2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Pandamasque

Re: Bernie against 1.6L turbos

Give the teams the amount of fuel per race and let them decide whether to use a turbo i4, a supercharged V8, V12, a 4-rotor or a shockwave engine. Now that would be fun.
halllo_fireball wrote:The 4 cyl engine formula doesn't make any sense at all. If somebody really wants F1 to become greenish, than the only way would be....
Now that's the biggest error with the rule makers today. Now we have the only way on what engines are used, the only way the cars look, the only way the races are won from the strategy point of view etc etc etc.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Pandamasque wrote:Give the teams the amount of fuel per race and let them decide whether to use a turbo i4, a supercharged V8, V12, a 4-rotor or a shockwave engine. Now that would be fun.
THIS
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Sayshina
Sayshina

Re: Formula One 1.6l turbo engine formula as of 2013

First off, it's entirely apropriate for Ferrari to lobby for some other engine formula. Every manufacturer likes to pretend what he races really does find its way into your garage. Ferrari doesn't make a 4 cylinder, they clearly don't have any plans to make one any time soon, and they would rather race something like what they do make.

ringo wrote:
Sayshina wrote: Ringo, during your refueling defense you made a comparison to fighter aircraft. You are in reality wrong there. A very large internal fuel load has historically been a deciding factor in air combat, ...
When was i talking about combat?
I am talking about range and fuel efficiency. And even in combat a lighter plane is a more agile plane. A large internal fuel load is a decider in what way?
explain that because if you have 2 F15 battling it out and 1 has half the fuel load, it will be more agile and be able to climb faster.
You mentioned fighter planes, things that exist for combat and nothing else. I naturally assumed you meant combat. For the record, whenever you talk about racing cars I naturally assume you mean as they pertain to racing on a race track. If you are in fact discussing them in terms of their static display properties I would appreciate it if you would mention that, as it does impact the discussion.

If you're really interested in air combat, there exists a mountain of information on the subject. I suggest you look into it a little bit, as you'll quickly discover that some of your assumptions are, I am sorry, just plain wrong. This really isn't the right format, but I'll just throw a couple of bullet points out because, well, otherwise you'll just think I'm being a dick. Please do feel free to look up any of this, it's all available.

Large powerful, fast airplane with lots of fuel vs. small agile plane. We could look at the US F6F vs. the Zero, or the F4 Phantom vs. the Mig 21, or in training the F14 vs. the F16. History shows that yes, you are correct, the smaller agile plane usually can turn inside the big plane, and often though not always climb faster as well. Doesn't matter. The big plane does what's called a "boom and zoom". If he has an advantage, he flies in and shoots, if he doesn't he runs away and waits till he has an advantage.

The F4 Phantom was known by its pilots as "The Flying Brick". Does that sound like an agile plane to you? The Mig 21 was a deadly dogfighter, fantastically maneuverable, but with tiny tanks. F4 pilots were ordered under no circumstances to try to turn with a Mig. And yet history shows that the F4 swept those Migs out of the skies. It's a lot more complicated than this, and I really do hope you look it up for yourself, but in the end big and powerful beats small and agile.
Energy in what sense?
More energy doesn't mean more fuel efficient. Any vehicle that refuels insteading of hauling a large mass of fuel for whatever purpose, will be lighter, smaller and have better performance.
Energy. If you're at a higher elevation that's potential energy. If you're going faster that's kinetic energy, and if you have more fuel available that's potential energy again. You need to remember aircraft, and racing cars too for that matter, bleed off massive amounts of energy whenever they change vectors. That energy has to be replaced, and planes, unlike cars, do not have any efficient means of speeding back up. At full power a combat aircraft can burn through it's entire fuel load in seconds.
You are talking as if if refueling returns the teams will keep the same huge 250kg tanks. They wont.
It's not the tank that weighs 250kg, a huge empty tank weighs barely more than a tiny empty tank. The cars would use smaller tanks, but strictly for aero reasons, which is why I said it only applies to F1. In other formulae where most cars tend to have lots of spare internal volume anyway they also tend to use the maximum allowed fuel tank size. Why not? unused tank volume is basically free.
If an fighter plane can make do with a small fuel tank and take 3 refuling stops in mid air. I don't see the need to have a tank 3 times the size on the aircraft.
If your fighter has lots of internal fuel volume and I need to refuel to make it home you can kill me without ever even getting close to me. I can't refuel as long as you're anywhere nearby, so I have to chase you away, I have no choice. And every time I do, you can simply run away. I can't chase very far because remember, I don't have any fuel, and I can't refuel because you keep hanging around like my crazy ex. So I die.
We don't see whatever you are talking about in F1 or in street vehicels becuase what you are saying is not reality. Refueling is the cheapest most effective way to improve fuel efficiency. Not only that, but the cars can be pushed to the limit for the whole race.
If that were true Semi trucks would have no need for 300 gallons of tankage. In fact, taken to its logical conclusion we should all be driving 50cc fuel tank cars. After all, there's a fuel stop on nearly every block.
For drivers to push all out is anti racing. I want to see the rule changes make it mandatory to fuel the car once for the whole weekend and see how you like your racing. :lol:
I know that was your attempt at sarcasm, but honestly it wouldn't change much. You'd have slower qualifying, which the fans would cry about for a few weeks, and you'd have a lot less rubbering in, but that's about it. I suspect we're probably less than 20 years away from having exactly that.
Exactly no refueling is boring.
You seem to have missed my point, which was that it was introduced and banned for exactly the same reason, the organizers were attempting to artificially change the races.
I don't see it like that. Passing in the pits was exciting. I want both passing in the pits and in the race. Passing in the pits gets the viewers more involved and interested in lap times. Lap times mean nothing now without refueling
Well, you are of course entitled to your opinion, but you should know that a majority of fans when polled found refueling confusing and annoying. As far as "lap times mean nothing now" I guess that's the tradeoff. Under refueling track position meant nothing. You're a math guy, so perhaps it's not a surprise you'd like the minutia.

I'm a racer, and although I never had to deal with refueling I know catagorically I would have despised it. With the bikes I raced you did not ever go to the pits unless you were dying. A tire stop would mean your race was effectively over. So every pass had to happen out on track, which meant you had to do it. You had to line that guy up, pull the pass off, and make it stick.

Under refueling, we saw this happen over and over. Faster car catches slower car, and then does nothing. Statistically it's safer to wait for the pit stops and hope for the best. That's because passing involves risk by definition. It may not refuelings fault that it makes teams afraid of risk, but if you remove it you also remove 1 more way for teams to play it safe.

Refueling only ever existed for a tiny percentage of F1's history. You seem to be saying all that time, with Prost and Senna, Fangio and Moss, all that time with no refueling was crap racing. I suggest you look up some of those races.

zeph
zeph

How quickly we forget...

In the 80's teams had a choice to run 3.0 liter atmospheric engines or 1.5 liter turbo charged. The turbos got so powerful so quickly that the atmospherics simply could not keep up. Everybody switched to turbo power because it was better.

Turbos were outlawed because the power increases were insane. Brabham-BMW (Ecclestone's team, BTW) allegedly ran qualifying engines that would output 1300 BHP.

And nobody complained about the sound of the turbos back then... what a ridiculous thought. I think Ecclestone is just trying to generate some noise of his own due to the late start of the season.

Back then I felt it was a mistake to outlaw the turbos. I'm glad they'll be back.

edit:

BTW, I'm very much in favor of a fuel cap rather than engine restrictions. That would allow for creative solutions.

rjsa
rjsa

zeph wrote: Everybody switched to turbo power because it was better.
You can't say beter. You can say the rules, as they where back then, favored the Turbos.

The rule was old, had been there for a long time and Renault found a way to make it work. Just like Mercedes exploited a loop hole on the CART rules that allowed a lot of advantage for a pushrod valve train engine to win the Indy 500.

xpensive
xpensive

What MrE is afraid of is of course that his circus will loose its xclusivity, reducing it to a Wild West Show with donkeys.

And for once I think he's right, I don't even like the teeny V8s, but it's still xclusive to the majority of us.

What's a homologated 1.6 I-4 anyway, although mildly blown and on some artificial steroids?

Every housewife has one of those.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Pandamasque wrote:Give the teams the amount of fuel per race and let them decide whether to use a turbo i4, a supercharged V8, V12, a 4-rotor or a shockwave engine. Now that would be fun.
+2
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

xpensive
xpensive

MrE would have the four bangers any day of the week, if they were given without restrictions, the show his old team used to display was amazing. Remember Nelson at the old Österreichring with unlimited boost, an F1 car gone mad.

Formula None
Formula None

The only thing better than getting the V10 wail back, would be to accompany it with 2-stroke screamers, diesel baritones, big OHV V8 thunder, whooshing turboshafts, warbling rotaries, explosive anti-lag turbos with compressor surge chirps, a NASA supplied 2L sodium cooled beryllium V16 with a 30k RPM redline, some maniac with a pulse detonation engine blown diffuser and some eerily quiet series hybrids.

A symphony of all things motorsports, as it should be. You know, for science and stuff. Call it the Motorsport X-Prize.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

The ruling has been made now, but personally id rather have had this as the ruling:

* V6 configuration
* Allow engines to range from 82° to 102° in V angle
* Engines to have a spec fuel tank of 58 Litres
* All engines to have a spec fuel pump with spec flow rate of 0.915L a lap (per average 60 lap race)
* Engine minimum weight 70KG
* Futher restriction om materials used
* Engines restricted to 6 per year, and must be used consecutivly, no more engines for FP and a change for Quali and Race Means some early season races could see 5 races for an engine. For first season only, second season will see engines reduced to 5 per year per car.
* Engines to have standardised and homologated engine mounts (to chassis and gearboxes) accross all engine makers so smaller teams can test engines pre and post season if they want a change in engine manufacturer.
* Engines to be limited to 15000rpm for teams that can afford KERS & HERS, smaller teams can de-restrict their engine RPM if they want.
* KERS and KERS charge limited to 200hp
* KERS & HERS discharge to be limited to 25 seconds each lap
* KERS & HERS discharge can only be aloowed to be used for 10 laps in the race
* KERS & HERS can only be discharged for one lap at a time, no 2 consecutive laps, however no discharge for 5 consecutive laps will give a driver a lap of KERS power back.
* Transmissions will be limited to 3 per car per season
* Each Transmission will have to have its ratios locked in at start of each season, with only the adjustment of final drive alteration twice for each transmission.
* Gearboxes can be used concurrently.

Penalties:
* Engine:
- 10 place drop for a new one pre event
- 15 place drop for change on Friday
- pit lane start for saturday with pac ferme still enforced (unless car is destroyed in a shunt)
* Transmission
- 5 place drop for more final drive changes than alloted 2 and pre event change for a fresh transmission
- 10 place drop for final drive change on event
- Pit lane start for new transmission change

Sporting:
* Engines and transmissions should all be modular in design, so a change should take less than 1 hour.
* Constructors who make their own engines (Ferrari/Mercedes/Renault) all should only be allowed to supply one more team outside their works team for engines or transmissions
* Engine/Transmission only suppliers can supply as many independant constructors as they like.
* A complete powertrain supply should cost a independant team no more than €8m a season, so €3m for engines, €2.5m each for transmission and KERS/HERS supply.
* Teams that take part in technology transfer/alliances (for powertrain only) are allowed to have a Joker engine/gearbox change every season where they can have a free chnge penalty free.

Giblet
Giblet

Merged posts from an orphan 1.6 thread.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

WhiteBlue

I think you are missing the main point which I have mentioned. It is about money. Bernie desperately needs to split the teams in order to prevent them negotiating a bigger share of the FOM revenues. He will reinforce every controversy that he can find in the next few months. Just consider his comments about the number of teams needed. Hispania has already left FOTA. If he can get more minions to drop out of the organization Bernie will be happy.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/03/ ... are-rules/

If you don't believe me have a look at Joe's blog. He knows the politics of F1 inside out. The 2013 engines are a done deal. No sniping by Bernie and Ferrari will change that.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote: ...
If you don't believe me have a look at Joe's blog. He knows the politics of F1 inside out. The 2013 engines are a done deal. No sniping by Bernie and Ferrari will change that.
Ol' Joe Sewer is now an oracle? :shock:

noname
noname

WhiteBlue wrote:The 2013 engines are a done deal. No sniping by Bernie and Ferrari will change that.
If it would be done deal teams would not been "evaluating different options" for so long, and there would not be so much fear within OEMs rules could be changed or their introduction delayed.

And if we talk snipping Cosworth is the first guess. They will be out of F1 if they do not find teams ready to pay for developing new engine. So far it does not look good.

FW17

WhiteBlue wrote:I think you are missing the main point which I have mentioned. It is about money. Bernie desperately needs to split the teams in order to prevent them negotiating a bigger share of the FOM revenues. He will reinforce every controversy that he can find in the next few months. Just consider his comments about the number of teams needed. Hispania has already left FOTA. If he can get more minions to drop out of the organization Bernie will be happy.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/03/ ... are-rules/

I don't see this as only BE, Ferrari will do anything to get a larger share of the pie than the other teams