and just a short list of examples off the top of my head would include the F-22, SU-27, F-14, F-15, F4, P-51 and P-38.
When was i talking about combat?
I am talking about range and fuel efficiency. And even in combat a lighter plane is a more agile plane. A large internal fuel load is a decider in what way?
explain that because if you have 2 F15 battling it out and 1 has half the fuel load, it will be more agile and be able to climb faster.

Combat pilots are trained to think in terms of energy. If one plane is at a higher elevation, he has more energy. If he has more fuel in the tank, he has more energy. You have to remember that empty tankage has very little mass for its volume, that a relatively large increase in total volume only requires a small increase in frontal area, and that both your speed and your agility are realistically dependant on your available fuel.
Energy in what sense?
More energy doesn't mean more fuel efficient. Any vehicle that refuels insteading of hauling a large mass of fuel for whatever purpose, will be lighter, smaller and have better performance.
You are talking as if if refueling returns the teams will keep the same huge 250kg tanks. They wont.
If an fighter plane can make do with a small fuel tank and take 3 refuling stops in mid air. I don't see the need to have a tank 3 times the size on the aircraft.

You don't see this directly in F1 because of the structure of the format, but you can find clear examples in other formats. From Nascar to Indy to 24hr endurance, anywhere you require multiple fuel stops they are forced to also require a maximum onboard fuel capacity. The original Audi deisel certainly have a number of advantages over its rivals, but one of the greatest was its ability to go a couple of extra laps between every stop.
We don't see whatever you are talking about in F1 or in street vehicels becuase what you are saying is not reality. Refueling is the cheapest most effective way to improve fuel efficiency. Not only that, but the cars can be pushed to the limit for the whole race.

I honestly was not aware there was such a thing as a fan of refueling. To my mind it's fundamentally anti-racing, as are mandatory tire stops, mandatory compound changes, grooved tires, ect. They're all examples of what happens when lawyers get to make technical decisions.
For drivers to push all out is anti racing. I want to see the rule changes make it mandatory to fuel the car once for the whole weekend and see how you like your racing. :lol:

Someone here argued that refueling was banned in order to promote efficiency, which runs counter to the way I remember things going. Refueling was introduced, almost imediatly banned (and rightfully so), reintroduced because they thought it would "spice up the show" and later banned when it failed miserably to spice up the show, because they hoped that banning it would "spice up the show".
Exactly no refueling is boring.
Meh, refueling is crap. All it's done for F1 is put drivers into waiting patterns, hoping they can "pass" the car in front of them in the pits so they won't have to take chances doing it on the track. Anything that takes the drivers destiny out of his own hands sucks.

I don't see it like that. Passing in the pits was exciting. I want both passing in the pits and in the race. Passing in the pits gets the viewers more involved and interested in lap times. Lap times mean nothing now without refueling
For Sure!!

Goran2812
Goran2812

Bernie against 1.6L turbos

The link

So... could this be a way to keep the 2.4L configuration???
If he continues to give pressure, the plan could be abandoned?
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Tamburello
Tamburello

Re: Bernie against 1.6L turbos

He's just sour over the fact that he didn't switch to 1.6L turbos earlier with Brabham when he could have won more championships by doing so...

WhiteBlue

Bernie making noises about the turbo engine is a thinly veiled attempt to split FOTA and FiA ahead of the 2013 Concord talks. He obviously hopes to curry favour witbn Ferrari who lost the debate over bigger engines with more cylinders. It is nothing new that Bernie always uses such divisionary tactics. They are best being ignored.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

astracrazy
astracrazy

i agree with him if I'm honest about the noise. they will have to sound basically the same.

no matter how many times you've been, when you hear that first car coming towards you in the distance, then roaring past you and the popping as it drops down the gears. sends shivers up my spine every time. its nothing like how the tv sounds

formula 1 needs that

but it should be possible, gp2 rev to 10000 rpm and sound great and these are going to be 12000?

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

From Wikipedia
Engine Displacement: Mecachrome Built Renault 4.0 L (4,000 cc) (245 in³) DOHC V8.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

For once I agree with Bernie. The use of little turbo engines is not what F1 is about. Noise and fury is good. Economy and road relevance are not.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

donskar
donskar

IIRC, this is a first: I agree with Bernie --

"I'm anti, anti, anti, anti moving into this small turbo four formula. We don't need it and if it's so important it's the sort of thing that should be in saloon car racing. The rest of it is basically PR - it's nothing in the world to do with Formula 1. These changes are going to be terribly costly to the sport. . . ."
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

halllo_fireball
halllo_fireball

The 4 cyl engine formula doesn't make any sense at all. If somebody really wants F1 to become greenish, than the only way would be 3 cyl turbo engines, as these will be very important for cars in near future. Certainly, it would be very challenging to develop such an engine, as well as the chassis (because of the vibrations). But real life automotive engineering could get a useful input from there. Besides, it would make an interesting noise.
The less ambitious alternative would be 5 cyl turbo engines, just because of the sound.

CHT
CHT

lets go back to V12..period.