Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
luca
luca

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Mercedes GP - The MGP W02 in details: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPLgDc5LkaI

Is the Mercedes logo on the nose really embossed? I know it is just a very small detail, but is it ideal from an aerodynamic point of view?

luca
luca

Nico Rosberg Q&A: Mercedes ‘very quick’ this year

[...]
Q: Your team mate Michael Schumacher’s fastest lap time in Barcelona received a lot of hype, even though Sebastian Vettel argued that it was set with an extremely light car. Was it just a morale booster or are you really as good as that time suggests? Couldn’t you show that pace before?
NR:
We could not show this in the tests before, simply because our car was slow back then. At the Barcelona tests the car was much quicker, even though the car was light on fuel. We basically know how much fuel the other teams are running on, and taking this into consideration, we can assume where we are and we think that we are very quick this year.
[...]
Q: Massive upgrades were promised for Melbourne. What are they?
NR:
They are mainly aerodynamic upgrades, and also various exhaust changes. Still, in Barcelona we were already running the Melbourne car. We just carried out some fine-tuning, and there were also some bits and pieces missing that we now have in place.
[...]
Full interview here: http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 11848.html

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Recent talk about the promotional video has been split into a seperate topic found here:
:arrow: W02 promo video
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

zgred

Spartan202
Spartan202

wow, now that looks race ready :)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

No problems with fit and finish now is there? Looks like Mercedes changed their entire engineering squad in the space of Barcelona and Oz.....or maybe Im just being cynical 8)
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

Isn't that the old FW? I remember the new(er) wing has a two-piece cascade element.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

raymondu999 wrote:Isn't that the old FW? I remember the new(er) wing has a two-piece cascade element.
It most certainly is.

Although you may remember the drivers swapping from old to new at various stages during the Barca test, favouring the old.
Last edited by JohnsonsEvilTwin on 25 Mar 2011, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
More could have been done.
David Purley

shelly
shelly

in zqred picture, the front brake duct scoop seems to be made out of provisional rapid prototyping. Maybe a new shape they have not havetime to buld in carbon?
twitter: @armchair_aero

Richard
Richard

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:No problems with fit and finish now is there? Looks like Mercedes changed their entire engineering squad in the space of Barcelona and Oz)
I'd like to see a close up of their side pod and engine covers. They seemed the least finished, esp the junction with the floor.

siskue2005

richard_leeds wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:No problems with fit and finish now is there? Looks like Mercedes changed their entire engineering squad in the space of Barcelona and Oz)
I'd like to see a close up of their side pod and engine covers. They seemed the least finished, esp the junction with the floor.

The FOZ
The FOZ

shelly wrote:in zqred picture, the front brake duct scoop seems to be made out of provisional rapid prototyping. Maybe a new shape they have not havetime to buld in carbon?
Not necessarily...Windform XT is a carbon-reinforced RP media that is quite acceptable for race usage. RBR was using (I believe) mirror housings made from the stuff last season at one point.

segedunum
segedunum

The sidepods and the floor are where they had issues in testing, along with some bizarre bodywork scorching.

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

I am surprised to see that louvred outlet just above the exhaust. They has it during testing but it seemed to have duct tape on the inside to seal it off. I seem to remember a posting saying that was necessary as openings were not permitted & later they had a solid covering where the louvres now again are. Am I confused?

Ferraripilot

indeed they did and it appears the top rear portion of the sidepod has some scorching.

I noticed Schu and Nico are running what I call the Mark II wing which is essentially the wing they started with but with the 3rd horizontal plane slots. Any conjecture as to why Mark III with the additional cascade wasn't used? I know Schu said it upset the balance somehow. If you don't like it, you don't like it I guess