Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Interesting note from that video is that the wing which has a small slot on the lower plane to make it more like a triple element can be closed up with a panel if they wish.

EDIT: So is this the reason for a split sidepod inlet, a double radiator?

Credit to slideways at Autosport Forums.
http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?s ... &p=4907785
Last edited by Owen.C93 on 24 Mar 2011, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

halllo_fireball
halllo_fireball

Looks like it, but I am curious to see a similar shot where the front of the sidepods is exposed as well.

dren

Maybe one for KERS and one for the engine?
Honda!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

KERS shouldn't need to be that big. I presume it's just for tight packaging, the Merc is already pretty slim despite the short wheelbase.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

bot6
bot6

That double decker radiator array could very well be the reason for the carbon fiber "rod" we could see through the sidepod inlet before. It was just the separation between the two inlet ducts, one for each radiator. Pretty interesting setup, and now it's obvious why Mercedes had some cooling issues at first with such an unconventional cooling system.

Also, it shows why Mercedes is not running a forward exiting exhaust like Renault. Look how tightly everything fits together at the front of the sidepod!

This solution raises the CG a bit, but it might help with weight distribution, concentrating the masses closer to the center of the car...

dren

I'm thinking Mercedes figured out the optimal exhaust location and floor length, then designed the packaging of the car around that. So I'm thinking the dual radiators is a packaging solution so the exhaust can curl forward with such a short wheel base.
Honda!

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

Mercedes definitely made a huge effort to make the car as short as possible. Between the forward facing half shafts and the radiator packaging it becomes apparent that a short wheel base was a major goal for them. It also explains the cooling issues that they were having. The question is why? More turn in, better on tighter tracks, more suited to schumachers style? This could be a good conversation.

dren

Like I stated above, I'd say it was all for aero purposes. Their exhaust layout and diffuser probably required it.
Honda!

Ferraripilot

AbbaleRacing77 wrote:Mercedes definitely made a huge effort to make the car as short as possible. Between the forward facing half shafts and the radiator packaging it becomes apparent that a short wheel base was a major goal for them. It also explains the cooling issues that they were having. The question is why? More turn in, better on tighter tracks, more suited to schumachers style? This could be a good conversation.

It's sort of a combination of everything as I see it. Shorter base will take better advantage of the diff and the exhaust gases not to mention the flickable Lancia Stratos style turn-in a shorter base yields. Schu has always been ok with a loose rear end but tons of oversteer. I forget which Benetton car it was that no one could drive or like except Schumacher. Was it 94?

Nico stated in a German article that he is having to shed off speed in higher speed corners due to the Pirelli tires, which he is stating are not matching his driving style and does not particularly enjoy. I'm wondering if this will be a flip-flop year for Nico vs Schu in terms of tires.

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

I don't think it's just for exhaust packaging... Look at the photo taken from above the Mercedes and look at how pitched forward the rear a arms are. This will help in making the car more flickable and suited for what micheal wants or Braun has found a wheel base that has more of an advantage with the required weight distribution. This could also mean a car that has less bind or scrub In the corners leading to better tire wear but ultimately a little slower in the really fast flowing corners.

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

What comes to mind is when I won a rotax kart championship around 10 years ago. The spec tire was vega reds and they wore so fast In the front it wasn't even funny but you still had to make them last till the end of the race. For the last 10 laps you could see the front tires literally coming apart and to win I had to switch from a smooth driving style to an aggressive style pitching the kart before you got to the corner with some fast input and different braking techniques because turn in completely went away. Therfore steering the kart with the back allowed me to keep the best pace possible. Mercedes may be doing the same and are planning to be the fastest car not on good tires but fastest when everyones tires go to hell. If there really is such a huge degradation rate with these pirellis it will pay off to be fastest on worn tires because theyre gonna worn In 5 laps or less. A short wheelbase will have an advantage for this.

shelly
shelly

AbbaleRacing77 wrote:Mercedes definitely made a huge effort to make the car as short as possible. Between the forward facing half shafts and the radiator packaging it becomes apparent that a short wheel base was a major goal for them. It also explains the cooling issues that they were having. The question is why? More turn in, better on tighter tracks, more suited to schumachers style? This could be a good conversation.

It is the same question I posted some time ago: why has merc chosen this short wheelbase and has seemingly made a lot of other choices as consequnce?
twitter: @armchair_aero

BorisTheBlade

This question has been answered several times over the course of the thread already.
To sum it up (rather roughly):
  • A shorter wheelbase saves weight (as you obviously need fewer material to build a short car). This has been explained in Scarbs' Blog.
  • Brawn himself stated that they calculated the preferred shape and angle of their floor and diffuser concerning the new regulations and as a result their wheelbase and overall length was the optimum.
  • Just a guess of several users: This might also give them the ideal distance between sidepod and tyres/diffuser for their exhaust-design.

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

Seeing that there gonna be driving on worn tires for a good portion of the race I think drivability on junk rubber is a good one to add to the list

halllo_fireball
halllo_fireball

I don't think their Laptime dropoff was particularly brilliant during testing. But let's wait for the first races...