McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ianwit
ianwit

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

I presume the heat shielding is to prevent the exhaust from re-heating the engine and also to protect the composites from too much heat. I also assume that the gold shield is protecting the fuel tank.
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Larger version:
http://a.yfrog.com/img616/8522/padpx.jpg
Follow the cooling duct from under the roll hoop in this shot, where's that going?
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

ianwit
ianwit

Kers cooling.
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

kalinka
kalinka

Interesting sticker on the radiator's side :D

beelsebob
beelsebob

With none of the pipework there it's hard to tell, but there's a bump at the back of the side pod that wasn't there before, and a turning vein similar to red bull's behind it – could this be the new exhaust?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Actually I guess the KERS would be there this season.

EDIT: That bump would indicate a W02 style EBD.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

f1rules
f1rules

Just a question, there has been lots of discussion about mclarens L sidepod design. Ferrari and redbull have both choosen to exit the exhaust in the outer edges of the diffuser. Meaning they have to make a channel. Doesnt that offset a bit their design philosophy of making the rear as tight as possible. I dont say Mclaren is at the front at all. Its just theyve choosen to channel more clean air over the sidepods, in stead of around. To have an exhaust channel there, that cant be good when you are relying on chaneling the air around or ??

Still i expect the two mentioned teams to dominate,

raymondu999

I don't think it's quite getting the air around the sidepods, but getting clean air towards the beam wing, of which the exhaust is far below
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

vall
vall

ringo wrote:
* The only composite capable of acting as an exhaust are glass ceramic composites (GCC). These are not on the permitted materials list, with one exception.
Pyrosic is a glass ceramic composite.
* Using GCC as a heat sheild around exhausts is legal, as long as the exhaust itself is from permitted materials (typically inconnel)

* This is not a new issue, GCC material has been off the permitted list for some time
it is glass-ceramic matrix reinforced with silicon carbide or carbon fibers

Code: Select all

Advanced glass-ceramic matrix composites with user-friendly processing
PyroSic

After 10 years of development, Pyromeral Systems has introduced an entirely new generation of materials that finally brings the advantages of composites to the world of high temperatures. With this technology, it is now possible to design and manufacture lightweight composite parts used at high temperatures that not only provide an excellent level of thermo-mechanical performance, but also remain easy and affordable to produce.

These new composite materials, marketed under the PyroSic® and PyroKarb™ names, are based on proprietary glass-ceramic matrix systems reinforced with silicon carbide or carbon fibers. Thanks to the use of advanced inorganic polymers, they are processed at low temperatures with the same techniques and tooling as those used for conventional carbon-fiber reinforced plastics (CFRP). Yet, they also offer a much improved resistance to heat and fire, as they retain good mechanical properties at temperatures for which CFRP cannot even be considered (typically, up to 1000°C/1800°F).

vall
vall

Searching for PyroSic, I found those two acticles from August last year:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11008022772 ... wn-exhaust

http://en.wikinoticia.com/entertainment ... kers-blown

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

beelsebob wrote:With none of the pipework there it's hard to tell, but there's a bump at the back of the side pod that wasn't there before, and a turning vein similar to red bull's behind it – could this be the new exhaust?

If you look between the mechanics legs you can see what looks like the end of the exhaust pointing down under the floor.

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

bonjon1979 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:With none of the pipework there it's hard to tell, but there's a bump at the back of the side pod that wasn't there before, and a turning vein similar to red bull's behind it – could this be the new exhaust?

If you look between the mechanics legs you can see what looks like the end of the exhaust pointing down under the floor.
Isn't is kind of hard to see the end of the exhaust without it being connected to the engine ?

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

hollowBallistix wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:With none of the pipework there it's hard to tell, but there's a bump at the back of the side pod that wasn't there before, and a turning vein similar to red bull's behind it – could this be the new exhaust?

Isn't is kind of hard to see the end of the exhaust without it being connected to the engine ?
No. It looks to me like the exhaust from the engine will link to the black tube circled in red that will then feed out the back at the point you can see between the mechanics legs. It looks like mac have designed it this way so that if that black pipe and further ducting that may be made of 'exotic' materials is deemed to be part of the exhaust then they can remove shiny black pipe and have the exhaust coming out the sidepod and blow over the floor - hence why they've put all that heat shielding across the back. Just what I'm thinking, could be wrong.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

bonjon1979 wrote:
hollowBallistix wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:
No. It looks to me like the exhaust from the engine will link to the black tube circled in red that will then feed out the back at the point you can see between the mechanics legs. It looks like mac have designed it this way so that if that black pipe and further ducting that may be made of 'exotic' materials is deemed to be part of the exhaust then they can remove shiny black pipe and have the exhaust coming out the sidepod and blow over the floor - hence why they've put all that heat shielding across the back. Just what I'm thinking, could be wrong.
Show us the exhuast between the mechanics legs? There is nothing there, just the floor.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

To me it looks thicker than a conventional piece of the floor and seems to curve under, I may be wrong as it's tricky to see much and the light is tricky. I was only thinking that way because that black pipe from sidepod to floor has to lead somewhere and I can't see any other reason for that being there other than for the exhaust.