McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
feynman
feynman

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Quick question, while we're waiting.

I was always under the impression that the fans stuffed into inlets in the garage were for cooling, y'know dry ice and/or fast moving air, that kind of thing.

Well I still think that, but anyone care to speculate on why exactly the McLaren devices are labelled as heaters. Bung Heater and KERS Heater:

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I think while in the pits they will keep coolant and oil at a warm temperature (40c-60c ish) so they are ready to go out when they need to. Dry ice will be reserved for brakes mainly.

Maybe that's why, I don't know. Interesting observation.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

copperkipper1
copperkipper1

The exhuasts are not at different heights It's just the camera is not aiming straight at the car....We know anyway that it is a slightly rushed design

shelly
shelly

Dragonfly wrote:Maybe both splitting and strengthening structurally.
I hink division is there mainlt for structural reasons
twitter: @armchair_aero

halllo_fireball
halllo_fireball

Owen.C93 wrote:I think while in the pits they will keep coolant and oil at a warm temperature (40c-60c ish) so they are ready to go out when they need to. Dry ice will be reserved for brakes mainly.

Maybe that's why, I don't know. Interesting observation.
Apart from that it could well be, that the batteries are pre-heated or cooled, so they are operating in a healthy temperature window right from the start.

zgred

Coefficient
Coefficient

bonjon1979 wrote:
thedutchguy wrote:I brightened up the image a bit, so the exhaust become more clearly visible.

(Click this link if the embedded image doesn't work: http://yfrog.com/h8vf7paj)

Are the exhausts supposed to blow the flaps on the inside of the wheels? Seems like a sensible idea, putting downforce directly on the unsprung mass of the wheels, instead of on the body of the car and then through the suspension to the wheels.
Those winglets on the wheel hubs are right in line with the air channeled through the U shaped sidepods - it looks like they're effectively increasing the size of the beam wing.

No! The rear wheel upright aero profile is too volatile to incorporate into the beam wing function. (imagine waving your hand in front of a hair drier, you can feel the blockage already and thats before you think about the logditudinal effect) Your idea would be feasible 15 - 20 years ago but aero is far more critical today. The new rear end of the Mclaren has been designed purely as an interim solution to address the red bull solution and to get on terms with them for the start of the season. The exhaust blows the diffuser and creates a low pressure area behind the rear tyres.

Mclaren will optimise their original design within 3 rqces and then we will see where the field stands

If Mclaren can compete with a compromised design, god help the rest when they finally dial in the tech!!!
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

You mentioned the 3 race time line before, lets hope it comes through.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

forty-two

These RW endplates are barely attached to the floor at all. Perhaps this is why McLaren went for a beamwing attached to the crash structure?

As always Zgred, excellent pictures.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

horse

zgred wrote:Image
So the way I see it is that the exhaust must be encountering the lower wheel hub element, otherwise it wouldn't be made of this white material. I should imagine this provides some benefits by adding to the low pressure suction zones in a similar manner to the beam wing.

What intrigues me is the temp paint on the bottom of the diffuser. I'm not 100% sure I agree with shelly who said that this was because exhaust gas was drawn in around the sides.

I am wondering whether the exhaust blowing over the top is heating the underside of the diffuser which will help with boundary layer excitement? Possible? Might explain the white material if it allows a bit more conduction.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

speedsense
speedsense

Anyone have any guesses as to what the blue striping is on top as well as inside the diffuser?
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

speedsense wrote: Anyone have any guesses as to what the blue striping is on top as well as inside the diffuser?
Temperature paint.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ell66
ell66

Just_a_fan wrote:
speedsense wrote: Anyone have any guesses as to what the blue striping is on top as well as inside the diffuser?
Temperature paint.
he;s not asking what it is, but why its there....

horse

I just reposted this in the Merc thread but I think it's interesting for comparison.

To me this really shows how much more important the Gurney on the diffuser is this year. All that space creation must be to get that big Gurney working. There's hardly a Gurney at all on the MP4-25 diffuser above compared to that on this years car below. Also the upper wheel wings do seem to have increased in size.

"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

speedsense
speedsense

Just_a_fan wrote:
Temperature paint.
MMM...never seen temp paint that color, it's usually red, orange or yellow in this temp range....
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus