Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
shelly
shelly

Re: Mercedes GP W02

IIRC 2009 brawn gp sported similar winglets on the rear brake duct
twitter: @armchair_aero

PlatinumZealot

They had them on the back of trhe duct fore sure. The front of the duct now... you will have to get some pics..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

tjaeger
tjaeger

bot6 wrote:No, don't really know what you mean... Mind posting a picture or diagram, so we're sure we're all talking about the same thing?
Yeah I saw pics of the Ferrari running it in one version. There was a pic in the F150 chat. As well there is a link to a chez newspaper F1 block on Ferrari that shows it very well.
You cannot engineer out stupidity.

shelly
shelly

atanatizante wrote: Many cars have a vertical flap placed on each side of the floor edge, most of them in the sidepod area
I think it acts as a gurney for the flow which is going outside, from the teatray around the sidepods. It adds pressure on the upper part of the floor and it also produces a small vortex which is useful for the lower part of the floor
twitter: @armchair_aero

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

http://www.f1today.nl/foto.php?file=12090

I still believe that we`ll see an undercut. The lower sidepod section seems to be incompleted, the painted cover in the first half of the sidepod isn`t really necessary, the exhaust is poorly integrated into bodywork. My suggestion is: They evaluated their data and found out that there was no delta between data and test results. They still hide some stuff cause they know it will work anyway. Anyone down to this?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

ForMuLaOne wrote:http://www.f1today.nl/foto.php?file=12090

I still believe that we`ll see an undercut. The lower sidepod section seems to be incompleted, the painted cover in the first half of the sidepod isn`t really necessary, the exhaust is poorly integrated into bodywork. My suggestion is: They evaluated their data and found out that there was no delta between data and test results. They still hide some stuff cause they know it will work anyway. Anyone down to this?
You'll be disappointed then.

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

Diesel wrote:
ForMuLaOne wrote:http://www.f1today.nl/foto.php?file=12090

You'll be disappointed then.

Why?

twoshots
twoshots

Because that's how it will look in Melbourne.

Ferraripilot

twoshots wrote:Because that's how it will look in Melbourne.

Yup I believe that is it for a while regarding the sidepods. They put more stuff on that car than anyone practically combined since testing. I sort of doubt they have anything hiding in the woodworks for now. Maybe once the Mark III packaging is ready come half a dozen races or so.

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

Actually i don`t have the feeling that it will be EXACTLY like that. There will be some changes. I mean they mount some coloured shields to cover an already existing structure( The lower sidepod section, first half of it) What would be the sense of it? Why wouldn`t they try to create smooth transitions at the exhaust exits? My opinion is that technically it IS the version, but they might refine it until melbourne. Maybe no undercut, but a different version of what is there.

Ferraripilot

What was going on with the rear wing the day Nico was doing flying qualy laps after Schu set his time? I am hearing the adjustable rear wing broke when Nico was on a hot flyer? Any truth to this? I know Nico ran hot qualy laps all through the remainder of the day once Schu was done.

Giblet
Giblet

General discussion about floors moved here.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Ferraripilot

Scarbs made a update regarding MB's exhaust and I am a little confused on something.

Is MB's new exhaust as efficient as Renault's and Red Bull's or no? The confusion is brought about by Scarbs essentially stating that MB's system loses energy somehow. Contrary to this I see Renault's system losing efficiency as it exits all the way front and then travels along the sidepods and some of the exhaust is mixed into the rear tire wash as opposed to MB which essentially shoots straight back. Am I missing something? Or is Renault's forward exhaust essentially supercharging with the mix of air while traveling along the sidepods making it more superior?

dren

I believe the Mercedes design is ideal for their short wheel base. They seem to be using the exhaust differently than Red Bull and Ferrari who are directly blowing the outer diffuser. I do not see why Mercedes would not be able to do this. If they end up copying it later in the season, we'll then know for sure their current set-up is not ideal for them.
Honda!

Ferraripilot

Looking forward to see which front wing they pull out for practice. I think they will work to setup the new front wing a bit more.