McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

copperkipper1 wrote:I Love McLaren and I never lost faith like so many people. This is a championship winning car. The "upgradability factor" on it must be one of highest out of all of the competitors I can't wait to see the later revisions as the season progresses especially when they get that front wing sorted out as it's still a cm or two higher than the bulls.
Really? How do you figure? Looking at the cars I always thought the Bull and the Horse were both the ones with massive upgrade potential from a good chassis, while the McLaren seems an average chassis that has been super-upgraded and hence is close to their full potential
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

thedutchguy

I brightened up the image a bit, so the exhaust become more clearly visible.

(Click this link if the embedded image doesn't work: http://yfrog.com/h8vf7paj)

Are the exhausts supposed to blow the flaps on the inside of the wheels? Seems like a sensible idea, putting downforce directly on the unsprung mass of the wheels, instead of on the body of the car and then through the suspension to the wheels.
Last edited by thedutchguy on 25 Mar 2011, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

JB2011
JB2011

One pipe is lower than the other - maybe it was more rushed than we thought!

shelly
shelly

thedutchguy wrote:Are the exhausts supposed to blow the flaps on the inside of the wheels? Seems like a sensible idea, putting downforce directly on the unsprung mass of the wheels, instead of on the body of the car and then through the suspension to the wheels.
I think so. And I think tahta they are also supposed to roll aound the omega edge of the diffuser and enter in the diffuser from below: that explains the temperature sensitive strips in th diffuser
twitter: @armchair_aero

myurr
myurr

raymondu999 wrote:
copperkipper1 wrote:I Love McLaren and I never lost faith like so many people. This is a championship winning car. The "upgradability factor" on it must be one of highest out of all of the competitors I can't wait to see the later revisions as the season progresses especially when they get that front wing sorted out as it's still a cm or two higher than the bulls.
Really? How do you figure? Looking at the cars I always thought the Bull and the Horse were both the ones with massive upgrade potential from a good chassis, while the McLaren seems an average chassis that has been super-upgraded and hence is close to their full potential
The McLaren is a brand new design that has more scope for fine tuning as the team learns what works and what doesn't, and how to get the best from it. They also haven't had much running to date so probably have more scope for setup improvements.

Red Bull and Ferrari are evolutions of well known concepts so should already be closer to their optimum, barring a substantial change in concept (like adding L side pods or FEE, if they prove to be the better designs, etc.)

ianwit
ianwit

JB2011 wrote:One pipe is lower than the other - maybe it was more rushed than we thought!
That's been done to comply with the F1t asymmetry requirements ;)
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

megasyxx
megasyxx

what pipe? where's the pipe? :?:

thestig84
thestig84

boci wrote:
thestig84 wrote:
fausto cedros wrote:Looks like the upgrade is working?
Yeah they look like they have got them back in the hunt. 1 and 2 right now in FP2 with 20mins to go and the DRS in race setting so not likely to be beaten. Saying that Vettel got within 0.160 not using the rear wing.

Good signs with so little running of the car overall let alone in this config.
Vettel was using the adjustable rear wing on his fastest lap.

I wonder if they are going to keep the diffuser white or are they going to paint it. Also wonder if the white stuff is a coating or is the entire thing made out of this white material.
No he was not. He set his time during the last 30 minutes of the session when the wing was being tested in 'race mode' In case you still dont believe me here is Jenson Button confirming it

adamcooperf1 Adam Cooper
#F1 Jenson Button: "When Sebastian did his quick lap he wasn't using his rear wing, I was watching." He thinks RBR has pace to spare

raymondu999

Interesting. Jenson Button categorically, and not ambiguously, confirms that no DRS was used. But then again, Vettel categorically, not ambiguously, confirms that it was used :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Holm86

JB2011 wrote:One pipe is lower than the other - maybe it was more rushed than we thought!

OMG!

Nuff said!

PrancingBull
PrancingBull

Excuse the ignorance here, but could someone point out exactly which shapes on the photo are the exhaust outlets. I think I'm struggling with depth perception on this shot too, so it's hard to see what's blowing what!

Cheers

gibells
gibells

ianwit wrote:
That's been done to comply with the F1t asymmetry requirements ;)
I see your asymmetrigate and raise you an illusiogate.

wunderkind
wunderkind

PrancingBull wrote:Excuse the ignorance here, but could someone point out exactly which shapes on the photo are the exhaust outlets. I think I'm struggling with depth perception on this shot too, so it's hard to see what's blowing what!

Cheers
right next to the bottom inner edge of the tyres and on the outter edges of the diffuser.

Holm86

PrancingBull wrote:Excuse the ignorance here, but could someone point out exactly which shapes on the photo are the exhaust outlets. I think I'm struggling with depth perception on this shot too, so it's hard to see what's blowing what!

Cheers

Just below the white winglets mounted on the rear uprights....

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

thedutchguy wrote:I brightened up the image a bit, so the exhaust become more clearly visible.

(Click this link if the embedded image doesn't work: http://yfrog.com/h8vf7paj)

Are the exhausts supposed to blow the flaps on the inside of the wheels? Seems like a sensible idea, putting downforce directly on the unsprung mass of the wheels, instead of on the body of the car and then through the suspension to the wheels.
Those winglets on the wheel hubs are right in line with the air channeled through the U shaped sidepods - it looks like they're effectively increasing the size of the beam wing.