Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Re: Mercedes GP W02

siskue2005 wrote: Image
How come this gill is allowed? It is not connected to the exhaust opening with a slit as far as I can see. Can anyone explain?

Code: Select all

3.8.5     Once the relevant bodywork surfaces are defined in accordance with Article 3.8.4, apertures, any of
           which may adjoin or overlap each other, may be added for the following purposes only : 
           - single apertures either side of the car centre line for the purpose of exhaust exits. These apertures 
             may have a combined area of no more than 50,000mm 2  when projected onto the surface itself. No 
             point on an aperture may be more than 350mm from any other point on the aperture. 
           - apertures either side of the car centre line for the purpose of allowing suspension members and 
             driveshafts to protrude through the bodywork. No such aperture may have an area greater than 
             12,000 mm 2 when projected onto the surface itself. No point on an aperture may be more than 
             200mm from any other point on the aperture. 

bot6
bot6

I think the gill still counts as the "exhaust aperture", as it is less than 350mm from the exhaust.
Last edited by bot6 on 25 Mar 2011, 18:58, edited 2 times in total.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

bot6 wrote:I think the gill still counts as the "exhaust aperture", as it is less than 350mm from the exhaust.
But the slit they used last year was to get around the "single apertures either side of the car centre line for the purpose of exhaust exits" part. How come they don't need that now? IMO those are four separate apertures, where one is used for the exhaust..

bot6
bot6

I think as long as they are within those dimensions (and the 50'000mm^2 area limit), they can have as many different openings as they want. Otherwise, the new McLaren and the Renault exhausts would be illegal, as a splitter separates the exhaust pipe in two.

shelly
shelly

The FOZ wrote:
shelly wrote:in zqred picture, the front brake duct scoop seems to be made out of provisional rapid prototyping. Maybe a new shape they have not havetime to buld in carbon?
Not necessarily...Windform XT is a carbon-reinforced RP media that is quite acceptable for race usage. RBR was using (I believe) mirror housings made from the stuff last season at one point.
I think that even with windform you would have some weight penalty compared to carbon, so maybe you would go for that only in case of time shortage. Maybe redbull had rapid prototype mirrors when last year mirror positioning rules was changed with very short notice.
twitter: @armchair_aero

bot6
bot6

Or maybe they are carbon fiber ducts painted with the same heat shielding paint McLaren used on their diffuser.

zgred

shelly
shelly

bot6 wrote:Or maybe they are carbon fiber ducts painted with the same heat shielding paint McLaren used on their diffuser.
I don't think so, because they don't need to be heat shielded
twitter: @armchair_aero

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

Am i mistaken or is the whole rear wing unit attached to the beam wing and crash structure ONLY? Imagine a flexible rear wing that works like this: Downforce bends the structure of the beam wing downwards and enables the twisting effect like on rb`s front wing. Drag creates torque and the rear wing moves backwards ( as the endplates are attached to the beam wing). This would decrease the angle of attack and decrease drag. Would this be ok with the FIA regularities?

gerhard
gerhard

Looks like the cam on the top of the car is back to a more traditional position. That's a pity, as the previous solution gave the car a very unique look... :(

The FOZ
The FOZ

ForMuLaOne wrote:Am i mistaken or is the whole rear wing unit attached to the beam wing and crash structure ONLY? Imagine a flexible rear wing that works like this: Downforce bends the structure of the beam wing downwards and enables the twisting effect like on rb`s front wing. Drag creates torque and the rear wing moves backwards ( as the endplates are attached to the beam wing). This would decrease the angle of attack and decrease drag. Would this be ok with the FIA regularities?
You're correct about the RW mounting - endplates attach to the beam wing, beam wing mounts to the crash structure.

Your solution would be a non-flexible rear wing, on a flexible mount (beam wing), which is still bodywork deflection, and AFAIK, still very illegal.

I'd consider something like this very dangerous, since disruption of the airflow around the beam wing would cause some very unpredictable reactions at the RW.

More reasonable would be an inflexible crossbeam mount for the RW endplates, with the beam wing fitting onto the crossbeam, and being flexible itself.

horse

Basically repeating The FOZ, but it took me minutes to write so you're getting it anyway:
ForMuLaOne wrote:Am i mistaken or is the whole rear wing unit attached to the beam wing and crash structure ONLY?

Would this be ok with the FIA regularities?
Yes, and this is a solution that McLaren have adopted, also. It has been speculated that such an arrangement is not so good for the operation of the beam wing, but it must also be advantageous to stop the end plates way off the diffuser top (not entirely sure why - they must cause some sort of interference - anyone wish to speculate?).

I very much doubt this is about the entire wing flexing though, as I think this would be very hard to control and the FIA would have a freak considering the famous rear wing failures of the past. Lose the beam wing in a high speed corner and you're in a lot of trouble.

EDIT: Looking to the past, the wing on last years McLaren is supported in a similar manner. But look how much extra junk is below the beam wing!

"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Hangaku

I find it incredible that the rear wing is mounted purely to the crash structure. In what manner is it attached? That's some damn sticky glue! :lol:

Edit: btw, not doubting you guys, just saying it looks like the rear wing would ping off even with just a tiny amount of force.
Yer.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Hangaku wrote:I find it incredible that the rear wing is mounted purely to the crash structure. In what manner is it attached? That's some damn sticky glue! :lol:

Edit: btw, not doubting you guys, just saying it looks like the rear wing would ping off even with just a tiny amount of force.
Just out of interest... how else would you mount the wing? Central pillars have only been used in recent years...

Morteza

Guys, is it me or the car has that winglet only on the right side of its nose?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare